PDA

View Full Version : Omperazole

pb
05-02-11, 19:04
Ive been taking 40 mg of omperazole for reflux for about 10 years and it works really well.Occassionally i take an extra dose and now ive started to worry that i could do myself damage by doing this!!!
Please advise..

uk23
05-02-11, 20:24
People with Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome can take up to 120mg (http://www.drugs.com/omeprazole.html) x 3 per day so you should be fine taking a little extra, although its not recommended. You could talk to a pharmacist if need be.

countrygirl
05-02-11, 20:25
The leaflet that should come with your tablets will tell you the maximum daily dose. If you haven't got one then your pharmacist will be able to tell you if you ask. Again the pharmacist will also be able to tell you if it is harmful to "overdose" on this particular drug- some drugs like opiates are very harmful in overdose but others would have almost no bad effects unless you took huge amounts so best to ask someone who knows.

Greenman50
05-02-11, 20:32
I read up loads on this and from what i,ve read theres no long term health issues noted with omperazole .

Only thing i read was it "might" inhibit the take up of "iron" (i think) the thing that leads to ostoperosis in the elderly , but this is easly sorted by takeing extra as a supplement .

I don,t do DR google anymore , but if you do its easy to check what vitamin "it might" stop your stomach absorbing . Sorry its a little vague but that was the only long term side possible effect i read of .

pb
05-02-11, 20:57
Thank you , your replies have really helped

Greenman50
05-02-11, 21:10
Should add my dad who is in his mid seventies has been takeing acid reducers in one form or another for well over 35 years , not sure which ones but allways has them in the house even now as i,ve seen them .

He had a stomach ulcer for years and really suffered untill one "new" type of med came out and his ulcer healed eventually but still has the excess acid now and again .

judipat
05-02-11, 22:42
Hi

Do you take your omeprozole in 2 doses or all at once.
I take 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening. They are delayed release tablets so that works better for me. If you are taking an extra one for immediate releif, it wont work
If i'm having a bad time, i usually take something else like ranitadine or gavascon etc.

Greenman50
05-02-11, 23:11
Hi

Do you take your omeprozole in 2 doses or all at once.
I take 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening. They are delayed release tablets so that works better for me. If you are taking an extra one for immediate releif, it wont work
If i'm having a bad time, i usually take something else like ranitadine or gavascon etc.

Thanks judipat

You explain things much better than i do , i do the same as you and didn,t explain this to the op .

PB .....THIS IS GREAT ADVICE