PDA

View Full Version : Please help - feel so hopeless.

pinkdante
07-02-11, 13:50
I have suffered with OCD since I was 7 and have to say have had intrusive thoughts since very young but none were as bad as the ones I had that something would happen to my child, and typically I do things daily to try to 'protect' him by silly rituals. Its really upsetting me as it seems very common to think you will harm a loved one but not many people have disturbing images pop into their head that they then think may come true - or maybe they do but I just cant talk to anyone about it.
I have always avoided looking at his palm as I was brought in amidst lots of superstition etc (classic I know) but last night glimpsed he had a fairly short lifeline. I cried for 2 hours. Please can someone help as I feel the urge to go and grab little old ladies hands to see if I could be wrong. I just feel to helpless.
Thank you for reading x

Samb
07-02-11, 14:06
hi you are not alone - I have had OCD for most of my life and recently have been through a very intense time of thinking - I have 2 children and the thoughts do revolve around them and I know how horrible and scarry it can be. But I have been free of this for a while now and am confident that it will not be coming back.

you do not have to live with this - it is just your mind playing tricks on you - go and see your Doctor and get referred to CBT and read Claire Weekes books. I have also studied mindfullness which really helped me let the thoughts float past me and eventually because I was not paying them any attention then went.

You can get over this and you are not alone.