PDA

View Full Version : Not a major achievement but big to me.

midgey
05-02-11, 21:34
Hi Everyone,
I posted a couple of weeks back in the phobia section about joining a health spa and gym. I have agoraphobia and other phobias so going to the spa, having my gym induction etc was sending me into a panic.
I just wanted to update in a positive thread that I done it !! I went for the induction, it was really full on, but I told him at the outset I have anxiety and he was really lovely. I then stayed in the gym for 20 mins, then went to the spa bit and swam, sat in the jaccuzi, went in the tropical rain shower and relaxed on the hot beds. I even started talking to a man who works for the local mental health charity and has just qualified as a counsellor. I told him all about my anxiety and he opened up and said he also has anxiety.
I am going in the morning for a yoga class. I'm not looking forward to it, as it's new, but I will tell the instructor first I feel quite anxious. It's weird, but once I've explained I may be a bit "odd" I'm actually fine.
Anyway, as the title says, it's not major...I haven't woken up and it's all gone away but it's a little step and hopefully my confidence will grow :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:: yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

mtatum4496
05-02-11, 21:37
Midgey, this is absolutely wonderful news! Well done!

Tish
06-02-11, 12:42
That's fantastic Midgey.. Well done!
Isn't life much easier when you explain your problems to someone beforehand? It's almost like offloading them and SO helpful when they seem to understand, or at least, not react negatively. x

paula lynne
06-02-11, 16:52
Well done Mich, thats brilliant! :D:hugs::yesyes:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ditzygirl
06-02-11, 17:52
Well done - it is a huge achievement.

Hope you are really proud of yourself and keep us update of your progressxx

Thistooshallpass
06-02-11, 22:04
Hi Everyone,
I posted a couple of weeks back in the phobia section about joining a health spa and gym. I have agoraphobia and other phobias so going to the spa, having my gym induction etc was sending me into a panic.
I just wanted to update in a positive thread that I done it !! I went for the induction, it was really full on, but I told him at the outset I have anxiety and he was really lovely. I then stayed in the gym for 20 mins, then went to the spa bit and swam, sat in the jaccuzi, went in the tropical rain shower and relaxed on the hot beds. I even started talking to a man who works for the local mental health charity and has just qualified as a counsellor. I told him all about my anxiety and he opened up and said he also has anxiety.
I am going in the morning for a yoga class. I'm not looking forward to it, as it's new, but I will tell the instructor first I feel quite anxious. It's weird, but once I've explained I may be a bit "odd" I'm actually fine.
Anyway, as the title says, it's not major...I haven't woken up and it's all gone away but it's a little step and hopefully my confidence will grow :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:: yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Well done! I think part of the fear of panic is that no one will understand-and when you say it out loud and they don't judge you it's a relief. I spend alot of time thinking that I am the only one worrying about panic day to day but I am starting to realise everyone else tries to say strong just like me. Like they say-1 in 4 but people don't open up unless you get close. I think if everyone was understanding of panic and were understanding of all my fears I wouldn't actually have much left to fear:wacko: Or maybe it's more that I fear people don't understand when in fact people do

haz
06-02-11, 23:23
Well done! That's a huge achievement, you should be really proud of yourself. I was terrified of my gym induction too but in the end I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I had a relapse and ended up back in hospital for 11 weeks so I'll have to do it all again and I'm really scared, keep putting it off. Maybe I'll phone them this week to arrange another appointment.

Good for you! :yesyes:

Thumbelina
07-02-11, 01:40
Michelle, it is a very good news it must jave busted your confidence allot. You should be proud of yourself. Take care

allergyphobia
07-02-11, 11:36
well done michelle!! so pleased for you x x x