PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia= I'm going mental?

chadders
07-02-11, 01:45
Hi Everyone, I have emetophobia, its taking over or should I say it hads taken over my life..
I am 35 and I act like a baby when I feel sick,,,,Idont want to be alone, I cry , I shake, I fear the humilation. I watch what I eat ( vegetarian) I panic if someone has a BUG (hate writing the word) Yet I try very hard to cover it up.
I cant let any one close ot me as i am embarressed by my fear.
THe last time I was sick was 4 yrs ago on a plane in a bag omg mortified, but i dealt with it, yet it is still a fear, the time b4 that was a good 18 yrs..
I panic more about the fear of it, its on my mind all the time.What if im sick here, where would i be sick, how would i cope, who would hold my hand.
Even writing this I know I sound mental
I chew gum, I eat mints, I am gooing insane with it.
I would lovve to have a baby, but as if!!!!
Anyway Im sorry I have released my nutty thoughts on you, be good to hear your thoughts xx

tbourner
07-02-11, 11:02
Close friend of ours has it and had a baby who's now 2 years old. Her hubby wants another baby but doesn't understand the fear she has and how stressed the whole thing made her. :(

Angelai
09-02-11, 09:38
Chadders, you are not alone! Emetophobia has complete control of my life too :weep:

I think about it every day, avoid doing so many things. Right now I have a really bad gum infection and will start losing my teeth if I don't act now - but I just can't bring myself to take the antibiotics because of side effects! It hurts so bad, why can't I just take the pills???

On a more positive note, I have a son (nearly 14 - scary!). I was very lucky and didn't get s**k - not everyone does. That's not to say I ever wanted to do it again though :ohmy:

Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of us. Coming on here really helps me. I hope you find some comfort here.

x

chadders
09-02-11, 19:55
Thanks guys, its good to know you're not alone, it is a phobia that is never really spoken about, yet fascinating to hear othgher people are in your boat.
Take care everyone xx
Chadders

Martin Burridge
09-02-11, 22:03
You are not alone and definitely not mad but you don't need to suffer this all your life. Specific phobias are common and are generally easy to get rid of. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Hypnotherapy are both effective. For most it only takes a few sessions. I strongly recommend you seek out a therapist.

chadders
10-02-11, 18:54
Thanks Martin i have an appointment next week to seek CBT....lets hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Chadders x:D

Pixiedust
10-02-11, 21:58
I have this phobia too, if I even feel a little car sick I start getting freaked out that I have a bug of some sort. You don't sound mental at all, no more than me anyway but I don't know if that's saying much lol. Early last year I used to watch what I ate frantically but I think I'm better now, I can eat more normal stuff. Hopefully you'll feel a bit more free soon as well. x x x

HelenLouise
10-02-11, 23:23
Hey!
I know exactly where you're coming from. I am ridiculous when it comes to being/feeling sick. I am obsessively clean, i watch what I eat, I never leave the house without some concoction of anti sickness pills in my bag...oh and I carry a sick bag and toilet role at all times =p.

I wasn't sick for 12 years...since i was like 8 and then at the end of 2010 I got travel sick. I dealt with it + it wasn't so bad but the fear stayed. Last friday i faced my nightmare and got a bug that lasted 3 hours (not bad, i know but still) and I coped but yet the fear remains.

It seems endless. I have CBT appointments though!

Have you seen a counsellor? xxx

honeyp1e
19-02-11, 19:10
i no how you all feel i have this to and it has now TAKEN OVER my life i hardly eat and when i do eat its just toast / biscuits etc am now only at 6stone and life just doesnt seem to be getting any better for me am so angry and fustrated with myself that i just cant eat as am so hungry and want the foods but negative thinking really takes over i have even at times rang my mental health ward and basically begged them to take me in and lock me up i cant go on like this anymore i NEED HELP and i don't no where to turn this has got to end am killing myself by not eating !!!!!
i do have anti-sickness i hardly take unless i feel so bad as i hate depending on tabs but i got new ones yesterday called - motilium domperidone 10mg has anyone tried these?? do you find taking your anti-sickness regaular help ??