PDA

View Full Version : any advice guys

SW
03-02-11, 01:28
went back to my docs today he took me off the propranolol and hes givern me mirtazapine 15mg...not sure what time i should take this as i take citalopram 20mg at midnight as i have done for along time..anyone else on this combo?????:shrug:

metroas
03-02-11, 07:43
I did this combination for a few months. Both citalopram and mirtazapine work well for me on their own, but taking them together actually made me worse. However there are studies that suggest that the combination is very effective.

As for the time, DEFINATELY at night for your first time. My first 15mg i remember was an incredibly pleasant experience, I had some mild hallucinations as well as an intense feeling of relaxation and absence of any anxiety, and went straight to sleep within 20 minutes of taking it, before waking up and finding I slept for something like 14 hours! Shame the feeling never lasted :( It still makes me sleepy as hell though.

SW
03-02-11, 10:23
yeah my doctor told me the same thing that people have benefited takeing them both togeather....i just phoned the pharmacy and she said its ok to take them both togeather at the same time.

citalopram has worked well for me on its own for 6 years untill recently family health stuff came about threw me off track...anxiety came back so he put me on this to try cause wasnt sleeping great at night.

thanks for your advice :)

JT69
03-02-11, 18:31
Hi Sam,

Mirtazipine is surposed to be taken at night as it helps sleep. I have been taking it for a year now, was previously taking citalopram but it stopped working for me. Mirtazipine got my life back for me. I am back down to 15mg after going up to 30mg for a few months and intend to come off it soon.....hopefully!!! You can expect to feel drowsy the following day when first taking it but this will ease after a few days, also watch the hunger pangs as it can make you gain weight as I have too!!! I also take pregabalin which has helped enourmously with my anxiety.

Hope it goes well for you.

Jo.xx

SW
03-02-11, 19:48
thanks alot for the advice...i was on propranolol 80mg slow release for 12 days but doctor took me off it just wasnt for me felt more anxious onit knowing what it does with the heart and blood pressure....hope i dont get any withdrawal symptoms from it

SW
04-02-11, 12:30
hi there still feeling anxious wether to take this combo or not spoke to a doc at the hospital last night on phone and he said that they shouldnt be took togeather cause of increased side effects....so as you do you think about it my own doc prescibes these for me and says its ok,so took my citalopram as normal at night had a good sleep without the Mirtazipine so am thinkin maybe do i need this or not ???? dunno what to do for the best its frustrating

SW
04-02-11, 12:37
ive also read about that serotin syndrome...i shouldnt of really but thats making me think stuff aswell take two anti depressents...god what am i like lol :)

ElizabethJane
04-02-11, 18:20
No chance of the serotonin sydrome Sam. The two anti depressants that you are on work in different ways citalopram is an ssri and mirtazapine is an snri. They affect the brain chemicals in different ways and for the mirt at least you are on a relatively low dose. Mirtazapine is often used as an 'add on' ie to augment or boost other medication. It is good to know about these rarer side effects though. You should be fine. EJ.

SW
04-02-11, 22:22
been back to my docs today..ive had reasurance today so am just gonna go with it x

thanks for the reply :)

ElizabethJane
04-02-11, 23:06
glad you had the reassurance you needed. EJ.

SW
05-02-11, 15:22
hi guys little update...am feeling more calmer today,i took my first 15mg mirtazapine last night and boy was i knocked for 6 lol....felt very drowsy in 30 mins then went to bed...still feel a bit spaced today but bit more calmer and feeling peckish,shall see how it goes so far so good...hope all is well bye for now xx

SW
07-02-11, 10:56
hey all lil update on me. Day 3 of mirt been sleeping well and not drowsy or dizzy just feel a bit sick,though there has been bugs in the house and i have a bit of constipation that could be down to bot being very actice lately along with my body feeling achey,also i got pins n needles aswell & heahache is this all normall???

SW
10-02-11, 12:20
hi all update from me took my 6th mirt last night. my anxiety seems to have calmed down a bit,sleepin better,but i feel low and i got aches in pains all over my body feel tired walking even though i been walking back n forth to the school with the kids feel like ive had flu or somethin but without the runny nose...so strange is this normal?????

thanks sam x