PDA

View Full Version : Really upset, do I have an ulcer?:(((

Lissy43
01-02-11, 15:07
I started on Lymecycline antibiotics for acne last Thursday. I was fine then on Sunday night I woke with stomach pain and heartburn. It's got worse today and it's a horrible acidy pain in my stomach, with a bit od popping acidy feelings in my ribs and sometimes low in my bowels but the pain is worse in my stomach.

I suffer from IBS during my period and I am on my period at the moment but this is more gastric pain.

I rung my Gp today and he made me feel worse. He said I often get like this and maybe I've a stomach ulcer. I was upset and said I e nor had these pains before, the last time I had any gastric pain was 2 months ago. He said it could be hormonal or it could be the antibiotics so it was up to me whether I stopped them.

I am now more worried about him saying it's an ulcer. The pain is a lot worse today, it got worse 2 hours after taking the tablet:(( and it's not eased. I'm panicking it's an ulcer now but wouldn't I have had issues daily, not just a couple of days in early December and then 2 months later more pain??

I had Helicobacter last winter but had treatment and I was fine. I suffer from IBS but take meds for that. Although I do have a few IBS niggles this is all in my stomach, a horrible ache that pops, and hurts almost like hunger pain???

Can anyone help, I feel so upset and wish I never rang him.

Mogwog
01-02-11, 16:05
Hi

Antibiotics do EXACTLY the same thing to me - I usually have to weigh up the pros and cons of taking them. The only thing that takes the edge sligthly off the pain (not much though)is eating a probiotic yoghurt just before I take it.

I can sympathise as the pain is awful.

Hope this reassures you bit - I don't think its an ulcer.

Laura.xxxx

Lissy43
01-02-11, 16:10
I was exactly the same when I was on antibiotics last year for a week. It was the same type of pain. It was exactly this week last year I was in pain on antibiotics.

Thanks x

Greenman50
01-02-11, 17:10
I doubt its an ulcer , but if it was its not the end of the world a change in diet and meds they can heal in a few months .

Lissy43
01-02-11, 17:42
But I know I couldn't go through an endoscopy:((