PDA

View Full Version : Im really scared now, please read my post!

Tinker28
02-02-11, 03:24
Hi everyone,

Ok, so my day was this...

I took my son to the hospital for a problem, while talking to the Doctor he says to me are you taking something for your thyroid, I just looked at him like, what?? The Doctor then says to me you should get it checked out by your Doctor. He says this by looking at me, just looking at me, then asks me to swallow to see it again I guess, he says I tend to get off topic sometimes, K you don't tell someone who has Health Anxiety that!! Now i am very much freaken out. I am now worried about my son, and myself at the sametime.

Anyone here can help me on this matter? Know things? My thoart isn't overyly large or anything. So I googled!! But Im not really going to believe google, right now it what the Dr told me today that is the scary thing here, like this is wrose then DR Google here.

anyone give me something to ease me or make me feel a bit better!

-Tinker

uk23
02-02-11, 04:49
I think even the most skilled doctor would need tests to confirm before he made a diagnosis. If you wanted you could see you GP about it.

macc noodle
02-02-11, 07:49
Actually most doctors can recognise the potential for certain types of thyroid problems simply by a visual reference. Not going to detail it for all us HA sufferers as it only makes us run to the mirror!

However, don't worry - get yourself to your doc and get a simple test. Most thyroid problems can be controlled by meds.

Hope your son is better soon.

x

countrygirl
02-02-11, 08:57
Yep agree with previous poster having worked as a thryoid disorder advisor - again like previous poster will not go into details but there are certain neck movements which will show up an enlarged thryoid to someone who knows what to look for. Just go to your Dr explain what happened and he will do a simple blood test that can tell if your thryoid is under or over active. Treatment for both conditions is straightforward and you may also be sent for a thyroid ultrasound which again is pretty routine if you have enlarged thryoid and nothing to worry about.

uk23
02-02-11, 12:13
I stand corrected, good to know, thanks macc and countrygirl :)

Vixxy
02-02-11, 12:49
I've had hypothyrodism since I was 14. It was actually a very late diagnosis, so I was showing all the physical symptoms. I have to say though, its nothing to worry about. Once you get your bloods checked and they set you on the medication you're done. After that its just blood tests every 6-12 months to check your meds are at the correct dose and then off you go again.

Tinker28
02-02-11, 15:23
K, sounds pretty simple I guess, so u go on meds your whole life?

NervousNellie
02-02-11, 18:23
When I was younger, I always had this HUGE lump on the underneath side of my chin. Every single doctor always said "You have a thyroid problem. We need to do bloodwork to confirm." Well guess what.....for 20 years, the bloodwork came back with a perfect functioning thyroid!! So no, a doctor can't tell from looking at you whether or not your thyroid is wacky!

But if your levels are a little off, you just pop a pill every day and that's all! It's not a big deal - there are no procedures or complicated things with thyroid. My father has an underactive thyroid and it's just one pill a day!