PDA

View Full Version : Panic about food?

apricot
19-03-04, 15:52
Hi all,

Me again! I have made progress after what a consultant described as a 'Crisis'. I have been seeing a CBT therapist for the last 3 weeks and he anticipates that 'proper treatment' will begin next Friday.

Alot of the fears that I had 4 weeks ago I have rationalised myself, to keep me on the straight and narrow (although it has been hard at times). But last week a silly negative thought hit my mind and now it is taking hold and I am frightened that it will take off big time.

I am worrying about eating. I really need to nip this in the bud as I don't want an eating disorder on top of everything else. Everything I eat I am beginng to think - what if it makes me ill? What if there is something in it that will affect my mind and make me lose control? It is in my system now, there is nothing I can do - PANIC.

When I had this crisis, my appetite went completely and I lost about a stone over a week, then as the anxiety started to lessen I began eating again, there was no problem until last week.

I know my mind still races at times and maybe this is just another thing that will go in time but I am really worried.

As I have explained before this latest crisis was brought on by taking one anti-depressant tablet, the thought I had at the time were - it is in my system, there is nothing anyone can do, what if I go mad, etc - basically being out of control.

I think this thing about food is to do with the above. Has anyone else had this - scared to eat?

Thanks all,

Nicola

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

Meg
19-03-04, 16:23
Yes this will go in time too - it's just one of those thoughts that has turned obsessive as you thought it through and related it back to your one pill in your system.

Congratulations on such great progress these last few weeks.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
19-03-04, 21:03
Nikki

Take a look at this post ...

Food and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154)

Nicola

diana
20-03-04, 20:18
Nikki,

I too have had that in my mind.

I went through a phase where I would`nt take my meds or eat, because I thought I would choke, or I felt when I ate I could not breathe. Does that make any sense?

It will pass, mine did. Thankfully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just try to be patient and take little steps.

Congratulations on the recent progress and finding a therapist who will make sure you get the right treatment.

Let us know how you get on with things.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Laurie28
22-03-04, 11:55
Yip, I was petrified I would have an allergy to certain things I ate. There are still things I will not touch. All I can say is keep eating all sorts of foods do not avoid anything and it will get easier.

Lucky

Michelle
28-03-04, 19:36
Hi everyone!
I was really interested to hear about food panic. I am fine with food if I'm on my own or just with my husband in the house. It's eating out I can't cope with. Restaurants, meals at friends' houses can be a nightmare (although I'm not nearly as bad as I was).

I think it's more to do with fear of disappointing people than the food itself. If someone likes me I somehow have to show I'm actually a nutcase and they'd be better off with another friend, if I'm with colleagues they could realise I'm crazy, I end up with the sack, can't pay the bills, become homeless. Husband likes eating out, so if I panic I can ruin the evening for him, he'll hate me as well and want a divorce! [xx(] It's so stupid it's quite funny when I'm sitting here, safe and not anxious but bloody awful when it happens.

Anyone else enjoy these types of fun and games too?
Michelle

diana
29-03-04, 19:08
Hiya Michelle,

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!! :)

So glad you found our forum. :)

I actually have, just slightly though for a short lived period of time went through a phase like this one that you mention above.

However mine fortunately for me, was not as intense.

I think mine just popped up with all the other physical symptoms I was having at that particular time with my anxiety/panic.

I mostly worried I would be poisoned, or get "MAD COW DISEASE" if I ate out, but then I gradually started thinking my home food was going to do the same.

Of course none of those things happened, but scary and very uncomfortable none-the-less ey?

Try to set small goals for yourself that will get you out to eat, starting with places you "most trust" right now. Then gradually open up to other places so that you and your husband can go out to enjoy meals together. :)

You will find of course initially you will be very uncomfortable, but the more you do it the better it gets, trust me.

Try not to worry to much about disappointing other people. Try to focus on your own recovery. We can`t please everyone but we can please ourselves and make ourselves more comfortable in any given situation.

Keep us posted on how you are getting along.

I wish you luck!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

silentcalligraph
01-04-04, 20:32
well add me to the list of people afraid of food (isn't there a more fanciful name) - either because of allergies or choking. Add to that the social stress of going out or people bringing you real treats because they want to cheer you up (my family realized something was wrong and wanted to be good to me)... I've figured out it's best to be as open as possible about the problem even if it feels akward. My experience is that as soon as the pressure (I must eat, what will they think, this is silly) is gone the phobia starts to lose some of its grip and you can actually deal with it on a more proactive level.

Magster
01-04-04, 21:06
Hi everyone.

I too am afraid of eating. I'm afraid that I will choke most definitely. The food always gets stuck in my throat. I rarely eat when I am alone in case of choking. If I must, however, I have the phone next to me just in case I choke & can't breathe. If that were to happen I would dial for emergency & go outside just in case I passed out. Can u believe I have this all planned out?! :)

diana
01-04-04, 21:43
Hiya Silentcalligraph,

Welcome to our little family here.

Nice to have you aboard. :)

Good that you have realized it is a phobia, and have ideas on how to overcome the symptoms of it.

Thanks for the information. :)

Magster....

Actually the idea that you have all of the possibilities planned out is not so odd or wierd.

I think we all have mapped out our demise over these fears tons of times. LOL....... :-D

This only means you are among folks like yourself.

Which is very comforting is`nt it?

Take care,

Diana xxxx :D