PDA

View Full Version : citalopram good news !!

jo1976die
28-01-11, 11:34
hi all this is to give some of you hope , to start at the beginning i have suffered with anxiety and depression for 9 years i have been doctors many times been given tablets and sent home slowley i decended into a really dark place. i never took the medication as i was petrified to take it i thought they would seroiusly hurt me (side effects) i havent took a tablet in 9 years. 9 days ago it all changed after reading the side effects googling side effects reading all the bad stories about citalopram i took my first ever tablet 10mg yes i had my mum with me for the first few days and i was sooooo scared which in its self raised my anxiety levels to a new high which was unbearable but once i had realised it wasnt the tablet doing it it was me winding my self up i started to calm down had a hot bath and a listen to some music. now on to the side effects i have felt up to i am on day 10 of this med they are a stomach ache not a bad one increased acid and heartburn 1 bad night with hightened anxiety a couple of shakey mornings but compared to how the depression and anxiety makes us feel it really is a small price to pay. i have now increased my dose to 15mg for a few days then up to 20mg . i am writing this for everyone as a message of hope after all the bad things you read there is good news somewhere i am hoping this makes someone who is also scared and anxious about taking meds realise its just not bad news with meds and takes there first step on the rd to recovery xxxx best wishes jodie :hugs:

Stezzle
28-01-11, 11:36
Nice one Jodie. How inspiring for others. Keep up the good work. :D xxx

Godzilla
28-01-11, 12:10
Excellent news :hugs:

I have been on Citalopram for 10 years now, highest dose was 80mg a day for 6 months (Meant to be 60mg according to BNF) It worked wonders for me. trouble is 10 years on and I'm pretty used to it so they have added another one in alongside it......I must say this is 10 years later though so dont worry, you will be fine for years!

I am the same as you though......scared of taking tablets!! I was in a right state about taking my first citalopram tab!

Paul :)

AnxiousEm
30-01-11, 19:22
I have been on 3 weeks now. I already feel the difference. Doctor initially prescribed Setraline which made me nauseous increased my anxiety and palpitations and made me feel generally quite detached and unwell. My mum even remarked that I didnt look right.

I know we all have differnt tolerences to drugs and how they work for us but for me I have found no issues and abit more able to cope rather than totally losing it over every little thing that goes wrong..

cinnamongirl
31-01-11, 09:34
Thanks for sharing, I've been taking sertraline for about 4years and I'm changing to citalopram over the next few weeks, so fingers crossed!:yesyes:

sal
01-02-11, 00:23
Jo thanks for your post and firstly pleased it has helped you and will continue to hun. I was just like you, fear of meds and reading the side affects crushed me. Funny as if i had a headache never read side affects of pain killers, but once suffering from depression and anxiety every sense is heightened. I persevered without meds and got so bad tried so many meds and they did actually make me worse, even tried citlopram and that made me worse but that was one of the last meds i tried and by then my head told me nothing would help me. Went back to docs and she out me on citlopram again but a lower dose and talked me through it and i am still on it and if i have to be for the rest of my ldays, wont argue as it gave me my life back and couldnt recomend a better anti depressant if you cant do it alone xxx