PDA

View Full Version : How long do I have to wait

carolea
06-02-11, 09:08
Hi, Im new to all this. My partner of 14 years walked out on me and our 7 year old son for another woman, 5 months ago. Almost immediately I went in to shock and developed anxiety and panic. I was prescribed valium to help calm me down and 2 weeks ago I was given citralopram. I was told to take 10mg for a week then up to 20mg. I dont feel any better on these, although I know it takes time for them to get in your system. I feel really anxious in the mornings and have to take a valium as soon as I wake up. Iv been getting mild side effects from the citralopram, nothing compared to what I was going through anyway. Some advice would be gratefully recieved x

sammi
06-02-11, 10:41
So sorry to hear about what your going through. I was on cit last year and it took about 8 weeks to take full effect but when they did I felt great. Everyone is different and they may work quicker for other people. Hang in there xx

chrisl
06-02-11, 16:43
I really understand what you are going throw i was in a similar situation and its a massive life changing situation you are in . the doctor put me on cit and i also tried a few other meds but i was unable to cope with the side effects :ohmy: . Its been a very long road for me and its still hard some days . You will find it very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but one day you will. Just take one day at a time, take care and i hope things improve for you soon :hugs:

paula lynne
06-02-11, 16:44
A belated welcome to the forum. You're not alone. You'll find lots of support and advice here, and make some great friends along the way too. We are all here for you x:welcome:

carolea
06-02-11, 18:44
Thank you for your kind messages. It helps to know other people are in the same position and Im not actually going mad !!! I am hoping the citralopram will help me a bit but I feel disappointed in myself for having to resort to meds to get through this awful time. I have went from a confident woman to a nervous wreck in a few months. Iv just upped my citralopram from 10 to 20mgs on the doctors instructions and I feel more anxious now. Does anyone know if this is a side effect from the drug ? I just wish I could get back to being myself but instead all my thoughts are concentrated on how anxious I feel:weep:

waiting
06-02-11, 19:53
Hi,

They defo made me more nervous and sometimes now I still feel like that on cit. It is a normal side effect and you are not going mad. I am disappointed with myself and how I feel but don't beat yourself up about it. Try and exercise, walking is brilliant or swimming that helps with the anxiousness.

carolea
06-02-11, 20:02
Thanks again for taking time to reply to my post. I thought when I was prescribed the ADs that I would feel great in no time !!!! Its been 16 days and I still feel the same, more anxious in the mornings tho, and I keep waiting for them to kick in. Iv read loads of posts on citalopram and Iv read it can take weeks or maybe months to feel the full benefit of them. I try to keep busy, I work during the week and I meet up with friends when I can but I find my mind is constantly thinking about how I feel, I hope they work soon, so I can get back to being me again.

paula lynne
06-02-11, 20:44
Keep going, things will improve I promise. You need to give the tabs around 6-8 weeks to feel the benefit, and often anxiety does initially increase because your dose has increased. Keep busy, enjoy your little boy, meet friends, read a good thick novel, invest in relaxation cd (or rent them from the library)...I know its hard to keep going but things will definately get better for you very soon and Im sure youll feel more like yourself in no time. Take care of yourself x

sammi
06-02-11, 21:13
Thank you for your kind messages. It helps to know other people are in the same position and Im not actually going mad !!! I am hoping the citralopram will help me a bit but I feel disappointed in myself for having to resort to meds to get through this awful time. I have went from a confident woman to a nervous wreck in a few months. Iv just upped my citralopram from 10 to 20mgs on the doctors instructions and I feel more anxious now. Does anyone know if this is a side effect from the drug ? I just wish I could get back to being myself but instead all my thoughts are concentrated on how anxious I feel:weep:

Don't feel disapointed in yourself sometimes we just need a little help to get through bad patches in our lifes. And yes having your dose upped will increase anxiety for a while until your body adjusts to the new dose. Same with starting the meds for the first time it will increase anxiety just till the meds kick in. I really hope they start to kick in soon and you feel lots better. X

carolea
06-02-11, 22:08
Thank you all so much for your great replies. I feel really stupid having to ask people for advice on my anxiety problem. I used to be so confident and I know the advice I would be giving to people in my position but since this anxiety started I dont trust my own judgement and feel I need to be reassured constantly. I have read that upping the dose will make me more anxious and yet I have to ask if its normal ??? I really am grateful for your replies and appreciate you all taking the time to read my posts. Heres hoping the meds kick in soon:)

Patsta
09-02-11, 02:14
Hey Carolea,
Never, ever feel dissapointed in yourself for having to take medication. If thats what it takes to get you feeling better, then so be it! I was exactly the same 9 years ago! I didn't want to take medication, but in the end, I'm glad I did! Your medication will soon take effect...I know it seems like an eternity away, but its not, and in no time you will start to feel better. I, like you had to take Xanax every morning for a little while (similar to Valium) until my medication kicked in. It definatley helps, and takes the edge of your anxiety! So keep taking it when you need to, until you start to feel better.
Good Luck!