PDA

View Full Version : which medication?

Kat1984
18-03-04, 18:44
Hi-the doctor has given me 2 prescriptions(not at the same time)firstly he prescribed Clomipramine and then Ciprimil-i tried ciprimil for about 2 wks and did notice a slight difference.i have stopped taking it now but i know that i need to take some form of anti-depressant to make my life easier-i mainly suffer from anxiety,not really panic attacks,don't seem to be happy and think im going to drop dead nearly 10x aday.feelings of being unreal, confused thoughts of who i am-anyway these scarey thoughts i don't need or want.

i do understand that both anti-depressants i was prescribed are different types-e.g SRI's is Ciprimil

i really would like some guidance as to which medication i should take.

Kat

Meg
18-03-04, 18:54
Did you stop the ciprimil because of the newspaper article ?

Meg

Lottie32
18-03-04, 19:09
Hi Kat

I don't have any knowledge, just some experience.

I have struggled for ages, fighting against myself to "get better". I've joined the gym, changed my diet, taken supplements and reduced my drinking.

I'm also doing CBT.

However, all though all these things helped, something in January "snapped" and I really couldn't cope any more.

My CBT councellor recommended I discuss my depression with my doctor. As I had been doing lots of positive things, she was more than happy to prescribe SSRI's. I've been taking fluoxetine (prozac) for 6 weeks now, and it has made a difference to my life.

It's not earth shattering, I'm not suddenly the most happy person in the world, but I'm coping with the everyday much better, and not bursting into tears at every end and turn. My anxiety is abating to.

My advice to you would be to discuss your symptoms, and what you want the end result to be. Encompass everything your doctor suggests - the more you do to help yourself the better. Try any medication with an open mind.

Drug therapy is personal to the individual. I am happy on my fluoxetine. I have another friend who was successfully treated with it, and two whom it didn't suit!

Give it a fair trial. In my personal experience, an effect can be felt after three weeks, but a dramatic effect wasn't noticable until now (six weeks into daily medication).

You need to give it a fair try before you know which is the right one for you.

Many of my friends were not supportive, warning of addiction, side effects and basically some just frowned on those who needed a little chemical boost.

This was due to their ignorance. At the end of the day it is your decision whether you take medication or not, but view it as a positive step to recovery, which should be accompanied by other types of therapies, and above all, listen to what YOUR body is telling you!

Go back to the doctors - after all he is the expert and ask his advice. And try not to pay attention to articles in the newspapers written by journalists (if you want to read medical facts, stick with New Scientist or the Lancet!!!!)

good luck, and I hope you start to feel better soon.

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Kat1984
18-03-04, 20:13
well i stopped taking the ciprimil as firstly when i took it at night it stopped me from going to sleep which was too much when i am at college - i did get headaches but i then read a newspaper article about a week/2 later about a bigger risk of hemeorages taking place if on SRI'S-Clomipramine Is not an SRI'S but Ciprimil is.

Lottie32
19-03-04, 10:38
Kat1984

It doesn't sound like you are in the at risk group. I'm afraid that I wouldn't stop taking a medication cos of something I read in the paper - I'd at least discuss it with my GP, or even phone NHS Direct, or failing that, there is usually somebody knowledgable on this site to give advice.

You are more likely to do yourself harm by stopping taking prescribed medication without medical supervision, than you are likely to suffer as written in this article!

I take my fluoxetine in the morning when I get up, and have no problems sleeping as a result.

I really think you should go back to your GP and discuss this, make a list before you go of your concerns, and also what you still want to be able to do - I had a huge list when I started on the fluoxetine - I must still be able to have a few drinks each week, didn't want anything that would make me drowsy etc. etc.

Speaking personally, even if I was in the at risk group, the fluoxetine has done me so much good that I would rather run a nominal risk of haemoraging that feel as cr*p as I did.

Speak to your GP or phone the NHS Direct, and infuture do what I do - avoid all scaremongering stories in the Daily Mail.

There was one this week that PND does not exist and doctors are too keen to prescribe it, and should work harder to get mothers to bond with babies. Having had two close friends suffering from PND, I wouldn't like to be the journalist who wrote this if they ever catch up with him!!!!

Take care

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

stimpy
21-03-04, 03:22
I would definately suggest a chat to your doctor.
As a general rule most ssri's take 4 weeks before they kick in and really start to help.

If he/she has given you Clomipramine and then changed it to Ciprimil,
and ciprimil was the last thing he/she precribed for you,
I would take that to mean that it is Ciprimil that he/she wants you to take as it was prescribed last.
But the best way to be sure is to ask.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

blossom
21-03-04, 21:26
Radar. six weeks ago. my new doctor took me off of Cipramil, and put me on Cipralex, can you tell me the difference between the two SSRIs as on reading some of the notes, some people say its the same drug, they just changed the name because the 20 year patent had finished, I phoned the manufacturers in Denmark, and they said that something has been taken out of them, something called an isomer, If you know anything about them would you please post. I am still very weepy, and have been for about a year or more, never been like this before although had agoraphobia and panics, cant get out now. Thanyou. from Blossom

nomorepanic
21-03-04, 21:55
Bloss

Meg is away at the moment. You posted a similar post before - so take a look at ....
Meds that really work??? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=597)
I think she answers the question in there.

Nicola

Meg
22-03-04, 18:00
Thanks Nic.

I have answered it as well as I am able to Blossom.

I think some form of talk therapy along with your drugs Blossom would be beneficial. How are you getting along with your new doctor ?

Avoiding going out only makes your feel worse in many ways, please try to take steps to conquer this before you move.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...