PDA

View Full Version : Dentist, any tips?

lnew
07-02-11, 21:02
:scared15:

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, so fear of dentist combined with panic attacks not great. Does anyone have any tips to help me through it without losing it? Thanks x

_Emma
07-02-11, 23:39
I'm afraid I don't really have any advice, as I am facing the same problem on Friday! My dentist appointment is at 3.15 on Friday and I'm terrified! Hopefully someone can share some tips with us!

xx

nomorepanic
07-02-11, 23:42
Hi

Have you read the dental phobia website page on the left?

_Emma
07-02-11, 23:43
I did not even notice that!!! Thank u so much, I will go take a read just now!

xx

laurenessex
08-02-11, 13:35
okay first off take someone with you to help you get in the door, wait and go in with you....mum has been a godsend. Also take a book, ds console, notepad or mobile in with you in case you have to wait around. If like me you have a tendency to gag when they check out your mouth or do an xray, explain to the dentist and just take a lot of deep breaths, and unless your having treatment, sips of water helps too....and make sure you do something nice, however small after to reward yourself....i had two lots of dental treatment done, it took almost two years as i had two appts at one dentist, a referral (trip in car about 60 miles round trip and a long wait) which I didnt want, moved dentist got through root canal, ended up with more waiting and then an extraction in a private hospital under a general...very stressful but it needs to be done, if your likely to really panic they need to know, but grit your teeth and try and do it best you can.....it's horrible I know, but will be worth it when it's done...I'm due a dental checkup soon and just hoping I get a clean bill of health.

lnew
08-02-11, 19:01
Thanks for replies, had appointment this morning, wasn't too bad, the actual dental stuff isn't what the issue was, it was more the waiting around where the panic builds, but got through it ok. :)

xBettyBoopx
08-02-11, 20:36
I have no tips I'm afraid other than to give you encouragement in the fact that you are going!! Lots of people on here have panic attacks and like you still go to the dentist. I cannot tell you how long it's been for me, hence my teeth are in a terrible state!

All power to you :yesyes::yesyes: You have courage that you don't know you have.

Good luck.
Els