PDA

View Full Version : In general - how long can you stay on meds

smb25
28-01-11, 14:09
Just wondered what the general feeling on this subject is, how long can you stay on AD's?

Lifelong if they give you a better quality of life?? months??

The reason I ask is that so many posts here seem to be about wanting/trying to come off meds.

:winks:

mtatum4496
28-01-11, 14:28
There is no real answer to this one, since there are so many reasons for anxiety/depression/panic/phobias - for people who've gone through some traumatic event that has triggered the problems, the gradual healing from the trauma will normally mean being able to wean off the medication. For people who have an ongoing health issue that triggers the nervous illness (to borrow a phrase from Dr. Claire Weekes), they may take the medication for years. It really boils down to the underlying causes for the illness and what is in the best interests of the individual.

Personally, I stopped setting goals for getting off medication. I have always hated any type of medication and as a result was putting way too much pressure on myself to "hurry up and get over it". Problem is, additional pressure and stress don't help you heal from anxiety, so in pressuring myself to wean off the medication I only made my situation worse.

I have successfully weaned off my antidepressant after taking it for two years. But I did not do it on a time table. One day I had a sense that I didn't need as much, my doctor agreed to try, and we gradually stepped down the dose, spending some time at a plateau or two along the way. I have not had a similar sense that it's time to start jettisoning the Xanax and am finally at a point that I no longer worry about it - I take it when I need it, and when I don't it stays in my pocket.

European
28-01-11, 15:43
I think it is comparatively rare to suffer from anxiety or panic disorder on the basis of Post Traumatic Stress. Most of us are just suffering from maladaptive thinking and behaviour, which is, well.... neurotic.

As for medication, I think everybody has to decide for themselves how long they want to stay on medication, and if they want to take it in the first place. I can see potential short term benefits when the going gets too tough, however, at the same time I can't help the feeling that medication is prescribed far too arbitrarily and glibly on the basis of GP's not having the time to deal with the problems in question properly, and therapy (at least here in the UK) is severely underfunded and often means long waiting lists.

I can't help the feeling that the general attitude regarding medication is rather superficial and nonchalant, and we're used to popping pills for the slightest little thing without even thinking about it these days.
Which is often not helpful at all and in the context of anxiety this has not just the potential of actually hindering people from actively learning to deal with their problems, but it also can lead to all kinds of dependence problems, physically as well as psychologically, which can easily outweigh the initial problems the pills have been taken for in the first place, and make everything considerably worse.

I think the question anybody can only answer for themselves in this context is whether the medication they are taking is being used as a 'crutch', or as an 'enabler'. This is not easily decided in theory, but I think the truth of the matter will become apparent once the medication has been stopped. That's when it becomes clear whether it has worked or not.
Also, another thing to bear in mind: There is no comprehensive and reliable research to this day regarding the long term effects of medication, particularly Anti Depressants. Given the fact that these treatments are relatively new, nobody really knows what the stuff does to your body and mind if its being taken over a long period of time. Which means there could be some potentially nasty surprises in store.

Ultimately, I think it's only the individual who can weigh all these aspects up and down, and hopefully make an informed decision. Ultimately, the choice is yours.

Vixxy
28-01-11, 16:41
Ive been on Ad's most of my adult life. Ive had periods where I came off them and then had to go back on again at a later date. Ive not had any problem coming off them, but i do feel like shit whenever I go back on them again!
As for how long I intend to be on them. I'm going to stay on a low dose until there comes a time when I actually need to come off them for pregnancy. If I dont get pregnant, I'm staying on them for the long term :D

ElizabethJane
28-01-11, 17:07
Ive been on Ad's most of my adult life. Ive had periods where I came off them and then had to go back on again at a later date. Ive not had any problem coming off them, but i do feel like shit whenever I go back on them again!
As for how long I intend to be on them. I'm going to stay on a low dose until there comes a time when I actually need to come off them for pregnancy. If I dont get pregnant, I'm staying on them for the long term :DI agree with you Vixxy. I suffer from severe recurrent depressive disorder currently stable. I am taking an anti d mirtazapine and a mood stabilise.r lithium. I cannot comment on anti anxiety meds although I do take the odd diazepan. My choice to stay on meds has nothing to do with politics or doctors time. The simple facts are if I come off my meds I will become ill and need to go on stronger meds or hospitalised. Please take alll the time you need on your meds. There is no race to come off them. Your doctor will advise you when is the best time. I hope that you feel better soon. EJ

smb25
28-01-11, 22:14
Thanks everyone.

I am expecting to be on my medication for the long haul and its reassuring to know that I am not alone in this!

:)