PDA

View Full Version : gallstones ??

kayleigh
31-01-11, 23:59
Just wondering if someone could tell me the symptoms of gallstones ??

It feels like I have something blowing up under my left ribs I've had this for a couple of months now but the past week I keep getting sharp stabbing pains below my left breast and the top off my ribs also in my back quite high up and in the back of my left shoulder..

Does anyone know if these are symtoms of gallstones ?? I'm due to have an endoscopy on valentines day :0( to check for a stomach ulcer cause I was suffering really bad with heartburn and a nasty taste in my mouth which I am now taking omeprazole 20mg twice a day..

But I know this is nothing to do with this.........

Anxious_gal
01-02-11, 03:33
I think you should mention it to your doctor.
is the tummy pain on the right side??
I did read that the pain may travel to your Right shoulder.

kayleigh
01-02-11, 04:22
No the pain is on my left side like a really bad stabbing pain it keeps coming and going its so sore :0( xx

Anxious_gal
01-02-11, 04:58
well so far from what I've read the pain should be on the right.
Most gallstones don't need treatment unless your in pain.

how long does the pain last for when you get it?
Sorry to hear your in pain :hugs:

countrygirl
01-02-11, 10:15
I've got gallstones had them for over 20 years but they don't give me any trouble as long as I don't eat pastry and melted cheese!

Your gallbladder is under your right rib so pain ( I had one attack years ago) was under right rib ( good test for this is to take breath in and then push your fingers GENTLY under your right rib and breathe out - if its painful it could be gallbladder) plus the pain can radiate up to right shoulder blade. I also had an incredibly tight feeling under right rib.

A very bad attack of gallbaldder pain if you bile duct is blocked can make the whole area under your ribs painful and tight but especially right sided.

Your large bowel runs under your left rib and this is where it bends sharply so its quite common for bowel pain to be felt here from trapped wind or bowel spasm. Your spleen is also here but would be very unlikely to cause severe pain.

Your Dr can tell with an examination where the pain is likely to be coming from.

bluesparkle
01-02-11, 10:34
hi
i also have had gallstones, in fact i had my gall bladder removed a few years ago as the pain got constant and i was always tired.
there are many foods that can afect it but as country girl says especially pastry and cheese, in fact most dairy products.
its worth getting it checked out by the doctor if you think it is something different from what you are having the endoscopy for.
it is definately on the right hand side though , although when it is bad it seems to hurt everywhere ! it also effected my back but was lower back pain.
let us know how you get on.
rach

Horse
01-02-11, 10:56
I had my gallbladder removed 18 months ago.

The symptoms are normally discomfort in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen, that is to say in the area of lower right rib to centre of stomach. However, pain can also radiate to other regions as well.

Normally a scan is requested in order to detect gallstones but on some occasions they are hard to detect if they are very small. If this is the case then they can normally be seen if the patient lies on their side and then moves onto their back whilst the scanner is held in place. The crystals can then normally be detected by their movement.

One thing to bare in mind is that some gallstones may be evident but the pain is not necessary caused by this. In my case, I still experience pain in the same area even though my gallbladder was removed. I was informed that my gallbladder was inflammed and therefore the inflammation was probably the reason for the discomfort.

Therefore, the main reason for your pain could be inflammation resulting from over acidity in your stomach. Just something to think about.

Horse.

kayleigh
01-02-11, 17:45
Hi everyone thanks for your replys, it can't be gallstones then cause my pain is on the left ??

I'm really worried now as to what it can be its like a sharp stabbing pain under my left ribs but round towards my back and up into my the back of my left shoulder and today its in the part between my ribs and hip...

What could it be ??

Hazel B
01-02-11, 21:35
Definitely not gallstones, the pain is all on the right hand side, I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago. I also used to get a pain like indigestion between 12-3am, that was high up by my chest bone.

See your GP who can help get a diagnosis.

Anxious_gal
09-02-11, 03:57
I'm not sure if you posted an update, but was wondering if your ok x :hugs:

sandy40
09-02-11, 07:57
Im having terrible pain under my right rib which goes through to my back then travels up to my shoulder and also sometimes my neck..i had my gallbladder scanned in Dec and no stones were found.The lady doing ther scan says ultrasound cannot pick up inflammation,so maybe mines in inflammed,its alot worse after eating..i had a upper scope dont last sept and it showed inflammation of the stomach lining but it settled down..could my stomach be flaring up again?