PDA

View Full Version : oh no! dentist at 12.25

allergyphobia
27-01-11, 10:50
my gum (just one small section) started swelling yesterday and now it is very sore red and swollen so i have booked an emergency dentist appointment.

fine but i am absolutely bricking it, firstly i am terrified on the dentist because of my phobia of a latex allergy and then secondly what if i have an abcess!!

i'm at work winding myself up and i am terrified and know i am going to freak out or something terrible is going to happen.

:weep:

ladybird64
27-01-11, 10:54
Nope, nothing awful is going to happen and you will be back on here later telling us how it went. :)

If you were allergic to Latex you would know by now and also if it is an abcess, you will be started on treatment for it.

I can't remember if you have a fear of taking meds but have been so impressed by your posts on getting out and about and going for meals no less..just look on this as another challenge that you weren't expecting.

You will do just great, looking forward to hearing how you felt the fear and did it anyway! :hugs:

JaneC
27-01-11, 10:59
Hi Amber, Ladybird's right: you have been so brave about other things - you can do this too! :hugs:

It's really no big deal if you have an abcess - they'll just give you antibiotics to clear it up which is only a problem if you have bother taking ABs? xxx

allergyphobia
27-01-11, 11:01
Thanks so much Lady x x

Think it'd made worse by the fact it's lady time so I am feeling hormonal to the maximum and feel like I am going to go in there and burst into tears!

I just don't know why the latex thing doesn't stick in my head, it's such common sense... come on woman, be rational!!

I am a bit/lot iffy with meds but thank you so much about my other posts. I did eat some spaghetti on toast yesterday (sounds so silly but haven't eaten it for over a year!) so i know i can still keep on going and challenging myself....

You're right this is another challenge. Time for a quick cuppa and to get myself together!!! But just the thought is making my tense my throat in anticipation! Argh.

:hugs:

allergyphobia
27-01-11, 11:04
Hi Amber, Ladybird's right: you have been so brave about other things - you can do this too! :hugs:

It's really no big deal if you have an abcess - they'll just give you antibiotics to clear it up which is only a problem if you have bother taking ABs? xxx

Hi Jane :hugs: thank you x x x

I'm a little funny about anti-bs but not too bad... i think it's more the latex thing i am worried about, and just mithering in general. It's time to get brave isn't it... sometimes an unexpected challenge can help us!! if he puts those gloves near me then afterwards i will know i am NOT allergic.

Why doesn't that go into my thick head now then!?
:wall: xxx

JaneC
27-01-11, 11:06
Lol Amber, good luck, I'm sure you will be fine :yesyes:

midgey
27-01-11, 11:09
Hi allergyphobia,

I posted the same thing at the weekend. I had really swollen gums and my jaw was really swollen.
As it was the weekend I rang the emergency Drs and they prescribed antibiotics. Ive been taking them for 4 days now and its all back to normal.
You will be fine, as others have said, you'll be back on here later telling us ur fine. Do u have an ipod? I wonder if you could listen to some music whilst they are looking in your mouth.
I'm sure they'll give u antibiotics and if they're ones uve taken before hopefully u'll feel less anxious about taking them.
Good Luck and let us know how u get on.

allergyphobia
27-01-11, 11:09
Why does your throat feel like it's closing almost in anticipation!? it is SO annoying!!!!!!

allergyphobia
27-01-11, 11:14
Hi allergyphobia,

I posted the same thing at the weekend. I had really swollen gums and my jaw was really swollen.
As it was the weekend I rang the emergency Drs and they prescribed antibiotics. Ive been taking them for 4 days now and its all back to normal.
You will be fine, as others have said, you'll be back on here later telling us ur fine. Do u have an ipod? I wonder if you could listen to some music whilst they are looking in your mouth.
I'm sure they'll give u antibiotics and if they're ones uve taken before hopefully u'll feel less anxious about taking them.
Good Luck and let us know how u get on.

Oh midgey thanks so much for replying! Just had a look at your post. were you fine with the penicillin?

i do have an ipod, with some relaxation on, i might explain to the dentist i have anxiety and a phobia...

i'll let everyone know how i get on... it's the combination of it all, the latex, the potential abcess, the anti-bs! but i guess we always know the expectation is ALWAYS worse... just a nasty trick of anxiety...

thanks so much for your advice and support :hugs:xxx

ladybird64
27-01-11, 11:19
Thanks so much Lady x x

Think it'd made worse by the fact it's lady time so I am feeling hormonal to the maximum and feel like I am going to go in there and burst into tears!

I just don't know why the latex thing doesn't stick in my head, it's such common sense... come on woman, be rational!!

I am a bit/lot iffy with meds but thank you so much about my other posts. I did eat some spaghetti on toast yesterday (sounds so silly but haven't eaten it for over a year!) so i know i can still keep on going and challenging myself....

You're right this is another challenge. Time for a quick cuppa and to get myself together!!! But just the thought is making my tense my throat in anticipation! Argh.

:hugs:

Amber..since when do us panickers get rational? Irrationality is what we do so well! :roflmao:

That throat of your is only tensing because of all that anticipatory anxiety, muscles working overtime. I have had the same thing recently when I go out (I get the occasional PA) and it has developed into this horrible squeezing feeling that makes me cough and then want to throw up. So embarrassing!

But throats don't close up like that. I have got a lot of allergies and it is a totally different kettle of fish (which I am also allergic to!)..it is swelling of the soft tissues.

Your throat is playing up cos you are scared and that's ok..it's just another step on your road to feeling better. You can handle this no problem. :)

Spaghetti on toast eh? No stopping you now! :hugs:

allergyphobia
27-01-11, 11:27
Haha so true, see look how delirious i am talking rubbish about rationality :doh:

Thank you for explaining, that's helped a lot.. and also the fact it's happening now helps me to seperate things out... like look, I am doing this to myself, not anything else!!!

I totally get that, cause i have a strange cough anyway and it all turns into a gag.. it's lovely isnt it, hehe!

How funny I didn't know you had allergies... something actually real for you and it's not even why you get anxious. The mind is incredible (and annoying)

Thanks so much :hugs: might even reward myself with more spaghetti on toast as a post-dentist reward!!!

xxxxxx

midgey
27-01-11, 11:47
Hi, It's me again !!
Yep, I was fine on the penicillin....I was so worried about taking them, but I was fine.
Good luck and let us know how u get on.

allergyphobia
27-01-11, 13:35
Thank you everybody! I survived. I must admit I cheated a bit, I explained about my anxiety and asked him to use non-latex gloves... but I think this was okay, because it meant I didn't completely freak out. I've got to see a hygeniest in a couple of weeks and I'm not going to let myself do the same again...

I have an abcess... he drained it and got anti-bios... said it was very unusual for someone my age! (just my luck :winks:).

thanks for your support everybody... feeling very sorry for myself now hehe xxx

Mogwog
27-01-11, 13:44
Ahh glad you are ok!!! You did it!!!:D

Laura.x

ladybird64
27-01-11, 21:16
Never doubted you for a second-well done. :hugs:

Hazel B
27-01-11, 22:10
Well done, I've just seen this and I'm really pleased for you!:yesyes:

You're slowly facing all your fears and doing really well.:hugs:x

allergyphobia
28-01-11, 11:04
:hugs: Thank you everybody!!!

Gum permitting, I'm going to go out for lunch on Sunday in a new place!

Thank you for all of your support. Just want to pick up the pace now and run with this thing....

x x x

JaneC
28-01-11, 11:17
Way to go Amber, great to see you over another hurdle :yahoo:

allergyphobia
28-01-11, 11:35
:hugs: Thank you x x x

I guess the more I'm doing, the more I can see, I can do these things, and be OK... that's the best "cure" out there I think... x

Hazel B
28-01-11, 17:33
You're doing really well, you should be proud of yourself!

:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

NervousNellie
28-01-11, 18:24
Hi allergyphopia!! I'm so glad that you did so well at the dentist!! One thing I don't understand though is why they told you an abscess is unusual for your age? I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm guessing you're not a small child! My sister used to be a hygienist and she had people of all ages come in with abscesses (except for the very small children). But if you're 18 and up, you're an adult and it's fair game!
In any event, you should be proud of yourself! Well done! :D

allergyphobia
31-01-11, 09:32
Thank you everybody :hugs:

Hi Nellie, I'm 23 - really don't know why he said that either, if i was really bad that could have sent me into an anxiety spiral! Luckily i just ignored him, silly bugger!

:winks: xx