PDA

View Full Version : Derren Brown

W.I.F.T.S.
31-03-06, 10:15
Has anyone seen the Derren Brown show on Channel 4? I think he's brilliant. He's a psychological illiusionist for those who don't know. One of his tricks on Sunday evening was to get 5 groups of 5 people seperately and tell each of them to draw around their hand on a piece of paper and then put it in an envelope with something personal to them in it. He came back an hour later and there was an indepth, two page reading of each person's personality in the envelope. They each then spoke to camera about how true and personal it was. He then got them to swap readings until it dawned on them that they were all exactly the same.

The readings had included statements like 'you feel like you could write a great novel or song, but the fear of being disappointed in your efforts prevents you from even attempting it.'

My point is two-fold. Firstly, we think we are all unique and that nobody understands us, but there are so many universal truths and similarities between us all. We think we're strange for being panicky, but (i read) that upto a third of people have suffered atleast one panic attack in their lives. We're ashamed of being depressed, but the illness is rife, who HASN'T ever felt depressed?

Secondly, the skills that he uses (drawn from NLP, hypnosis, body language, psychology and many other fields) are available and learnable by all of us. Imagine having such power to influence yourselves and other people for the purpose of good? You can! Watch his show next Sunday and i promise you that you will be amazed.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

sillymoo
31-03-06, 11:16
thanx 4 that wishidfoundthissooner i will look out for it!take care luv mooxXx

Chardonay
31-03-06, 22:06
Hi, I am a big Derren Brown fan and got the chance to see him live last year, and met him after the show.
He is a very nice bloke.
The shows he has done have all been great, and he also has books out

Have you seen his website?

Chardonay.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror

Louise
01-04-06, 14:38
I'm thinking along the lines of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) for myself, having been down the counselling/Psychodynamics/CBT etc etc road many years ago (without much success). To me, it makes a huge amount of sense to try NLP as I've always felt that my panic disorder was a faulty wiring problem in the brain. Has anyone alctually tried NLP though, and is it available on the NHS? (just been quoted £300 for a 2 hour session!)

HazyMind
17-02-07, 20:52
I love Derren Brown, he never ceases to amaze me...such a clever man.

Didnt realise he had another series on I shall keep an eye out for him!

x