PDA

View Full Version : zoloft!! help

clairey
15-08-03, 11:26
has anyone taken this med for anxiety and what side effects did you get??
Ive herd it can cause stomach upset!!
my doc wants to give it to me for anxiety which is due to my stomach problems and i dont want the med making my stomach worse as this wont help my anxiety at all!!

please help
claire xx

cmitchell

sarah
18-08-03, 21:20
Hi Claire
What the other name of the medicine as I cant find it in my BNF (drug book).
Sarah
xx

bishop
19-08-03, 08:49
hi
inside the box you should find a leaflet which some times gives another name for the med your taking,it will also give you the run down on what the side effects are.
bish

designerchick
20-08-03, 21:03
sorry its called zoloft or lustral any ideas

sarah
20-08-03, 22:33
Hi
Lustral is the drugs company's name for the drug sertaline.
Is this the one?
A lot of these types of drugs have a long list of side effects, many of them are the same for each drug. Although they are said to have side effects it doesnt necessarily mean you will get any of them. For instance I was on Prozac for 2 weeks at first and they made me soooo dizzy and sick that I had to come off them. Then I was put on Lustral which wasnt too bad but wasnt stopping the panic as well as I thought it should. Im now on Cipramil and I have no side effects what so ever (even though all 3 of these drugs belong to the same drug group - selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors - the effects were different)
So you see its all really trial and error to see what suits you. They affect different people in different ways and not everybody gets side effects. And remember they usually take a few weeks to make a difference! so dont give up.
I hope that makes some kind of sense - Im not trying to talk rubbish, im a pharmacy technician.
Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
21-08-03, 17:10
All

Don't forget there is a Medication page on this site and that details the side-effects of most drugs too.

Nicola

alexiussooty
24-08-03, 01:09
Hi Folks:

Alexiussooty here again. Zoloft (Sertraline HCL) is an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor). Zoloft is used to treat depression, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), panic attacks and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The most common side effects of Zoloft include an upset stomach, having trouble sleeping, diarrhoea, dry mouth, feeling unusually sleepy or tired, tremors (shaking), indigestion, sweating, poor appetite and agitation. It should be remembered though that many people take Zoloft with little, if any significant side effects. Zoloft should not be taken with MAOI’s.

It seems that your Doctor is treating your upset stomach as a symptom of anxiety, it could however be undiagnosed irritable bowel syndrome, another good idea would be to discuss your diet with your Doctor particularly with regard to Gluten tolerance and food related allergies. These are just suggestions of course but if you feel that you are being “fobbed off” by your Doctor ask for a second opinion.

Regards:

Alexiussooty.

clairey
24-08-03, 16:46
thanks for all your help! i know we r all different but i like to hear stories. My stomach probs are nothing to do with my anxiety, but my anxiety is due to my stoamch.thanks

cmitchell

Shelley
26-08-03, 13:12
Clairey

I suffer from Colitis so I can sypathise - I control my with diet for the most part, but it does flair up and become quite paintful when I am extremely stressed - to be honest it not something that has ever really bothered me - I've had it for 15 years so you could say I have learnt to live with it - besides I can lose a stone in a week when it gets quite bad so every cloud has a silver lining!!!

Shell