PDA

View Full Version : Hello to everyone, from a long term panicky arse

leeroy
04-02-11, 14:48
Hi All

just thought I would introduce myself. I'm Lee from Manchester

I have suffered with panic and anxiety since my early 20's (I'm now 27)

When I first had a panic attack I thought I was on my way out, I'd never been so scared. I was in the middle of a week in Austria with university and I was drifting off on the coach when I suddenly jerked up (like we all do when we drift off to sleep) but suddenly felt unreal, like I wasn't there, I felt empty, my breathing became fast and I felt hollow. My hands began to tingle..... you know the script. It ruined the rest of the trip and my life for the coming weeks and months. On my return I sought regular medical attention, trips to a&e even called out an ambulance because I thought I wasn't breathing.

I became agrophobic for nearly a month, I even when I did brave facing the world I would find myself leaving places I normally enjoyed and seaking the safety of my home. Football matches, playing pool with friends, even a Brithday meal for a mate were all situations which I wanted to escape because I thought I was going to keel over.

Eventually I got out more and more but still panic interupted my day to day life, I started drinking heavily in social situations as I found being p*ssed made me feel normal again, but that lead to more intense and prolongued bouts of anxiety and panic the day after

In the end I turned to CBT which really helped and I now get by a lot better... I still suffer with panic and anxiety and am even suffereing a relapse lately (hence me being here to seek some support)

But since the dark days of my early stages of panic I have achieved so much; 2 degrees at university, I hpld down a full time job which even entails some foreign travel and have happily endured many trips abroad both near and far, things I never thought I would do again... I hope this can bring soem hope to others who have been where I have and feel trapped

Anyway that's me, look forward to chatting with some of you soon

diane07
04-02-11, 14:49
Hi leeroy

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

buster_uk1967
04-02-11, 15:23
Hi Leeroy, Thanks for your post, there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Regards Buster.

leeroy
04-02-11, 15:42
Hi Leeroy, Thanks for your post, there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Regards Buster.

cheers Buster

that's what I like to think also

when in the midst of a panic attack nothing seems to be possible but you come out of it eventually and life is for living & what would it be without it's challenges... you just have to embrace and enjoy those good days and do what you can on the bad days

midgey
04-02-11, 16:10
Hi, Welcome.
Your story is very similar to mine. I felt a lot better after some counselling, even managing to fly to America 2 yrs ago. Unfortunately, things deteriorated last year and I went back to staying and going to places where I felt safe.
I'm trying hard to claw my way back out, but it's a long way up !!
Glad you have managed to do so well, keep up the good work

Vanilla Sky
04-02-11, 16:11
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

maks
04-02-11, 17:41
Hi leeroy,

I have signed up to the site today as well - currently suffering from anxiety that is having a large negative affect on my day to day life.

Last year I overcame a period of 'moderate' depression and anxiety where i suffered panic attacks. Unfortunately due to some poor decisions on my part and some other circumstances, I am here today seeking the advice and experience of others as well.

Thanks for your post, it's good to hear the experiences of others - I am sorry to hear you too are currently going through a relapse as well, but from what you have posted, you have been strong enough to overcome this before and I am sure you will again.

Kind Regards

Veronica H
04-02-11, 18:31
:welcome:to NMP Leeroy and Macs. This is probably the most positive first post I have ever seen Leeroy and thanks for sharing your story. I have now got a handle on my panic anxiety but still have occasional panics especially on trains and on the tube. I take these as opportunities to 'practice and not test' as the great Dr Weekes advises. Acceptance and not adding fear is definitely the key long term....I didn't say it was easy though.

Vx

phil6
04-02-11, 19:12
Hi Leeroy,
I find myself saying ... Oh I know what you mean.... It is such a common story.
I find myself joining this forum today as all those feelings have returned to me over the last few days when I was sure I had this thing beat... and the thing is they seem just as permenant and just as overwhelming... I know we shouldn't take these feelings so seriously... but it aint easy. There is nothing more frightening than fear.

leeroy
05-02-11, 03:01
hi all

cheers for the welcome messages, I aint as positive as the post suggests but familiarity leads to a more acceptance state of mind I suppose, so I am less frightened than those who this maybe completely new too

Managed to go out and remain calm for the most part this evening, and even had a sit down meal without feeling too much as though I would choke :yesyes:

I've made sure I have been to the gym every evening this week too, I find this does wonders in the long term... the old healthy body / healthy mind cliche is apt to an extent

I wish you all well in over coming your anxiety and related problems