PDA

View Full Version : Paroxetine (seroxat)

foxyroxy
28-01-11, 17:17
Hi im new here and today have taken the big step of seeing my GP about the anxiety ive been suffering for over a year along with some depression, my GP has prescribed me Paroxetine (seroxat) 10mg, one a day.
Ive been looking this med up on the internet and am not finding a lot of positive reviews on it, ive read that it gives you weight gain, well im already overweight and hate it so i really dont want to gain anymore, also read that if you miss one dose it can have a really bad effect on you and they can give you bad effects when coming coming off of them. I had fluoxetine a few years ago to treat mild drepression and found them to be good, the GP said i could go back on them if i wanted but i explained that it was the anxiety that i mainly wanted treated so she suggested that i take the Paroxetine but im feeling slightly worried about taking them now, has anyone on here taken them or are taking them now?

European
28-01-11, 18:03
I've been on Seroxat twice over a decade ago, when I came down with anxiety and panic attacks. Even though the anxiety and panic was very unpleasant, with hindsight I wish I had never taken the Seroxat. It just made me feel numb and not quite myself, and I believe it only acted to cement the anxiety, as it neither tackled the fear of the fear, neither did it make it go away - but it established it firmly.

I wish there had been some CBT available at the time for me instead that would have informed me properly as to the causes and effects of the anxiety and panic, as well as showing me ways and techniques to actively deal with it. In my case, I'm quite convinced that the Seroxat made my condition worse and prolonged the suffering for years and years. Until I finally discovered CBT on my own accord.

(Oh, and one last thing, if you are a man, Seroxat does have some serious side effects in that you can basically kiss your libido goodbye for the amount of time you are taking it. Very weird and unpleasant as well! :huh:)

paul75
28-01-11, 19:01
I've been on Seroxat twice over a decade ago, when I came down with anxiety and panic attacks. Even though the anxiety and panic was very unpleasant, with hindsight I wish I had never taken the Seroxat. It just made me feel numb and not quite myself, and I believe it only acted to cement the anxiety, as it neither tackled the fear of the fear, neither did it make it go away - but it established it firmly.

I wish there had been some CBT available at the time for me instead that would have informed me properly as to the causes and effects of the anxiety and panic, as well as showing me ways and techniques to actively deal with it. In my case, I'm quite convinced that the Seroxat made my condition worse and prolonged the suffering for years and years. Until I finally discovered CBT on my own accord.

(Oh, and one last thing, if you are a man, Seroxat does have some serious side effects in that you can basically kiss your libido goodbye for the amount of time you are taking it. Very weird and unpleasant as well! :huh:)

Medication affects people differently, I had a good experience with Seroxat. There will be side effects with ANY medication. Most will wear off over time, no drug is perfect but I do agree that therapy such as CBT should always be offered along with any drug therapy.

Vixxy
28-01-11, 19:31
Im currently taking seroxat and I love it. It has a few side effect niggles like night sweats, but I had those on citalopram too. Its helped me out a great deal!

foxyroxy
28-01-11, 21:23
Im currently taking seroxat and I love it. It has a few side effect niggles like night sweats, but I had those on citalopram too. Its helped me out a great deal!

So pleased to be hearing a few good things about Seroxat, I was really worried about taking this med after reading a few horror stories, to be honest it scared me but have read quite a few positive aswell now, was feeling quite anxious about taking it and have just put them upstairs in my drawer for now until i read up on it a bit more, but i guess there not going to do me any good sat in there are they lol

foxyroxy
28-01-11, 21:30
Medication affects people differently, I had a good experience with Seroxat. There will be side effects with ANY medication. Most will wear off over time, no drug is perfect but I do agree that therapy such as CBT should always be offered along with any drug therapy.

I have searched the internet loads for info on CBT and never did find one that really helped in any way, the doctor did mention that if i found that the meds wernt working then therapy would maybe be a option, really hope they dont make me worse, not sure how much more of this i can take

foxyroxy
28-01-11, 21:32

I have searched the internet loads for info on CBT and never did find one that really helped in any way, the doctor did mention that if i found that the meds wernt working then therapy would maybe be a option, really hope they dont make me worse, not sure how much more of this i can take

smb25
28-01-11, 22:20
Hi Foxyroxy

You are not going to know until you try, give them a go and they may just make you feel better! if not, go back to your docs to try something else. Meds suit some and not others. I am now onto to my 4th AD, early days on this latest but appears to be ok so far!

x

foxyroxy
28-01-11, 23:49
Hi Foxyroxy

You are not going to know until you try, give them a go and they may just make you feel better! if not, go back to your docs to try something else. Meds suit some and not others. I am now onto to my 4th AD, early days on this latest but appears to be ok so far!

x

I know but was anxious and scared about taking them after reading all the horror stories but have read a lot of good ones too, feeling a little more positive about them now, just don't want to gain any weight (i read that its a side effect) as im overweight already and its an issue for me now but guess ill cross that bridge if or when it happens, thanks for your reply x

Vixxy
29-01-11, 10:46
Hi again. Im actually taking seroxat and mirtazapine, both can make you gain weight. In fact mirtazapine is an appetite enhancer which is given to people with eating disorders to make them eat.
At most I have gained about 6lbs from these meds, however I dont think it was due to the meds more my lifestyle at the time.
My advice would be to just keep an eye on what you eat until you're sure your weight is stable.

foxyroxy
29-01-11, 14:02
Hi again. Im actually taking seroxat and mirtazapine, both can make you gain weight. In fact mirtazapine is an appetite enhancer which is given to people with eating disorders to make them eat.
At most I have gained about 6lbs from these meds, however I dont think it was due to the meds more my lifestyle at the time.
My advice would be to just keep an eye on what you eat until you're sure your weight is stable.

Hi Vixxy, I can cope with gaining a few pounds but not stones, i read somewhere that someone put on 2 stone!!! that scared me, but like you say, i think some of it is down to the lifestyle you lead and what you eat, guess ill have to just keep an eye on it as i go along, i havnt started them yet, feeling ok today but i think half of that is due to seeing my GP yesterday, having a good cry and telling her what was wrong as ive not spoken to anyone about my Anxiety problem as i felt rather silly but i know that Anxiety is quite a common problem when you speak to people.

European
29-01-11, 15:21
"I have searched the internet loads for info on CBT and never did find one that really helped in any way, the doctor did mention that if i found that the meds wernt working then therapy would maybe be a option" >foxyroxy

I have to admit, I am finding it amazing that your GP is putting you immediately on medication without even as much as informing you about any possible therapy that might be on offer, never mind discuss about putting you on a waiting list sooner rather than later, so you will actually have a chance to benefit from it. Sadly, this kind of 'treatment' is ever so widespread, and if this was my doctor, I'd confront them about their one-sidedness and glibness. And if there weren't any sufficient answers, I'd change surgery and find myself a better GP in the first place.

"You are not going to know until you try, give them a go and they may just make you feel better! if not, go back to your docs to try something else.">Vixxy

You are talking about pills as if they were Smarties: Oh well, if the yellow ones don't work, try the red ones, and if they won't work, give the blue ones a go....

Antidepressants are powerful drugs that will not just have an effect on your brain chemistry, but on all the physical and psychological consequences (and potential side-effects) that go with it. Taking these drugs is not a trifle!

Incidentally, I can't help a feeling that it's generally those who are drugged up to the eyeballs, who are generally advertising medication, whilst at the same time moan and groan in every imaginable detail on other threads about how bad they are feeling and that they don't see a way out. Which does strike me as a bit of a contradiction.

I'm not categorically against medication, but I'm all for informed choices. And reducing strong and powerful drugs to harmless Smarties isn't going to help in terms of reaching an informed choice at all!

KK77
29-01-11, 19:54
[QUOTE=European;788501]
Incidentally, I can't help a feeling that it's generally those who are drugged up to the eyeballs, who are generally advertising medication, whilst at the same time moan and groan in every imaginable detail on other threads about how bad they are feeling and that they don't see a way out. Which does strike me as a bit of a contradiction.

You're making derogatory and inflammatory remarks. Who is "drugged up to their eyeballs"? People that advertise products/services on here - ie spammers - are dealt with by being banned.

The OP asked for experiences re paroxetine. People that have taken or taking paroxetine have replied. There are different opinions re this and if you define an individual's positive experience with paroxetine as "advertising" medication, then you are advertising CBT.

Why do you insist on seeing it only from YOUR perspective?

I'm not categorically against medication, but I'm all for informed choices. And reducing strong and powerful drugs to harmless Smarties isn't going to help in terms of reaching an informed choice at all!I'm sure many people know that these drugs aren't "Smarties" Euro. Who said that they are on here?

European
29-01-11, 20:08
"if you define an individual's positive experience with paroxetine as "advertising" medication, then you are advertising CBT." >Melancholia77

There is a difference between a positive experience, and being glib and playing medication (and its possible consequences) down.

Apart from that, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has been made physically and mentally dependent on CBT, and whose life has been made a misery on account of it. The same cannot be said about medication.

"Why do you insist on seeing it only from YOUR perspective?" >Melancholia77

Because it's precisely what you're doing as well. It's called having a discussion. :winks:

KK77
29-01-11, 20:24
[QUOTE=European;788608]"if you define an individual's positive experience with paroxetine as "advertising" medication, then you are advertising CBT." >Melancholia77

There is a difference between a positive experience, and being glib and playing medication (and its possible consequences) down. What do you mean "playing it down"? If they've had a positive experience with medication then the possible "consequences" you mention may not play a part. Medication doesn't turn everyone into blubbering, incoherent wrecks you know - as you seem to ascribe to it. You have a very low opinion of people that take meds - and this is my problem when I read your posts - your blatant contempt and hostility.

[QUOTE]Apart from that, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has been made physically and mentally dependent on CBT, and whose life has been made a misery on account of it. The same cannot be said about medication.Don't agree. There have been people driven to despair and in some cases probably suicide because talking therapies haven't worked for them.

I try to take an objective view of both meds and talking therapies.

You say that you're not anti meds yet you contradict yourself at every turn.

"Why do you insist on seeing it only from YOUR perspective?" >Melancholia77

Because it's precisely what you're doing as well. It's called having a discussion. :winks:Then be more objective and less hostile and we may have a deal ;)

Vixxy
29-01-11, 20:30
European I find your post pretty bloody offensive. I think we all know your opinion and I don't think insulting people who do take medication is the way to make friends and influence people.
I am on medication and I am NOT writing threads saying "how bad I am feeling and seeing no way out". You can check on my info page. Go on look. Go and see the last thread that I made where I as Q.Qing about being ill with my anxiety.Since I started on Seroxat I have been getting better and better, Im not telling people they need to be on drugs, the OP asked an opinion about what other peoples experiences were with seroxat and I gave my opinions.
If you want a little factoid then consider this. In Jan 2010 I had a relapse, was agoraphobic and over the course of 2 months dropped down to the BMI of an anorexic. My weight continued to plummet until I was put onto seroxat, which was a turning point. Fast forward to Jan 2011, I am now back up to my normal weight, I've moved to another city and my life is getting back on track.

bottleblond
29-01-11, 22:34
Ok this one i shall comment on......

The hard fact of life is, some people DO actually benefit from taking medication. If it improves their quality of life and if that works for them/me then who has the god given right to dishearten them from having some peace? It's hard enough to cope with without people belittling the fact that medication does help.

If you were sat a 3am with the most awful toothache, you would take some painkillers, wouldn't you?...So why do people have to suffer when medication can help them too.

Lisa

Geoff2301
30-01-11, 08:43
Unfortunately, most people just post their horror stories with medication lol!! I suppose the people with success stories are just so relieved they're feeling better they lose interest in forums etc and want to put it all out of their minds.
I was on Paroxetine for several years and it appeared to be very helpful...... unfortunately, did appear to be ineffective after a couple of years, despite increasing the dose and was switched to an alternative. Good news is that I had no side effects of any significance and despite being on 60mg, managed to get off them afterwards with no significant problems. Worth giving a try I'd say........ sometimes I think it's best not to read up on these medications beforehand as it can be a bit worrying.
Geoff

ladybird64
30-01-11, 12:34
"I have searched the internet loads for info on CBT and never did find one that really helped in any way, the doctor did mention that if i found that the meds wernt working then therapy would maybe be a option" >foxyroxy

I have to admit, I am finding it amazing that your GP is putting you immediately on medication without even as much as informing you about any possible therapy that might be on offer, never mind discuss about putting you on a waiting list sooner rather than later, so you will actually have a chance to benefit from it. Sadly, this kind of 'treatment' is ever so widespread, and if this was my doctor, I'd confront them about their one-sidedness and glibness. And if there weren't any sufficient answers, I'd change surgery and find myself a better GP in the first place.

"You are not going to know until you try, give them a go and they may just make you feel better! if not, go back to your docs to try something else.">Vixxy

You are talking about pills as if they were Smarties: Oh well, if the yellow ones don't work, try the red ones, and if they won't work, give the blue ones a go....

Antidepressants are powerful drugs that will not just have an effect on your brain chemistry, but on all the physical and psychological consequences (and potential side-effects) that go with it. Taking these drugs is not a trifle!

I'm not categorically against medication, but I'm all for informed choices. And reducing strong and powerful drugs to harmless Smarties isn't going to help in terms of reaching an informed choice at all!

I'm all for choice too European and as I have only taken meds for 6months out of over 25 years, I think I can come at the discussion/debate/argument from a fairly neutral standpoint.

I have never had CBT so that makes me even more neutral. :winks:

This is the thing I have the problem with European. I feel that your attitude is hypocritical and that is something I find quite difficult to tolerate. Let me explain why so it is proven that I am not making personal and derogatory comments.

You stated quite clearly that you have taken these medications yourself many years ago. Nobody forced you to do this, you may not have been aware of CBT then but can you say that if it had been offered at your first appointment you would have instantly taken it, even if it meant waiting a few months?

The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing in certain circumstances and I find it can cloud memories..when we look back on a crisis situation from a recovered/in recovery viewpoint it's easy to say what we would have done given the choice.

If you didn't want medication you could have fought harder, demanded to know what else was available or changed your GP, did you do any of these at first? I doubt it somehow and to be honest, I wonder if at that first consultation if CBT had been offered you would have jumped at the chance. Only you know the answer to that.

I share your concern about those who change medications without thought but all that can be done is for awareness to be brought to the forefront. You talk much about personal responsibility and that is exactly what it boils down to..if people choose not to look into other alternatives it is their responsibility and theirs alone. All we can do is to make them aware of alternative that can be utilised and I believe that we do that fairly.
If somebody requests information re a certain med as the OP did then everyone has the right to answer. This is a democracy after all, all opinions are welcome as long as they are given in the spirit of the forum.

I have read and re-read your posts and you seem to be so angry with people and their choices..and yet you can be so supportive at times too..quite a paradox.

Is it barely concealed anger at the time you yourself "wasted" while on meds? It took you years to sort yourself out. It may take people here years to sort themselves out and cope on a daily basis but they will do it in their own time and in their own way, just as you did.

Just for the record, I spent some time going through the CBT posts the other day, I trawled back through the archives to 2009.
Before I replied to any more of your posts I wanted to be absolutely certain how often people were actively discouraged from using CBT and other therapies and were encouraged to use meds instead.

I read every post from January 2009..every single last one. The amount of encouragement and support given to those thinking about CBT, using it, or struggling with it shines through in 2 years of posts.

I would encourage anyone who thinks that NMP does not advocate using CBT to go and look at that specific forum..go back a few weeks, months..read the posts.

The truth about the matter is there for all to see.

So to get back to the original poster..I hope the information you received in the first few replies was helpful and that you feel able to make an informed choice for yourself.

Good luck :flowers:

European
30-01-11, 16:24
"I try to take an objective view of both meds and talking therapies." >Melancholia77

There is no such thing as "objectivity", and if you think you could be objective, you are seriously deluded! Our senses are trapped in our body, our brain under our skull, which means we will always be bound to our own subjective viewpoint, which is pinpointed right to where we stand at any moment in time. Omnipresence is humanly impossible, not even within the realms of intellect or imagination.

Or maybe I should quote the axiom of Neurolinguistic Programming: "The Map is not the Territory".

"The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing in certain circumstances and I find it can cloud memories..when we look back on a crisis situation from a recovered/in recovery viewpoint it's easy to say what we would have done given the choice." >ladybird64

I appreciate what you're saying, and you do have a point, of course. I did indeed change my GP early on, and asked the new doctor to put me on a waiting list for therapy, which she did. The therapy I eventually received after about 9 months was not CBT, but ordinary counselling, and I suppose it was beneficial in that it had the effect of opening my mind. For which I am grateful!

As regards me being angry - I'm not angry at individual people at all. I mean, how could I? I don't know anybody in person on here, and so I'm not presumptuous enough to judge people on an individual basis.
What DOES make me angry, however, is a general tenor, a general attitude, or maybe one could call it 'culture', not just on here, but out there in the whole wide world. I'm sure most of us have been through this in some shape or form, and it generally starts with an overworked GP who hasn't probably even the time to listen - nor inform! - properly, but immediately comes up with a prescription. Which, at least in my view, is somewhat negligent. And yes, it angers me, as I believe anxiety sufferers deserve better!

What angers me as well is the general submissiveness of people to this, who just start popping the pills without asking, as they've probably just come down with anxiety and panic, don't know what hit them and think they are going mad. And yes, I know about it because I was one of them.
And then you find an open forum on the internet, and realise that the same defeatism and general submissiveness prevails. I would guess that the majority of people on this forum are on some kind of drugs, some people even on very high doses. And I think it would be nothing more than denial to claim that these drugs are not having any effect and are not clouding people's minds, often quite blatantly so in view of cognitive distortions and maladaptive attitudes and thinking. If you look closely at the number of posts every day, you will have to realise that most of them are by people like this, and rather than using the opportunity of this forum to at least think about possible solutions, they go on and on endlessly about their symptoms in every conceivable detail, which generally goes in conjunction with some endless detail regarding their medication. And that's it. And every day more of the same, an endless lament of how awful everything is.

I ask you this: Is it really surprising that those people are abjectly miserable? Is it really surprising that some of them go up the walls and feel totally dejected after probably years of symptom and medication dwelling? And wouldn't it be beneficial to at least *think* about a more solution oriented approach for a change?
Another thing: Is it actually 'kind' to go along with this culture of defeatism in the name of 'kindness', which only encourages and enables people in their own self-defeating behaviour, i.e. their suffering, which means the only effect the kindness is having is that most people dig themselves in even deeper? I know it's all meant well, but that doesn't mean this so called 'kindness' is actually doing well. In the majority of cases, it isn't.

Coming back to "objectivity", the nearest we can get to this is by having different - and maybe even conflicting! - view points on a board like this. And this is an opportunity!
So why not use it, as opposed to insist that we all have to categorically 'nice' and 'kind' and basically agree. We don't, and, at least as far as I'm concerned, the more diverse and differentiated, i.e. NOT merely black & white, this forum becomes, the better it becomes in view of allowing for some informed choices as well. What the individual does with this, is obviously up to every single one of us in the end.

KK77
30-01-11, 18:15
[QUOTE]"I try to take an objective view of both meds and talking therapies." >Melancholia77

There is no such thing as "objectivity", and if you think you could be objective, you are seriously deluded! Our senses are trapped in our body, our brain under our skull, which means we will always be bound to our own subjective viewpoint, which is pinpointed right to where we stand at any moment in time. Omnipresence is humanly impossible, not even within the realms of intellect or imagination.

I don't need a lecture from you thanks. I word my sentences very carefully. I did not mean objective in the ideal sense and you know that. I said: "I try to take an objective view...". This doesn't mean I'm totally objective. You must stop moralising, intellectualising and idealising people's comments.

I am perfectly capable of seeing both sides of an argument (as objectively as I can). Subjectively I may choose to believe one or the other, depending on my own experiences. Where does "omnipresence" come into this? Again, you are idealising a statement to suit your own ends.

I might take meds but I'm a lot sharper than you ;)

Coming back to "objectivity", the nearest we can get to this is by having different - and maybe even conflicting! - view points on a board like this. And this is an opportunity!
So why not use it, as opposed to insist that we all have to categorically 'nice' and 'kind' and basically agree. We don't, and, at least as far as I'm concerned, the more diverse and differentiated, i.e. NOT merely black & white, this forum becomes, the better it becomes in view of allowing for some informed choices as well. What the individual does with this, is obviously up to every single one of us in the end.

So here you go on to talk about "objectivity" in the intended sense: you knew exactly what I was getting at dear Euro so save your lectures and psychological games for your students.

You want conflict and you get it, so you carry on :winks:

Vixxy
30-01-11, 18:34
This thread needs to be split. The OP doesnt deserve yet another pointless debate about medication vs therapy. Whichever stand point you belong to, both are beneficial and that is THE END of the discussion.

European
30-01-11, 18:47
"I might take meds but I'm a lot sharper than you" >Melancholia77

Ah, so you view this as a competition. Interesting!

And this explains a lot in terms of your reaction. You've thrown so many dummies out of the pram regarding my posts, it's amazing you're having any left.... I for one would be considerably more impressed by the strength of your arguments (if you could muster to come up with any, that is)!

"You want conflict and you get it, so you carry on" >Melancholia77

Unlike you, I don't restrict conflict to a personal vendetta. I've made some valid points on this thread, not a single one of which you have responded to, but you decided to resort to your rather hysterical character assassinations instead, as usual. It's wearing a bit thin, and consequently, I will not engage with you in any shape or form from here onward. I'm not interested in a personal and escalating mud-slinging match, and I should think that most of us on here have more important problems to deal with. That's all.

KK77
30-01-11, 19:51
"I might take meds but I'm a lot sharper than you" >Melancholia77

Ah, so you view this as a competition. Interesting!

And this explains a lot in terms of your reaction. You've thrown so many dummies out of the pram regarding my posts, it's amazing you're having any left.... I for one would be considerably more impressed by the strength of your arguments (if you could muster to come up with any, that is)!

And you should know all about "dummies".

"You want conflict and you get it, so you carry on" >Melancholia77

Unlike you, I don't restrict conflict to a personal vendetta. I've made some valid points on this thread, not a single one of which you have responded to, but you decided to resort to your rather hysterical character assassinations instead, as usual. It's wearing a bit thin, and consequently, I will not engage with you in any shape or form from here onward. I'm not interested in a personal and escalating mud-slinging match, and I should think that most of us on here have more important problems to deal with. That's all.[/QUOTE]

Personal vendetta? Now you're being childish Euro.

I shall not lose any sleep over you "not engaging" with me. If you can't take the heat then on your merry way :emot-wave:

foxyroxy
30-01-11, 20:23
This thread needs to be split. The OP doesnt deserve yet another pointless debate about medication vs therapy. Whichever stand point you belong to, both are beneficial and that is THE END of the discussion.

I am here and reading everyone posts and trying to take it all in and make sense of it all, my head is all over the place and i cant seem to think straight or really concentrate at the moment but i thank you for your opinions and advice

KK77
30-01-11, 20:38
I am here and reading everyone posts and trying to take it all in and make sense of it all, my head is all over the place and i cant seem to think straight or really concentrate at the moment but i thank you for your opinions and advice

Apologies for my harsh tone Foxy - some people never learn.

Paroxetine is considered much more effective for anxiety than fluoxetine which you said you'd been on before. All drugs have some side effects and if your doc has prescribed it I believe you should give it a go. But do also look into self-help/talking therapies as well.

I was on this med for 7 years.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

haz
30-01-11, 20:48
Hi,

In reply to your post re: Seroxat (ignore the idiot posting about taking medication being a sign of weakness, some people just like the sound of their own voice and clearly have nothing better to do!)

Anyway, back to Seroxat. I can honestly say that this drug probably saved my life! I was on it for 14 years and it helped my anxiety/panic attacks/agraphobia immensely. Unfortunately, it stopped working last year. I was terrified of the withdrawal symptoms after being on it for so long but my psychiatrist cross tapered it with escitalopram and I had no problems at all coming off it. I was on 30mg, then managed on 20mg for a good few years. I did gain some weight but my eating habits consist of ready meals and chocolate and I don't exercise!! Unfortunately the escitalopram did not work nearly as well as the Seroxat for me and I'm now on my third week of taking Sertraline so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

Different drugs work better for some than others, it's a process of elimination really. I can only give you my own experiences. Seroxat was one of the first SSRI's to be licensed for anxiety/panic disorder and it does have a good track record for controlling it.

One other thing, unless you are having severe adverse side effects I would give the Seroxat a good 6-8 weeks to find out if this is the drug for you.

Good Luck!

Hazel. x

foxyroxy
30-01-11, 21:17
Apologies for my harsh tone Foxy - some people never learn.

Paroxetine is considered much more effective for anxiety than fluoxetine which you said you'd been on before. All drugs have some side effects and if your doc has prescribed it I believe you should give it a go. But do also look into self-help/talking therapies as well.

I was on this med for 7 years.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

No worries:)
Yes I was on Fluoxentine about 4/5 years ago for 2 years for depression, my gp did say i could go back on them if i wished but explained that Paroxetine was better for anxiety, Im aware that these meds effect everyone differently but i am a little scared about taking them, gp has given me 10mg but i havnt started them yet as i wanted to be sure that i was doing the right thing, my head is a little dazed and confused at the moment with it all but i really want the anxiety to go, its ruining my life and it would so nice so feel like my normal self again and try to start enjoying my life instead of dreading each day.

I have searched the internet lots for help etc and for info on CBT but didnt really find anything that helped, can you or anyone recommend anything? x

European
30-01-11, 21:46
"I was on it for 14 years" >haz

And you're calling me an "idiot"?? :D

"can you or anyone recommend anything?" >foxyroxy

First of all, I think it would make a lot of sense to talk to your GP and broach the subject of therapy. See whether you can get him to put you on a CBT waiting list, which, depending on where you are in the UK, might take between half a year to a year until you actually get to do it.
In this respect I think it would make a lot of sense to get on the waiting list sooner, rather than later, even if you are a bit unsure about it at this moment in time. If you don't want to do it when your turn comes, you can always cancel it anyway.

Secondly, make yourself knowledgeable about what it actually is that you are suffering from, and how you could possibly deal with this yourself (as opposed to immediately handing your own personal responsibility - and power! - over to medication, which I guarantee you will not make you feel your normal self, but like a quite different self altogether, even if it helps you to cope short term. Medication doesn't cure, but at best it makes your symptoms more manageable. But of course, the choice is yours!). There is truth in the old saying that 'knowledge is power', even more so when it comes to a mood disorder.

There are quite a few good books out there, and you don't necessarily need another person to practice CBT exercises, but there is quite a bit of scope in terms of doing it on your own. Which can be very empowering. In any case, a large part of CBT, should you eventually see a therapist, is based on the homework between the sessions anyway. In short: There is a lot you can do to help yourself.

As for book recommendations, the overwhelming majority of self-help books are based on CBT these days. I would recommend "Feel the fear - and do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers as a good introduction (and a brilliant motto!), and all the books by Dr.David Burns, particularly "When Panic Attacks", which includes a whole range of techniques you could try. With a little input and an open mind it really works.

All the best!

JaneC
31-01-11, 02:53

Totally out of order IMO

Vixxy
31-01-11, 09:54
Hi Foxy. Talk to your GP and ask to be referred for CBT.
Depending on the area your live in, it can take as little as 2 weeks or a few months to be seen. I was lucky and live in an area where they are piloting a scheme to speed up the referral process. I believe it was being rolled out into other counties at the end of 2010, so you might be lucky!
Other than that, you can try CBT for dummies. You can probably get it from amazon or your local library. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-Dummies-Branch/dp/0470665416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296467599&sr=8-1

foxyroxy
31-01-11, 15:39
Hi Foxy. Talk to your GP and ask to be referred for CBT.
Depending on the area your live in, it can take as little as 2 weeks or a few months to be seen. I was lucky and live in an area where they are piloting a scheme to speed up the referral process. I believe it was being rolled out into other counties at the end of 2010, so you might be lucky!
Other than that, you can try CBT for dummies. You can probably get it from amazon or your local library. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-Dummies-Branch/dp/0470665416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296467599&sr=8-1

Hi Vixxy, i was thinking of doing that anyway, do you know if they do this on a one-to-one basis or group?
I am going to look up that book you have mentioned and there are a couple of others that have been recommended to me aswell, thanks for the advice, hoe you are well xx :)

belvederebabe
31-01-11, 18:08
Hi Foxy...it is done on a one to one basis ....

nomorepanic
31-01-11, 18:49
Hi,

In reply to your post re: Seroxat (ignore the idiot posting about taking medication being a sign of weakness, some people just like the sound of their own voice and clearly have nothing better to do!)

Hazel. x

Both of these comments are unjustified and not necessary. Please can we stop the name calling in threads.

Thanks

Vixxy
31-01-11, 19:47
Hi Vixxy, i was thinking of doing that anyway, do you know if they do this on a one-to-one basis or group?
I am going to look up that book you have mentioned and there are a couple of others that have been recommended to me aswell, thanks for the advice, hoe you are well xx :)

Hi :)
I think it depends on the waiting lists. The first 2 times I was referred for CBT I was put into a group that was a mix of anxiety and depression suffers. I found it very useful as they go over the reasons for anxiety and depression and you learn that everyone who suffers with it has more or less the same thoughts as you do! Stops you feeling alone.
This next part was because I was in a trial area, as I mentioned in my last post. I hope its available in your area, because it was brilliant. After being referred by my Gp my first appointment was only 2 weeks later!
This time round I had phone therapy first, which was a 1-2-1 appointment, once a week for 30 minutes. I found it bloody useful because I wouldnt have been able to leave the house to go to a session at the time! I had 6 phone sessions and then I was moved onto a face to face session with a therapist at my local GPs office. (Again this was handy because in previous times, it was always at the local hospital which is a long way from where I live.) IT helped me so much that I ended up not needing the full amount of session allocated to me.

If I were you I would go into your local library and ask them to order in a load of CBT books, if they dont already have them, and see which one you get on with. I would recommend having a look at CBT for dummies, like all of their books its written for people with no experience whatsoever with the subject, so it should be understandable and usable by everyone.

foxyroxy
31-01-11, 21:34
Hi Foxy...it is done on a one to one basis ....

Thats good to know, didnt fancy doing it with others, thanks for the reply x

Vixxy
31-01-11, 21:47
If youre worried about the possibilty of group therapy mention that to your GP, hopefully they can make sure you get a one to one therapist^^