PDA

View Full Version : Another bad school holiday?

lisa p
31-03-06, 10:43
Hi there,

Woke up this morning with sudden fear - another school holiday is looming, once again I feel very guilty that my son will be stuck at home all day every day, he is very understanding but I hate not being able to take him out and about like other mum's do. Today, being the last day of term, I will be outside the school waiting, listening to all the other mums and their plans for the holidays, some going on holiday, others organizing day trips etc.

If only I could do this, does anybody else feel like I do, these panic attacks are really getting to me now, my husband and my son are going on holiday in three weeks time, although I dont mind, I am pleased they are getting on with their lives, I am finding myself in tears just thinking about them leaving me. I would love to be able to take my son shopping before he goes away, but I just do not feel able to at the moment. The doctor has told me I must start taking Paroxetine, but I am so worried about the side effects etc.

Any advice greatly received??

Thanks Lisa Px

Two heads
31-03-06, 11:08
HiLisa!Soory to here you feel like this,but your not alone hun.Maybe you should just try the paroxetine and see if you get side affects frist,not everyone does.Ive been on citalopram for 4 weeks and the frist few weeks i must say i waset my best.But now i think theres a def improvement(touchwood).I have been very scared about the side affects, but i want my life back and i will try anything with in reason.Most sideaffects calm down after a week or two.You wont be like this forever,just keep working at it like me.xx

Ma Larkin
31-03-06, 11:38
Hi Lisa, I'm a bit like you & it took me ages to take meds. I've been on Prozac now for 2 weeks. I'm a bit tired, but apart from that no side effects at all. I don't think we'll ever know if there will be side effects until we try them, so if I were you I'd give them a go. We all react differently & if you're going to have any side effects, you will get them pretty quickly & just come off the meds & tell your GP they didn't agree with you. If anything can make you feel a little bit better so you can taken your son out, then its well worth taking the risk. I don't know anyone who had any serious side effects on any meds. Some people have said they felt a bit worse before they felt better, but that's about it.

Go for it Lisa, you have nothing to lose & you never know. In a couple of months you too could be out there with your son.

Good luck hun.

Les, xx

sweet_gem
31-03-06, 12:49
hi there lisa
i woke up this morning feeling the same way iv suffered 19 years and have had to rely on people taking them out 2 years ago my life changed and we got a canal boat and i went to it and its like a home we had fun for a year the kids looks when we went out made me so happy but after a set back with me the boats had to be sold cause i cant get out again i too feel sad but i cherish the memories we had and they understand im sure your boy will just think one day you will get out with him im sure it will come it makes it worse this holiday cause my 1st grandchild is due in a week so theyll be off to see him me iv got to wait while he comes out and theyll bring him to see me :( keep your pecker up lisa

j butcher

sassy
01-04-06, 23:26
lisa, i know how you feel. i was also terrified of taking meds due to their side effects so my doctor put me on lofepramine which he said have minimal side effects. the first 10 days are usually a bit up and down but after that it settles. mine arent too strong but they seem to keep me in a calmer state and i dont feel as anxious.
i have 4 kids aged 13 down to 22 months and like you, i dread the holidays. altho i can get out and about, there are a thousand times when i have to stop what we are doing and go home, or more often than not, the kids go out with my parents and i stay at home. there are days when i cry with the guilt, but i am what i am and i dont ask for these feelings and nor do i invite them. it happens..we are human and altho you cant get out, im sure your a wonderful mum. if your werent, you wouldnt feel like you do.
if the medication makes you feel ill, you cant stop and try something else. its all trial and error and what works for some doesnt neccessarily work for someone else.
thinking of you.
take care
em xx

sassy
01-04-06, 23:28
i meant you CAN stop and try something else..i must learn to re-check my typing!!