PDA

View Full Version : Ethromycin (antibiotics)

daisycake
08-02-11, 20:48
I posted something very similar about this earlier but didnt word it too well so will try again *sighs* - my mum was prescribed this tablet and sertraline, and also prochloperazine yesterday. According to google, all three aren't great together - particularly in high doses, and my mum's taking 4000mg a day of the antibiotics ... It says that you only need worry about the prochlo thing if you're taking the antibiotics intravenously and she's not. So I guess that's one worry off my list. It says however the other two can cause problems together - like an abnormal heart rythym) but wikipedia doesn't say that, and neither do the usual places (netdoctor etc). Only random weird websites like FDA do - and I can't tell how up to date they are. So - should I worry? I did mention it to mum earlier who pointed out that the GP is also a pharmacist, so in effect the drugs have been checked by two pharmacists and the GP, so should it be OK? Or should I keep worrying?

See if you google something like this the amount of weird and wonderful stuff that comes up is somewhat surreal... sooo many essays and journals...

It may not be 4000mg she is taking by the way, maybe a bit wrong there!!

Dahlia
08-02-11, 20:53
I've taken all three of those together and was ok. But I can't say for sure whether it is ok to take them together. I did because no one told me otherwise :S

daisycake
08-02-11, 23:11
Thank you, I know what you mean - have looked at all three info leaflets (two of which were only revised in 2010) and they don't mention this - just say to mention to your GP if you are taking other meds - and GP knows full well what meds mum is on, as does pharmacist so will have to try my best to trst them.. got CBT tommorow too and he's a nurse so will see what he says...

blueangel
09-02-11, 09:19
Do check this with a pharmacist if you're still worried (you can always phone Boots or Lloyds for a bit of advice over the phone), but I've taken erythromycin many times in my life, as I'm allergic to penicillin, and have taken them alongside all sorts of other medications. The worst thing about them is that they can upset your stomach and give you the trots, so it's usually best to take them with food if you can.