PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared today

maks
06-02-11, 11:04
I'm quite new to the site, I've posted a few times over the last few days about the anxiety i am currently experiencing - it's really affecting my life and I can't get out of the cycle of thinking about how i feel and how I'm affecting those around me and the rest of my life....

Why can't I get any proper sleep? For 2 weeks now, the pattern is getting worse. I've been taking Citalopram for over a month now and Buspirone for a short term boost. The night before last, I had 2 hours sleep, yesterday I stayed up all day until I thought I couldn't last any longer, had no caffeine, ate a good meal, had a warm shower before bed, as soon as i got into bed, I couldn't sleep - it was 2 and a half hours before falling asleep with thoughts racing - then about 3 hours of sleep and bolt-awake again - the lack of sleep is stopping me taking any 1st steps for myself that everyone keeps telling me I need to... I'm really scared of this now, it's having such an impact on me and I'm sitting at home alone too tired to do anything - I have a constant overwhelming feeling as if I'm being threatened, but there is no reason for this - I don't want to stop and try to sleep in case it stops me again tonight and I'm dreading laying awake again for hours tonight

I'm scared this won't go away and I'm exhausted

juiceyloop
06-02-11, 11:28
Hi hun,

I am currently having the same problems, i constantly feel weak and tired its really got me down. I have been reading alot and usually find it helps me drift off but no matter how exhausted i am i find it difficult to fall asleep at night. But i tend to be able to sleep ok during the day which is not really an option as i have a 3 year old to take care of lol.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Tc & Good Luck xx

ladybird64
06-02-11, 11:30
Hi there :flowers:

I'm sure the scenario you have just described sounds very familiar to a lot of us, it is horrible and you have my sympathy.

What I would say is that it is quite common to have these sleep disturbances with Citalopram, I had it from about the 3rd to 6th weeks after I started taking them but it does seem to settle down after a while.

I think the main problem you have here is the racing thoughts which are guaranteed to make anyone feel desperate. Problem is, because of their very nature we focus on them and that is the worse thing that we can do!

Either trying to slow the mind down or making a conscious effort to ignore them reinforces the fact that they are there and so they keep going..we are exhausted trying to cope..more thoughts..etc.

There is something you can try to help with this but it's not easy, with a little practice it does get better though.

Just let the thoughts flow from one subject to another without making any attempt to "fix in" on one particular thought. Don't try and empty your mind, just let the thoughts go flying past a top speed.

They can only stop and get wedged in your brain if you let them so don't try to stop them, don't pay any heed to them, don't try to ignore them..just let them go.

This is something that those of us who have learnt to manage our anxieties know applies to most aspects of anxiety..the more attention you give to something the worse it gets, even if you are trying to ignore it!

When you learn that and treat it with indifference it starts to lose some of it's power and those thoughts gradually fade..I promise.

It's not easy and it's hard to believe that this could possibly work (particularly when you are exhausted) but give it a try, maybe a few minutes at a time.

I know it's terrifying but there are many of us who have made it through this, I'm sure you will too :)

Thumbelina
06-02-11, 11:47
Hi Maks, i know how you feel as i fwl like this for 2 yeArs non stop. I have GAD for 4 years total but doing very good up tO now. In a bit dark place now as my mom in law passed away this morning at the age of 61.
Finding it hard to aknowledge and accept. Very hard.
Bit remember you will be fine as most of the people will tell you, at yoir own time. Dont rush the things.
Take care

maks
06-02-11, 13:07
Wow - this site is amazing - thank you for your kind replies so quickly.. It makes such a difference to have a way to communicate with people when you can't do so in normal circumstances...

juiceyloop - I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing similar issues - I really appreciate you sharing as it helps to know there are others out there - I hope you too are able to find a way forward

ladybird64 - what a post - no-one has suggested this before, from professionals to the hundreds of articles I've read on the web, this is something I really identify with as I've recognised the symptoms of anxiety going back years now leading to the current problems I'm having and one of the biggest issues I have in life is 'letting go'... This will really be something I'll be trying - thanks for taking the time to share

Thumbalina - I'm really saddened for you to hear of your news - thank you for taking the time to post even when that is going on - it really means a lot to hear from other people. I wish you and family all the best at this time.

Thumbelina
06-02-11, 14:42
Also thank you Maks. You are right, this site is a saviour. To some it helps more than medications because all people need is to communicate and talk it throught and with people who really know how you feel. Nicole who set this site is an angel.
As for your subject - sideeffects is the nig thng wirh this head pills. I remember the doctor that saw me first was chamging the tabs mamy many times for me, and it didnt do any food as i was only getting worse and nOt giving a chamce to any tabs. We hqve to tdy and toleratw some sideeffects for some time and then it will start working. Everybody is different and ot works differently for each person. I am on cipralex 10 mg only. Used to take 20 + antianxiety tabs. Later reduced to 10 mg. Have been for 2 years on 10mg. Take care....