PDA

View Full Version : been on for 2 weeks not noticed any difference yet

jaynemarie
03-02-11, 20:15
Hi all. Have come off venlaflaxine and am now on mirtazpine 15mg for 2 weeks. At the moment feel more angry and anxious and piling on the pounds at alarming rate which aint helping. I just wondered if anyone else has had these problems. I have been on and off tablets for the last year and feel like this is the last one i am going to try as i have had enough. Looking for some positive news about this one and also how did people deal with the weight gain. Thank you folks, for reading. We are lucky we have this place to chat xxx

ElizabethJane
04-02-11, 17:37
Hi Jaynemarie I cannot comment on your withdrawal from venlafaxine. Mirtazapine will take at least two to four weeks to 'kick in' longer than most other anti depressants. This does not mean that it is not working for you. 15mg is a starter dose and yoiur doctor may well increase this to 30mg or even 45mg as he thinks fit. I am taking 45mg and this works very well for me. Some people do report angry feelings whilst on the mirt and it is something that you will have to chat to your doctor about. There have been repeorts of excessive weight gain whilst taking mirtazapine. I did initially put on 1st 7lbs but now having lost most of that my weight has stabilised. Initial weight gain should slow down. Try to eat and snack healthily. These aee my opinions based on my experience of taking mirtazapine for 2+years.EJ.

JT69
06-02-11, 13:19
Hi JayneMarie,

I have been taking mirtazipine for a year now, started on 15mg went up to 30mg for some months and then since around August last year have been on 15mg again, with a view to come off when the spring comes.

I can relate to both the angry and the weight gain with the meds. I gained around 1 and half stones but am now committed to get it off and so far have lost around 8ibs so as EJ says it can be controlled. I think for me I just ate what I wanted to as I was finding comfort from the food feeling as I did and decided not to concern myself too much with it, even my Gp said it was far more important to feel well mentally than worry about the weight gain!!! I did suffer from alot of anger though and still do to a certain extent....my poor family had to put up with such a grumpy cow, I really would fly off the handle for little reason to do so!!!

I found I had been taking mirtazipine for around 3-4 weeks before I noticed any difference and I guess the fact that I came off citalopram 40mg-0mg in 1 week didnt help at all...I would never reccommend doing that but I had been off work for around 4 months at that stage and wanted to get the new drug into my system and working so I could go back.

I found the mirt helped me enormously and along with pregabalin (for anxiety) I have found a good combination...I wish you well. Keep posting and we will support you all we can.

Take care.
Jo.xx

smb25
06-02-11, 13:36
Hi Jaynemarie

I was on Mirtazapine 15mg for about 7 months. It really helped me sleep but found it didn't help too much with my anxiety (maybe dosage wasn't high enough?). Anyway I did put on weight, despite going to the gym 3 times a week! I didn't really get any side effects from it :)

I am now on Cipralex and find thats better for me personally (although early days).

x

jaynemarie
06-02-11, 19:47
Thanks for you replies, really appreciate it. I dont really mind weight gain if i can get a calmer life. This weekend has been hell ! I have been really horrible to everyone, i made my 11 year old son cry where he was scared of my up and down emotions. Am at an all time low. This has been my 3rd med in 6 months and i am too embarrassed to go back to my doctor. I love my kids and husband with all my heart, but feel powerless at mo. They deserve better than what i am giving them

ElizabethJane
06-02-11, 20:36
Dear JayneMarie I'm sorry that you are having a tough time at the moment. Meds combined with monthly cycles, hormones all not good sometimes. It is still early days on the mirtazapine and hopefully you are feeling the benefits of its sedative properties. I would certainly give it a little more time but if things do not settle then go back to your GP. I shout at my twelve year old and my husband it does not make me feel good. Hopefully your husband and son will understand? Are you still having withdrawals from the venlafaxine? EJ. Ps are you having any other therapy such as CBT?

ali70
06-02-11, 20:36
Hi

I too have been on 15mcg Mirt for 2 weeks, I have noticed a small change. I am definitely not so stressed and feel more chilled out. I haven't noticed a weight gain, yet. However, after reading all the posts and side effects about this I was very concerned as i can really do without it. So i stocked up on loads of fruit and healthy stuff, so if i do get the munchies hopefully it will be ok. I find i get these on an evening. Also, by coincidence, i have been doing a fitness dvd most days, so hopefully this will also help. As for the med itself, this is really working for me. I am sleeping very well. 7-8 hours which is great. I was up and down like a yo-yo every hour before, sleep walkiing. I am determined not to put weight on either. So my advice would just to stick with it and see how it goes.

ElizabethJane
06-02-11, 20:44
Hi Ali it will take slightly longer for mirtazapine to 'kick in' usually between four and six weeks before you will see any improvement in your mood. I am currently taking 45mg at night and this works for me. EJ.

jaynemarie
07-02-11, 15:30
Thanks all again for advise and help. Elizabeth on the waiting list for CBT, so will give that ago. I feel a bit better today, not so angry. Saying that its probably cause most of kids are at school lol. If i could just stop thinking every pain i have is terminal i would be half way there. Tension in chest and finding it hard to breathe i believe can be brought on by stress. My poor eldest i think i am effecting badly so have to sort myself out and keep on the meds. Thanks everyone i really get comfort from you all and hope at some point i can do the same for you xxx

ali70
07-02-11, 16:03
Thanks for that information EJ. Hopefully after 4 weeks I will start to feel a more definite change. I have to go back to the docs after this course and I'm just wondering if she will up my dosage. I would also be interested to know, perhaps you do, is if the weight gain that so many people experience is because the medication is causing them to eat more, so I will be able to control it, or it's just the makeup of the medication and the effect it has on your body itself. As if I'm going to put weight on with exercise or no-exercise this is something I definitely don't want and will mention to my GP. I have never taken medication before, so perhaps they might be an alternative. Any information or experiences you have would be greatly welcomed. Thank you

ElizabethJane
07-02-11, 18:16
Hi Ali mirtazapine was initially devised as an appetite stimulant for anorexics. I have found that I began to crave sugars and carbs but over time (Ihave been on this med for two years) the effects of the med have lessened. Some people have put on two stone or more. It is whether you can cope with the side effects of this drug or not? I have found mirtazapine to have less side effects than other anti ds that I have been on. There is little or no effect on sexual function something that was noticable for me on seroxat and duloxetine. I could not cope with either of them. EJ.

Sparky64
08-02-11, 19:24
Hi new to the forum, was on prozac for 4 yrs before my doctor had to take me off it due to strange side effect (i could'nt stop passing water). Tried a few different things but, have been taking Mirtazapine for about 3 months. Dosage was prescribed at 15 mgs without any change,tried 30mgs still no change.. I am now taking 40 mgs daily my sleep has improved loads, not getting the nightmares thankfully, however, my bones ache terribly, especially on getting up in morning's. I take co/codamol for arthritis (8 daily)so the aching does wear off.. Am putting weight on rapidly,which i hate and cant stand to look at myself naked. Am trying to eat healthily and am going to stary walking 3 miles a day.. I do hope the weight thing wears off cos as i say i feel loads better...:)

JT69
11-02-11, 12:41
Hi Ali,

I think the weight gain can be controlled by watching what you eat....I know that i wasnt in a very good place and just ate whatever I wanted etc and I am the type of person to gain weight easily anyhow!! But if like you say you are careful and excercise that will help. Weight loss can be achieved on mirtazipine as I have just lost a stone and am over the moon!!! Got quite a bit more to go but at least I know that it can be done whilst on the meds!!!

Mirtazipine for me helped me so much to get my life back on track that I would never turn the clock back even though I did gain around a stone and half and I was over-weight to begin with...mentally I now feel able to do something about it!!

Good luck with it and post away for support!!!

Jo.xx

ElizabethJane
11-02-11, 15:24
Hi Sparky64 I'm curious to know how you are on 40mg mirtazapine as the tablets that I take are 45mg? They also come as 7.5mg , 30mg and 45mg. Are you splitting tablets and is this something recommended by your GP? Maybe you have made a mistake and the tablets you are taking are 45mg? Weight gain is very difficult to avoid whislt taking mirtazapine originally developed as an appetite stimulant. The weight gain will slow down as I have been taking the drug for two years and now am within 7lbs of my goal weight. Try not to binge eat but snack healthily on fruit. Avoid foods high in fat and sugar and eat complex carbohydrates and foods that are lower in fat. Best Wishes. EJ.

englishguy43
11-02-11, 15:32
I hated zispin. Knocked me out then felt spaced out and tired the next day and ate like a horse too, not one that i liked personally but then i have`nt liked any so far.

ElizabethJane
11-02-11, 15:45
Hi Englishguy did you give this med a proper trial? I think that most people have had the same experiences as you. These initial side effects settle down within two to four weeks. The full anti depressant effect might not be felt for four to six weeks. It has fewer side effects than most other anti depressants.EJ.

JT69
12-02-11, 15:25
Hi,

I agree with EJ, have taken citalopram in the past and the side effects were alot worse than those with mirtazipine, having said that it did work well for me for a number of years, and again its the initial taking them, it takes a couple of weeks at least for any AD to get into your system and your are lucky to avoid any effects but its worth it if you persevere.

Jo.xx

SW
13-02-11, 16:35
ive been on cit n mirt combi a week now improvement in mood am on 20mg cit 15mg mirt anxiety still lurking maybe it needs longer i dont know...could be cause am due on in 10 days..can anxiety increase leading upto your period?????

JT69
13-02-11, 16:45
Hi Sam,

Yes anxiety can certainly be felt more in the days leading up to your period as I have suffered with this in the past and noticed a pattern.

1 week is far to early to see any improvement really, I think you need to give it 2-4 weeks realisticaly and then decide.

Will you b staying on the combination of both meds or are you in a transition??

I wish you well with the meds and your recovery!!!

Jo.xx

SW
13-02-11, 21:51
i dont know what you mean by transition lol...but if the combi works then might stay onit if it helps, been taking the citalopram on and off for 6 years but since last year had alot going on found out my mum had leukemia,my nan was also in n out of hopspital ill,my periods stopped for 4 months and been worrying about this strange pulse/heartbeat type noise i have in my right ear....just all got ontop of me and my anxiety came back mentally and physical to the point i was getting panic attacks in bed which i have never had before,been feeling like this since december. just wanna be right again am getting married in august dont wanna feel like this xx sorry for ranting on lol.:unsure:

ElizabethJane
13-02-11, 22:05
'Transition' in this sense of the word means your journey between coming off one drug and starting on another. Doctors sometimes 'cross taper' ie they start you on the new drug whilst you slowly withdraw the other one. From what I have learn't from your last posts you are taking citalpram and mirtazapine has been added to boost its anti depressant properties? Mirtazapine is not known for its anti anxiety properties and some on this forum have had to use other prescribed drugs as well to help with their anxiety. I have only really had bad anxiety when withdrawing from mirtazapine. I keep diazepan for emergencies any way. If my anxiety became really bad I would consider trying pregabalin which others have found successful. My problem has been severe recurrent depression. Talk to your GP if your anxiety does not shift. EJ.

SW
13-02-11, 22:49
he put me on these cause the combi is meant to be effective...i will give it another week see how it goes...it has been working my sleep is better and mood is a bit more stable just see if the anxiety starts to fade aswell,am hopeing x

SW
14-02-11, 16:08
hi all...my anxiety has been pretty bad yesterday and today i took my 10th mirt last night,is this normal i just feel like i wanna cry??

SW
14-02-11, 16:14
i didnt feel too bad a few days ago just jittery....had a few panc attacks today my face has been hot on and off all day,now i got a headache to top it off.iam actually just starting to calm from an attack now.