PDA

View Full Version : Ovary Removal - anyone been through this?

sezios
08-02-11, 21:43
I'm going to have my right ovary removed soon. I have had a cyst for a long time and although it hasn't changed and appears normal on ultrasound, it is painful and recently I had an elevated CA125 blood test (this has obviously freaked me out, even though my consultant has tried to reassure me that CA125 can be elevated for all sorts of benign reasons).

My problem is I have to decide whether to have the left ovary removed at the same time. Pros - an immediate end to 30 years of heavy, painful periods. Cons - have read that removal of both (and the loss of hormones) increases risk of heart disease, oesteoporosis etc and that HRT won't necessarily combat these adverse effects. SO is it better to leave the healthy ovary and allow nature to take it's course, and have the benefit of 'natural' hormones OR take the opportunity to have both removed? - I would hate to have to have surgery again in a year or two, I'm scared stiff as it is of anaesthetic!!

Anyone had ovary/ovaries removed? Really would like some advice. I have to let my consultant know tomorrow!

ElizabethJane
08-02-11, 22:03
I had not had my ovaries removed but I have had a hysterectomy in 2007. There are other questions too. Whether you have finished/ do not want to have children? Also with both the ovaries gone it will make you menopausal and you willl probably need to take something ie HRT or other synthetic hormones to counteract this. I'm not sure of your age but early menopause was something I prepared myself for after my hyst. I'm forty nine but not yet menopausal. If you have one ovary left then it will do the job of two? Also if your consultant has a need to then he will remove the other ovary anyway. Even if you decide to have the operation and have both ovaries it will mean the end of childbearing and those implications and that means coming to terms with that loss(even if you have not thought about it for many years)Allow your consultant to guide you. If you have any doubts seek a second opinion. Best Wishes EJ.

sezios
08-02-11, 22:34
Thank you! I should have mentioned I am (almost) 48 and sadly was never able to have children. Had 4 cycles of IVF and 1 miscarriage. Not at all attached to my ovaries as they were never 'fit for purpose'! Having had IVF does raise some concerns as I have read that IVF can increase the risk of ovarian cancer but my consultant says this has been largely discredited.

I must add that I do have a wonderful adopted daughter who has brought nothing but joy to my life after all the difficult years.

linjoy
08-02-11, 22:57
I had an hysterectomy at the age of 48 because of very heavy periods, consultant recommended I have both ovaries as well as cervix and uterus ) removed because of risk of ovarian cancer later in life which I had done. on hrt for a while after and ok.
2 years ago i had unexplained bleeding from vagina saw consultant who said it was nothing serious because of having complete hysterectomy ( no womb, no ovaries, no cervix). Talk to your consultant he/she will advise you. In my case I was glad I had it done.
They can do an hysterectomy via vagina and also using an injection in spine to numb lower part of the body so it can be done without anaestetic
Hope I have been of some help

teez
08-02-11, 23:04
i had a full hysto when i was 37 ,,i had a seven pound cyst attached to one tube ,,which was also stuck to my bowel,,i was in the most awful pain,,heavy periods the lot,,so i was told they was going to take one tube out,,but id signed papers to have it all removed if the found anything else wrong,,when i came too ,,i was told they had done the full hysto and it was the best thing ive ever had done,,yup i had the hot flushes,,and ive gained weight,,but after all the pain and dispare it was nothing,,ive had no hrt just let mother nature take its course, i was up and about in no time,,i do think only you can decide though whether to opt for the lot done,,

ElizabethJane
09-02-11, 16:19
Hello Sesios I have had IVF but we did manage to have my son now nearly thirteen. I was aware of alink between IVF and ovarian cancer. Will your consultant perform the oophorectomy via key hole surgery. Whether you have one ovary removed or both it is still an operation with implications. I felt very strange after my hyst wondering whether my ovaries would 'kick in' again. They did. Strangely I don't miss my womb only my cervix although they did want to do a pregnancy test before I went to theatre. I had PCOS so the chances of giving birth naturally were very slim and we did try for eight and a half years. I would definitely go for a second opinion if you are in any doubt about the remaining ovary. I wish I had had a second opinion before my hyst although I'm glad now it has been done. I was a mass of adhesions and bowel was sticking to the womb. I wish you well about your decision and let us know of the outcome. EJ.

sezios
01-03-11, 22:42
Oophorectomy scheduled for next Wednesday and I'm sooo scared! I am dreading having surgery. I am having both ovaries removed and consultant will be checking uterus as a womb biopsy has revealed hperplastic(?) cells, apparently common in women of my age (48) but needs checking. He is hoping to do the op keyhole. One minute I want to cancel op then the next I know things will be much better afterwards - it's just the bit in between now and then that's the problem! I had gallbladder surgery 7 years ago, then I knew I had to have the op as my gallbladder was very enlarged. This time I feel that I don't have to have surgery. The elevated CA125 is the major factor in the decision to go ahead. On the other hand it will also get rid of the pain I get from the cyst (which has got worse in recent years) and will also finally relieve me of heavy, painful periods that I have suffered with for over 26 years! and take away the worry at the back of my mind of te IVF/ovarian cancer link (although my consultant says this link has been largely discredited). I am not 'emotionally' attached to these organs especially as they were never 'fit for purpose' in my case but I am so very scared of the surgery. I just want to know I'm going to be OK, but I suppose that's what we all want! Well I seem to be rambling for no-ones benefit but my own, hope someone might be 'listening' :)

ElizabethJane
01-03-11, 22:45
Hi Sezios I have just replied to your other post. How long does the consultant think you'll be in hosptial for? EJ

sezios
01-03-11, 23:10
Just seen your other post, thanks! As I live 'offshore' I am being admitted the day before and they said normally would be in for maybe 2 nights max. post op but they don't want me to travel home for another 24 hours so I may have to be in for 3 nights. I have provisionally booked flights to return home on the Saturday after so fingers crossed all will be well by then.

sezios
29-03-11, 21:20
To those who replied to me - hope you see this! I had my surgery on March 9th. All went well, had both ovaries removed. The one with the cyst was 'stuck down and a mangled mess' according to the surgeon. Nothing sinister found BUT a womb biopsy was taken at the same time and the result of that means I now need to have a hysterectomy :mad: I'm gutted that I have to have further surgery so soon (6-8 weeks) and I have to go through all that worry again. I just wish they could have done it all in one go in the first place. Been getting a few hot flushes since the oophorectomy but not too bad at the moment and once I have had the hsterectomy I will be able to have HRT if needed. I was doing really well post-op until I got this news and now I have all my anxiety symptoms back and feel very depressed. In the lead up to the op I was so amazed that I managed without reaching for the diazapam and now, when I should be feeling better, I find I need it again.