PDA

View Full Version : should i be scared about counselling?

sarah56
30-03-06, 12:43
hiya guys
Just a simple question not woke up feeling to good today. its the first day im going to see my counsellor. having pa's today because im scared that i have buried my issues and when the come back out, it will mess me up again.
I have a post about openess about i said bout my life, which was a first step. now it come to it im in a right mess.

would be gratfull for your thoughts

sarah xx

s.walters

clickaway
30-03-06, 13:34
There is no reason at all you should be scared of counselling. The person you see will be well trained and be able to keep your confidence.

To you, your issues may be very personal - things that you could not talk about to your friends or family - things that you consider guilty perhaps.

But a counsellor sees all sorts of people just like you and when you tell them a fact or feeling that scares you because it seems to put you in a bad light, that will be a run-of-the mill experience for them.

When they listen to you, they may think that your case is fairly typical, whereas you will probably think you may be more of a freak.

Opening up is good for you, but I think its important that you go at your own speed and don't go 'all-out' on the first session. The chances are that if this the first session of a series, you will just be giving an overview of the situation to the counsellor.

Wishing you well,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

andrew
30-03-06, 14:08
hi sarah,

good luck with the counselling today.

usually on the first counselling session you have a general chit chat about whats wrong, what your hoping to achieve and just seeing if you can, i suppose - work with each other would be the best description.

you might be feeling a little anxious talking to a stranger, but they are trained to help you out, so try not to worry too much.

take care .. andrew

Alexandra
30-03-06, 14:35
Hi Sarah

As Click says you should'nt be scared of the counselling at all.

Its there to help you & it will.

All the best for this afternoons first session.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Karen
30-03-06, 18:56
Hi Sarah

I hope the counselling session went well today.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

sarah56
30-03-06, 20:21
hiya guys, just to tell you no my counselling session didnt go to well. my counsellor lovely but saying things that happened in my life all over again has hit a nerve a cant stop crying.
maybe thats a good sign cause i havent had feelings about it for so long.
Or maybe it is what i was saying earlier that my issues are better off left buried.
counsellor thinks im going to be seeing for a while that aslo scares me. i just dont want to feel like this everytime i go.

Thanks for you replys
sarah xx

s.walters