PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli?

mtatum4496
04-02-11, 18:39
Does anyone else notice that your anxiety seems to ease off a bit after having a helping of broccoli?

The weather is beastly here and even without my anxiety/agoraphobia there is no desire to go out. Luckily, there are no errands to run today so I can stay home. I whipped up some bean curd and broccoli for lunch and was reminded once again of how calm and collected I feel for a couple of hours after having steamed or stir-fried broccoli.

There's probably a nutrient or group of nutrients in the vegetable that helps with the nerves, or it may just be my imagination. Anybody else here get a lift from broccoli?

teez
04-02-11, 18:56
nope i have just realised the same,,one of our local stores has been selling broc at half price for weeks so ive had broc with every meal now for some time and your right i do feel calmer ,,lettuce is the same ,,i eat a lot and this also keeps me calm and collected,,one of natures little gifts me thinks

~glowly worm~
17-05-11, 21:28
Yes!!! Come to think of it so do i!!! How odd :) Thanks for highlighting x

jtoyota
19-05-11, 17:01
I've found this too.
Not only with Brocoli - but with Cucumber, lettuce and also Cauliflower.
I've tried to google it to see if there are any common denominators - but so far drawn a blank!

If anyone does know of any please let me know - cos there could be more 'cailming food' we can all make use of !

shoegal
19-05-11, 18:54
Well that's strange. I eat LOTS of broccoli and I have never noticed any improvemet in my anxiety after eating it! Perhaps it depends what you eat with it, or upon other factors?

mtatum4496
22-05-11, 18:14
Well that's strange. I eat LOTS of broccoli and I have never noticed any improvemet in my anxiety after eating it! Perhaps it depends what you eat with it, or upon other factors?

Shoegal, it's probably like any other strategy for reducing the symptoms of anxiety - what helps one does nothing for the next person. There's probably some nutrient in it that is giving my body something in particular it needs, triggering the reduced jitters. You may not be lacking in that same one so the broccoli has no effect.