PDA

View Full Version : Teacher with anxiety/depression - help!

cinnamongirl
31-01-11, 09:44
Hi,
I have been suffering with anxiety and depression over the last 4 years (officially) and am finding it really difficult to cope with my job. I had 5 weeks out last term, but this was also due to a miscarriage and have been off for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Wanted to go back today but school said I needed to see the doctor and be signed as 'fit for work'. I don't want to do this anymore, I'm dreading the doctor later as they are not sympathetic, I don't get paid when I'm off and it just all seems to be spiralling and I feel rubbish. I don't want to lose my home but I really feel that I'm at the end of my tether.:weep:
Has anyone been in a similar situation? I just feel so alone.

harasgenster
31-01-11, 12:35
Hi
I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. A miscarriage is an extremely stressful thing to go through and I am gobsmacked that your doctors could be unsympathetic after such an event. Regardless of your previous anxiety, anyone would be feeling bad right now.

Try not to worry. There is always support. You won't be kicked out onto the streets if you miss one payment, there's all sorts of protection for tenants and homeowners to prevent eviction.

I'm afraid I haven't got a huge amount of advice for you as I haven't been in a similar position but I'm sure others here have a lot to say. I just wanted to sympathise with you over the way the doctors are acting so inconsiderately.

iamspartacus
31-01-11, 12:43
It is natural to feel 'shellshocked' after something as traumatic as a miscarriage. Anxiety/depression is a living hell and I know just how hard it is to struggle through life feeling so alone and frightened all the time. If it helps, my mother used to teach(retired), and she told me that she saw lots of colleagues take long spells off work due to 'stress'. I would say that stress goes with the territory of teaching.

Groundhog
31-01-11, 17:30
Hi cinnamongirl

I work in a secondary school, I’m not a qualified teacher but i do teach (If that makes sense). I take it if you are not paid then your roll is not strait forward either?

As said above stress is rife in education. I work in what is considered to be one of the top schools in our county but we have, at any one time, a member of staff off with stress issues. Often it’s down to individual classes or individual students so re-arranging the timetable can help. Sometimes it’s the subject that does not suit. We recently had a science teacher off with stress for months and he came back as a PE teacher and has now settled.

Then of course, and there is no easy way to say it, you may not be cut out for the role you are doing now and need a different direction in the same environment.

cinnamongirl
31-01-11, 18:20
Thanks for the replies.
I went to the doc this afternoon to ask for a note to say I was fit for work (work had requested this) and to ask for support and he really couldn't be bothered with me and told me I needed to sort myself out or I would get the sack and just kept repeating that I would lose my job! I was distraught, walking home in floods of tears, it took alot for me to walk over there and then to be treated like that, he is never very supportive so I don't know why I'm suprised but it made me feel like there is no point in anything, if I can't get help/support when I have the courage to ask for it, what is the point?

European
31-01-11, 18:43
That sounds awful, and my heart goes out to you, cinnamongirl!

Is there no other doctor you could see in the matter?
Someone who might actually be helpful, and if only in terms of thinking about options for you as to how to move on from your current situation?

jillyb
31-01-11, 18:56
My daughter is a teacher so I know how tiring and stressful it can be. At her last school she was very happy until there was a change of head and he was/is an absolute bully. A colleague reported him to the union. Fortunately she has now changed schools and is very happy again - but still stressed - ofsted due in soon! Anyway, back to you. Your doctor sounds the pits and I think you should ask to see another doctor asap. One who understands anxiety and depression for a start. Also, in our area, we can self refer ourselves for cbt. Have a look and see if it is possible in your area. You could also try your union as they may be able to help you. Is your Head approachable? Perhaps you could talk to him/her and see if you can ease your way back into the classroom. Whatever you do, keep talking and seeking help now before it escalates. Take care x

cinnamongirl
31-01-11, 21:34
Thanks again for your responses. I talked it through with my parents and hubby and have decided to change surgery. I've not really had any support from this lot apart from constantly increasing meds each time I ask for help. I also think that I will hand my notice in, perhaps a break and some supply teaching will help me until I feel strong again.

seashell
31-01-11, 21:46
Hi cinammongirl

I am a teacher (primary) and have been diagnosed with severe depression and have since discovered I have a lot of the symptoms of anxiety too. I've been on mediccation for nearly 4 weeks now and still feel no different. I can sympathise with the work situation and it is a horrible amount of stress and negativity to contend with on a daily basis, sometimes it takes all my energy just to get through a day's lessons. The hard thing about teaching while I'm having this problem is the fact that there's nowhere to hide and you need to appear happy and cheery for the children....I want to take a break but am too scared about the financial implications etc....not sure how helpful this is but just wanted to let you know I understand some of what you must be going through xxx

blueangel
01-02-11, 09:01
I'm not a teacher - I work for the NHS which is another high-stress environment. Definitely try getting in touch with your union and also have a look to see if you local education authority provides any sort of stress counselling or support service, as quite a few of them do these days as it's acknowledged that teaching is a very tough job.

Do consider changing your GP - it's actually a very easy process as you basically just have to register with another surgery. Ask people you know to recommend a GP (you don't have to tell them why you want to move) as word of mouth is often a good way to find out. You don't even have to tell your current GP that you're going to move on, so you're not going to have to confront him about it.

Baggie
01-02-11, 10:45
Hi cinnamongirl

I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this just now. It must be incredibly hard for you. I have several family members who are primary and secondary teachers and I understand how utterly demanding this type of work can be. You must be a very special person to have entered the profession. It takes a lot of guts and hard work, so you should be really proud of yourself!

Having never been in your situation, I can't offer any advice really, but I just wanted to say that changing GP is definitely the correct thing to do. Your doctor sounds like a waste of space. He has no compassion. Why the heck do people like that enter the medical profession?? - it's beyond me!!.

Also, you sound like you need support in dealing with your miscarriage which is a very distressing experience (I once saw a close friend go through this and it was heartbreaking for her). Perhaps there are support organisations online or locally which you could contact? Once you register at your new surgery, you could ask to speak to one of the health visitors there. They are trained in women's health issues and may be able to give you more information and support.

Really wish you all the very best. Take care and hope that you will be feeling much stronger soon. xx

cinnamongirl
01-02-11, 17:12
Well I made quite a scary/brave (however you want to look at it) decision last night after talking to my parents and hubby I finally decided to take a break from teaching full time and handed my notice in this morning.
I am lucky in that my school is supportive and the kids and staff are great, but from my point of view it will be better for the children, staff and hopefully for me in the long term to walk away and get myself better.
I don't know what I will do long term but hope that some day to day teaching supply will keep the mortgage and bills paid.
Seashell thank you for your post, I hope you find a way through how you are feeling I know howtough it is, like some of the other posts mentioned perhaps you could talk to someone, I feel that I bottled things up and if I had spoken to someone earlier on things may have been different.
xxx to all

Meewah
01-02-11, 19:24
I have only one thing to say - Change doctor. Doctor work for you they should be supportive and compassionate, Sadly the industry is full of people doing it for the money.

Mee