PDA

View Full Version : Panic in pub

chatterbox
29-01-11, 11:29
hi
I got very anxious in pub last night had ordered a meal i started to panic while waiting with my friend at time and my vision goes funny and i need the toilet and trying to catch my breath then heart flutters ect feel im being scritinised and i feel worse couldnt eat much at all! went to the ladies and took diazapan i keep for bad times, i was fine aftr 30mins or so .please someone tell me im not alone, i do have alot of stress in my personal life last few years

European
29-01-11, 15:33
You are not alone!

And even though these situations and feelings are extremely unpleasant, they are not the end of the world either.

Be aware that if you should give in to your panic, and on the basis of your experience in the pub yesterday avoid pubs, and similar situations, from thereon, this will only have the effect of making your anxiety stronger. Every time you'll avoid, your brain will assume that there is something very real to be frightened about, switch on all the red lights in the future and multiply manifold.
But it's just a pub situation, and there is - rationally! - nothing to be afraid of.

Regardless of how horrible you might have felt yesterday, life goes on and there is a lot of enjoyment to be had. Be careful not to fall into the trap of blowing the situation up disproportionately, but just tick it off as one of these things that can happen. It really is as simple as that. :)

chatterbox
30-01-11, 10:31
hi European
Thank you so much,your words have really helped me,and i will try and take it on board Im due to visit my brother on the 8th Feb for the day in Dorset so need to be positive! This is just for the day as cannot manage to stay overnight as im agrophobic in being too far from home/. regards Holly

katiebean
30-01-11, 11:09
You're not alone!!!!!
I struggle to eat out too, but have learnt that it's OK. My boyfriend understands, and if I don't feel comfortable we go and do something else instead. I have a couple of friends who are the same too, so I guess it's relatively common. I try to gradually increase my exposure to situations that make me panic, for example, with eating out, I can't do restraunts, but we can have fish and chips sat on the beach. I might not be able to do the cinema, but I can watch a film at a friends house. Does your brother live a long way from you?

kg78
30-01-11, 20:23
Just wanted to say well done for staying at the pub and working thru it, the worst thing I did when my attacks started years ago was to make my excuses and leave and then avoid those situations again, I'm sure that made me worse... Currently I can eat out with my husband but can't do it with anyone else xx

chatterbox
31-01-11, 11:04
Thank you all. Holly

chatterbox
31-01-11, 11:11
hi Katiebean
Thanks for advise yes my broyher lives 2-3 hour drive away my husband takes me i can do local drives by myself! although both my sister and brother are anxious people as well.He does get angry with me at times because i have been canceling visits when i feel bad iv even written to him to explain its nothing personal i do want to see him. but him and wife go abroad on holidays ect but i never have for 18years so to go to see my family is very hard for me but we are all getting older so panic a bit about making sure we make time for eachother Holly