PDA

View Full Version : There is a light and it never goes out!!!

latic
29-03-06, 16:46
Hey everyone. This sight is amazing I really wish I'd have found it months ago.

Ive been suffering from panic attacks since November last year. They began to become more and more frequent as time past until eventually in Jan my Doctor diagnosed Panis Attacks.

I feel I have read everything there is going and it has helped immensely. The severity of each attack has fallen and I feel I am coping a lot better. However, I have been drinking in the evening to relax if I have felt tense/anxious throughout the day, also if I feel a bad attack coming on and get the opportunity I do turn to drink. I know this isnt the answer and is not resolving the problem, but I hope that the fact I have acknowleged this is half the battle and it wont become a problem.

We can beat it!!!

Take Care xxx

Meg
29-03-06, 16:51
Glad you have gained understanding and knowledge about whats going on within you, it does help .

Well done for doing so well and seeing an improvement.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

trac67
29-03-06, 17:06
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

clickaway
29-03-06, 17:08
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad also that you are recognising the issues.

Why not try come posting on here, or joining in the chat room banter rather than reaching for the bottle one night soon.

Nothing wrong with a drop for relaxation, as long as it doesn't get out of hand or make your panics worse.

Be kind to yourself,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Karen
29-03-06, 17:30
Hi Latic

Welcome to the forum.

It is good you recognise that the alcohol is not helping and can actually make anxiety worse. I think Ray's suggestions of finding some distractions could be helpful, particularly doing things that occupy your mind fully.

Hope we can help to support you here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Alexandra
29-03-06, 21:38
Hi Latic

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Ma Larkin
30-03-06, 09:56
Hi Latic, I'm a bit like you too. If I feel a bit panicky I tend to have a drink, I only drinkin Carling lager, nothing much at home just the odd can, but when I go out I'm a big binge-drinker. The only trouble is, the following day you don't know if its anxiety or hangover!! I stayed at my mum's recently because my son broke his leg (she lives in a bungalow so it was easier for my son to get about). It was all too easy to go out because I had a babysitter every night of the week if I wanted to go out. I'm back home now, so hoping to cut down on the binge-drinking as I won't be going out so much now. I too have acknowledged the fact that its not resolving the problem, but its easier said than done mate sometimes isn't it. I've suffered for 12 months now, & have learnt to cope quite well. Hope you get there & we can beat it!!

Take care.

Les, xx

latic
30-03-06, 10:21
That is my tipple too Les. Thanx for the reply. I dont go out that often so I do tend to have cans at home.... classy bird!!! It really chills me out. I am drinking nearly everyday at the moment but trying to get an interest to get me out of the house, although the thought of it makes me feel panicky Iknow Ive got to do it. The hard thing is when I get anxious or tense I know it gets rid of it and at the time thaths all you want.

If you ever want a natter or a good moan get in touch. Wish you every successs and thanx again.

Take Care

Sarah xx

sal
31-03-06, 00:10
Admittting to it si the next step forward. It does release the pressure and i rely on it to do that so know how you feel. Maybe we could work through this together. Always here to help and support you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

latic
01-04-06, 10:59
Thank you for your support Sal. Ive only been registered on the site a few days and yesterday managed my first day without a drink to help me relax!!!! I cant say I felt 100%, felt v anxious towards the afternoon as I had to go to my daughters acheivement assembly, but I got through it. Just taking it day by day.

Would be great to have the support of someone similar to me. Please PM me if you want to talk.

Take Care hope to speak soon xxx

lisarose
01-04-06, 12:50
Hi latic, welcome to the forum, you will get lots of help and support here and make some great friends. I used to use drink as a crutch and I must admit it did get a bit out of hand. It used to calm my nerves but I used to feel so much worse in the middle of the night when I would suffer panic attacks and the next day I would feel very anxious. I stopped for 4 months when I went on new medication and found I felt so much better without the drink but I did fall off the wagon quite a few times when I was feeling stressed. I haven't had a drink for 9 months as I am pregnant and due to give birth on 22nd of April but I must admit I am looking forward to having the odd glass of wine again but I know that I can't drink as i used to as I know that my panic attacks will return if I do.
Have you tried any medication at all as this may help as it worked for me. send me a PM if you need to chat and I hope I can help in some way.
Take care and remember you are not alone and you will get through this.
Love Lisax