PDA

View Full Version : Odd question, does whipped cream taste a little sour?

uk23
03-02-11, 11:45
I don't eat cream very often at all, but I opened up a Cadbury Trifle earlier and the cream on it tasted a little sour - I am not sure if this is normal or not. The use by date is the 10/02/2011 so its in date but as soon as I tasted it my mind started racing :(

So should whipped cream have a slight sour taste to it? The only way to describe it is the taste of full fat milk - that tastes sour to me.

Catalyst
03-02-11, 11:48
If you have a look at the ingredients - does it have a sweetener like aspartame or acesulfame in it? Its just a thought, but I think they can make things taste a bit acidic. I find that with the Muller Light yoghurts. :shrug:

uk23
03-02-11, 11:54
Thanks for the reply, cant see any sweeteners on the ingredients list

uk23
03-02-11, 13:21
still anxious :(

Clairalou
03-02-11, 14:01
I've had those in the past an the cream has tasted odd! I wouldn't worry tho even if it was sour its unlikely to cause any problems xxx

Catalyst
03-02-11, 14:34
I bet there's loads of other synthetic ingredients in it that may cause a sour taste for those with a discerning palate though! Maybe stabilisers or 'E' numbers? It will certainly taste different to something you make with all fresh natural ingredients. I would think that's all it is, especially as it's well within date.

Groundhog
03-02-11, 15:48
Surely its unlikely to be ‘real’ cream with a sell by date like that, don’t they use UHT? If so then that is what you can taste

uk23
03-02-11, 22:50
Hmm, it smelt fine just tasted a little sour. My gf had some and said it tasted fine though, dont understand