PDA

View Full Version : What would an xray and blood test show?

uk23
01-02-11, 06:04
I have recently had terrible stomach pains which I have never experienced with IBS so I called up NHS Direct and they advised to go to A&E.

When I got there they poked around and did a blood test for most things I think (she mentioned inflammation, infection type things, liver, pancreas etc) and an X Ray.

They said it was all clear, nothing out of the ordinary at all, so what would this actually show and should I take their word for it? Would this show most abdominal, if not all, issues like a bit of a block, swelling etc?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Anxiety Jim
01-02-11, 06:31
I don't think an X-ray would show a swelling, because the radiation passes straight from normal tissue, but the poking around they did was probably to check for swellings or fluid etc, and if there was a blockage it might leave some markers in the blood so might show up there.

I don't have any medical training so the above is just my speculation.

Jim

uk23
01-02-11, 07:30
Thanks for the reply Jim, she said the X Ray shows the stool and gas in the intestinal system and it showed only a little bit of stool and some gas but not much at all, confused!

macc noodle
01-02-11, 07:35
If she did not refer you onwards and upwards to a consultant or for further investigations, I would not worry.

I have IBS and, of late, it has become more painful - so maybe it is just a flare up for you?

Hope you are now feeling better

:)

countrygirl
01-02-11, 10:11
The blood tests would rule out loads of things especially appendicitis and if your liver pancreas etc was causing problems. The x ray can show if you have a complete blockage of the bowel or should I say would give them enough info in that direction for further investigations.

If all the bloods and x ray were okay then its unlikely to be anythying sinister