PDA

View Full Version : Here I go again.... Anxious and down

phil6
04-02-11, 18:55
Hi,
I think I have always been a nervy shy person, although my friends and collegues would never know... I have been successful at work, had a long and good marriage, with 2 wonderful children who have now grown up and started their own famalies. I have no problems, or no more than normal, but still seem to go through these horrible periods in my life.
When younger I had what was called a "nervous breakdown" now know as acute anxiety, but managed to stay at work for most of that period and found great solace in Claire Weekes books, who seemed to understand much more than any of the GPs I went to.... These books I still believe hold the answer for me and indeed apart from a few odd weeks I have enjoyed life with a new confidence over the last several years.
As I approach retirement, I suppose I should expect a few physical problems, but I have been relatively free of illness for all my life. Recently I started getting palpitations and have been diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure. This caused me to descend for a short time into anxiety and feeling worried and depressed.... Just a few weeks ago I had a bit of a funny turn whilst excercising (double vision) and I again went to the Docs who checked me out, but she was unsure what, if anything, was the problem. I suppose I then did a silly thing, searching the internet for some answers and have spent that last 4 or five days convinced I have something serious wrong.
Like I say, I believe I have got better in the past with self help methods, yet I find myself again waking with that dreaded feeling, frightened of escalating my emotions and travelling down that dark road to depression, a road I desperately want to avoid. This deperation I know adds to the anxiety, but I still find the symptom shockingly acute even after all this time.
Maybe in a few days I will at last see how silly my thoughts have again become, see the light, and get back again to a "normal" life.
I did find this web site today and felt uplifted by it.
I have always used my wife as support when I find myself slipping into this state, but I guess this becomes wearing on her too. I would find it comforting to chat with others who experience similar things and would love to help others if I can. I am now 58 years old and first experienced high anxiety followed by exhaustion and depression many, many years ago. The good news is that, for me it always passes and I have several powerful ways to deal with it, but when I feel like I do today, I, like most others, cannot see my way through it and find it just as difficult as the first time.....

diane07
04-02-11, 18:57
Hi phil6

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

LucyR
04-02-11, 19:02
Hi, I too know that it is all too easy to be "fine" one day and then be back at the start with the anxiety and depression the next day. It is so very hard to overcome this.