PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again :(

Lizzyg
09-02-11, 14:45
Doctor has now prescribed Sertraline as she says they have minimal side effects?

Tried Fluoxetine and Anafril which were both horrendous.

As you will all understand my anxiety is making me scared to try another medication terrified of the awful side affects.

Has anyone got anything positive to tell me about this drug please??

Starting my CBT tomorrow so Doc has said not to start until I have had my first session as she feels this is more important than the medication.

What makes it worse my husband just doesn't understand he tells me to just take the tablets and think positive it is all so so hard, just living is hard at the moment.

:wacko:

haz
09-02-11, 19:27
Hi there,

I've been on sertraline for 4 weeks now. Started at 25mg for a week and then up to 50mg which I'm still on. It made me feel a feel a wee bit sick at first but nothing too bad cos I've got emetophobia but I was fine, had no other side effects and I'm feeling a bit better and less anxious. Immediately before that I was on Imipramine which is very similar to Anafril (clomiprimane) and that didn't suit me at all. Before that I was on escitalopram for 5 months which seemed to help at first but then I became unwell again. Before THAT, I was on Seroxat for 14 years which worked very well for me until last year. I have also been on Prozac and a fewer other trycylics over the years.

I'm taking diazepam (5mg) 3 times a day just now as well cos I've just recently come out of hospital but that will be gradually reduced over time.

Good luck with the sertraline, it's nowhere near as bad as the imipramine was for me and as I said imipramine is very similar to Anafril.

Keep us posted. :)

Patsta
11-02-11, 00:52
Hi Lizzy,
I have been on sertraline, on and off for the past 9 years! Five days ago, I started taking it again (25mg) after having been of it for a year. The side effects on sertraline i have found to be minimal, with the worst being for me, the fuzzy head and a slight headache, (although that could be caffeine withdrawal!) I asked my pharmacist how long these side effects last for and she has told me usually about 2 weeks. Everyone reacts differently to different medication, so give it a go.
Quite often we worry about having to change or even taking medication, in turn that increases our anxiety. I know that everytime i go back on it, I get more anxious because I don't like taking it (I don't even like taking paracetemol at times!) But at the end of the day, I know its going to make me feel better and that in time I will be able to function normally!
Good Luck...and don't be scared, its just fuelling your anxiety...just embrace it for what it is, and give it time to work....

Lizzyg
12-02-11, 11:52
Thank you haz and Patsta for your comments!

I am terrified of medication which is all part of my anxiety. Sending my husband up the chemist to pick up the prescription and maybe I should give it a go.

Been signed of work for 6 weeks now and not getting any better so I know deep down I amy not beat this episode without help.

Will let you know how I get on ..

Patsta
12-02-11, 21:29
Wish you luck Lizzyg....just remember it all takes time, you may feel a little worse the first week or so, but it is completely normal....so perservere with it and their is light at the end of the tunnel. I am on day 7 now of taking sertraline, still feeling a little fuzzy, but no where near as bad.
Whats keeps me going is knowing that in afew more weeks, I will be back to my old self again...its a short time really in the context of things.
Good luck and keep us posted.

haz
12-02-11, 22:23
Yeah, Good Luck. Keep us posted. x

Lizzyg
14-02-11, 12:52
Well I took my first pill this morning after reading my valentines card from my husband. I think is is suffering as well as me as I am so bad at the moment :(

Very anxious at the moment but that is because I have taken a pill!!! I know it is so silly it isn't going to kill me but so hard to control the fear.

Trying to think of ways to keep busy. At least it is a sunny day will probably go for a long walk with the dogs!

OliveOil
14-02-11, 17:44
Lizzyg, I've been on it for over a month now. I still haven't upped my dosage, though I've contemplated and tried a couple days. I'm continuing on the 25mg with low to no side-effects, really. I do think it helps take the edge off for me.

Patsta
14-02-11, 20:10
Well done Lizzyg...try and keep yourself busy...I know with myself, if i get out in the garden, or read a book etc...it takes my mind of it and I don't feel anywhere near as anxious. I am on day 9 now, and most of the side effects have gone, apart from still feeling a little anxious, but I know that the meds haven't really kicked in yet, a few more weeks and I know I'll be feeling much better! Just persevere through it, you'll be good in no time!

Patsta
15-02-11, 09:48
I have to tell you, today I upped my dose to 50mg, was on 25mg for 8 days. I was a little anxious about doing that because of the side effects I felt in the first week of starting my meds again, but I must say, that today was one of my better days in the last 9! I'm sitting here, its 8.45pm and I feel almost normal! I've had a decent dinner, first in a long time (maybe thats not a good thing...the weight will go back on! lol) and am feeling quite calm. Whatever you do Lizzyg....stick it out.....you will have some bad days in the early stages, but you will come good again!

Lizzyg
15-02-11, 11:43
Well day 1 wasn't too bad.

Felt nauseous all day which was like being pregnant again. Very anxious in the evening but I am every evening anyway! Taking the diazepam as well just to take the edge off cause I know I am more anxious because I have taken a pill not the pill itself doing it to me.

Well taken 2nd one today now thinking of ways to keep busy today!

Patsta so glad you are feeling a bit better keep me posted with how you are doing its so good to talk to someone who understands!! xx

Lizzyg
16-02-11, 16:22
Well I'm on day 3 and don't feel too good.

Not sleeping well, nauseous, no appetite and more anxious. Get hot flushes and feel quite week and tired. Can these side effects kick in so quickly or is it my anxiety??

I am determined this time not to give up like I did with the prozac as it is not as bad.

Just taking it easy today no energy apart from nervouse energy!!

Patsta how are you doing???

Patsta
16-02-11, 19:50
Hey Lizzy g...hang in there...its just the side effects, for some reason they seem to kick in around day 3 more. I am now on day 11.... increased my dose to 50mg 2 days ago and only had a fuzzy head on the first day. Am feeling better each day, still getting a little anxious, but nothing that I can't cope with. I had exactly the same side effects as you, not sleeping well, loss of appetite and more anxious, but in a few more days that will subside, you will find you will sleep better, your anxiety will decrease, appetite may or may not increase, (mine is a little better, but not back to eating normally yet....which is a good thing...have lost 4 kilos YAY!)
Keep your mind active by reading books or doing puzzles, watching a show that you like on tv etc. Rest through the day, but try not to have a long nap, otherwise you could be up longer through the night! Maybe go for a walk, it may help.
Just remember its only going to get better from here!
Keep me posted!
Good luck

Patsta
17-02-11, 19:47
Hey Lizzyg, How are you going on your meds?

Lizzyg
18-02-11, 12:28
Not doing too good at the moment on day 5.

Nausea seems to have gone but I am sooooo tired. My legs feel really week. My Doc says not a bad thing and just try to sleep.

Got really bad headache today and had some hot flushes in the night.

Just feel generally unwell so staying in bed today and watching TV. Anxiety symptoms still high especially in the evening. I get the tight chest and feelings of unable to breath. I now go out in the garden at night for fresh air and practice the relaxation positions my psycotherapist has taught me. Good job the neighbours can't see me!!!

Pastata love reading your posts as it gives me some hope that the way I feel right now will pass. Everyone tells me it will but its hard to imagine at the moment as it has been so long :weep:

Please give me an update on how you are doing....:flowers:

Patsta
18-02-11, 22:04
Hi Lizzyg,
I'm doing a better....day 13 now, still feeling a little anxious, not as bad as the beginning. The headaches, tiredeness, shortness of breath and hot flushes are all part of the side effects and they will go soon, I had all of them too! Now I just have a little anxiety still! Its strange, because its there, and its like I'm waiting for it to hit full force, but it won't, so I'd say the beds are started to work. I still get a little shaky, I know that will go too, as I recall having it in the past when I started to take my meds. Yesterday, I took a xanax in the morning, I had to take my daughter for a post op check-up to the hospital, and was feeling a little edgy....felt much calmer in about 15 minutes, and was ok for the rest of the day. The last time I had started taking my meds again, I recall taking xanax everyday for about 2 weeks or more until my meds kicked in. This time, I've only taken it 3 times since I've started again, so I figure I'm learning to cope with it a little better and know that its not going to hurt me.
Sometimes we need to stay in bed and rest, but sometimes it also helps to move around a little more, it helps us forget about all the bad side effects. Last Sunday I felt quite bad, with the side effects, fuzzy head, headache, dizzy and shortness of breath. I spent the day outdoors, weeding the garden, mowing the lawn, washing the car etc...i was out there for about 4 hours and although I got tired, I felt much better afterwards and the side effects didn't seem as bad.
Keep up the good work Lizzyg, in no time you will start to feel better, just keep your mind active and try not to think about the side effects, (lol, easier said than done, I know) and never, ever give up!
Cheers
Patty

Lizzyg
20-02-11, 15:50
Well I have managed 7 days!

Nausea gone got my appetite back, just really really tired and getting a headache in the morning. Only getting the tremors in the evenings.

The side effects are not great but much better than the prozac.

I have spent the last 2 days mostly in bed because I am so tired. But seeing as I have hardly slept for 6 weeks not really surprised.

Up this afternoon and looking for something to do.

How are you patty?? Keep me posted with how you are getting on. How is your little daughter??

Patsta
20-02-11, 20:54
Hi Lizzyg
Its great to hear that you are doing better! The headaches will ease up, I got them early on too. I still get the tremors as well, but not as bad...its strange, I find its like an internal tremor...wierd feeling! I still get quite tired, but I try not to stay in bed for too long, as it seems to make me more lethargic and I really need to start living my life normally again to try ande combat this depressed state I'm in. I think part of my problem is that I am home all day, by myself after dropping kids off at school....and its not that I don't have enough to do, (7 of us in the house!)...I get a little overwhelmed at times and get sick of doing the same old things everyday, along with no adult conversation until 6pm when my husband gets home, and even then its not much as he is tired from work!
Anyway, my anxiety is not so bad now, its just a little niggling feeling that is there, but not...if that makes any sense!
My daughter is doing very well...its amazing how quickly kids recover from surgery...she had her tonsils and adenoids out, as she suffered from severe obstructive sleep apneoa...and is sleeping much better now!
Keep up the good work Lizzyg...not long to go now before you start feeling 100% again!
Cheers
Patty

Lizzyg
21-02-11, 15:49
Day 8 and upped my dose :(

Felt ok this morning almost normal had a bath and was really relaxed.

Took my usual 25mg and cut the other 25mg in half as was not brave enough to double the dose.

4 hours later feel terrible tremors all over my body, palpitations and hyperventlilating. Don't know if it is my anxiety as I upped my dose or because I've of the increase dose??? Taken a diazepam so hopefully will calm down soon. I am even typing at 100 mile an hour!!!

How are you today Patty. You sound to me like you got a house full to take care of ?? I've only got 2 kids although one has autism and that is enough for me. Glad the op went well for your daughter kids bounce back so quickly why can't we be like that??

I know what you mean about being on your own. I have been signed off work since christmas there is no way my mind can think at the moment and my job involves alot of decision making. I do get lonely and thoughts go round and round in my head. I have made a list of jobs I need to do round the house which I never get the chance to but have only ticked one off so far as have felt so unwell the last 7 days.

My husband is also getting fed up with doing everything at the moment and is getting quite grumpy! But feeling like this I am still so scared to even go to the shops! My head wants to but the body says no :weep:

Be glad to hear from you Patty and how you are getting on look forward everyday to reading your posts :flowers:

Patsta
21-02-11, 19:57
Hi Lizzyg,
I was the same when it came time to increase my dose! I got anxious about doing it, but in the end...the side effects weren't as bad! I only had a little bit of a fuzzy head on the day I increased them! The side effects don't seem to last as long when you up the dose, I think because the meds are already in your system!
You certainly have your hands full too with your son being autistic....it takes a special kind of person to be able to cope with that!
As for having your list of jobs...one step at a time. You should feel good about ticking one off...especially having done it over the last 7 days when you have felt crappy...its an achievement. I have a list of things in my head that I need to do, but haven't done much of it either...its hard when you feel so bad.
Anyway...each say I seem to be improving...its day 16 now....felt a little anxious yesterday, but had not had a good nights sleep the night before, so I was really tired all day...which I believe made me a little more anxious than what I've been feeling.
Woke up this morning feeling a little more anxious again....but I think thats because all the kids will be going to school today (had 2 at home yesterday) and I will be home by myself. Its funny....I used to love being home by myself...couldn't wait til everyone had headed of to work and school just so I could get some peace and quiet! I do have a fair bit of cleaning to do, so I will put the music up loud and go about doing it! Overall though Lizzyg...am feeling much better and you will too very soon!
Cheers
Patty

Lizzyg
22-02-11, 20:12
Well another day nearly over!

Actually felt ok this morning even bathed the dogs although they weren't too happy!

Take my medication at midday upped a liitle mit again and 2 hours later the tremors, palpitations and hyperventaltion set in.

Don't feel quite so tired so kept a bit busy.

Having a rest now and the usual physical symtoms have hit me full force think time for a diazepam.

So glad you are feeling better Patty and are keeping busy. So funny that we are both going through the same experience but on opposite sides of the world!

Keep going Patty and I will wait for the day you tell me I feel GREAT!

Liz xxxx

Patsta
22-02-11, 22:40
Well done Lizzyg....you are getting there! I think, when we keep ourselves busy....we don't think of our symptoms as much... the minute we stop is when it hits us! I am feeling better everyday, although the last 2 days, have felt a little anxious, but nothing that I can't cope with. At times I have thought of taking half a Xanax, just to calm me a little, but then I just tell myself that its nothing, that I'm ok and it will pass! It usually does! I'm glad you have the diazepam to take when you need to, it really does help in the early stages when we have all those horrible side effects! Over here doctors do notlike to prescribe tranquilisers as they say they can be addictive if used over a long period of time. My doctor on the other hand is fantastic and says that it is a great med and should be taken if you need it! He also says that if it was put in the worlds water supply, there would be no wars an alot more peace on earth! lol...I agree with him!
Just remember that you willhave good and bad days....but its not too far away now, that you will start to feel alot better!
Take care....speak soon!

Patsta
24-02-11, 19:34
Hi Lizzyg....how are you doing? I hope you are starting to feel better!
I am getting a little stronger each day...all the side effects are gone....and yesterday I had my first anxiety free day since I started my meds! YAY!
Let me know how you are going!
Patty

Lizzyg
26-02-11, 18:59
Hi Patty
I am sooo pleased for you an anxiety free day I can't imagine what that must be like!!!!
I have been staying down my mums the last 3 days no internet there. Doubled my dose now up to 50mg and am feeling lots of physical effects at the moment. shakiness nausea again and hyperventilation.
Very stressful at home kids are off for half term and lots of arguments between my husband and 15 yr old daughter with me in the middle. So went and had a break and she looked after me which was lovely.
I had my haircut yesterday first time since November mum came with me felt anxious the whole time but did it and was so pleased. I wouldn't even of considered that a week ago!
On day 13 now of Sertraline so hoping I will feel a positive effect soon. At least I am sleeping I could sleep all day and all night!
Again I am soo pleased you had a good day love hearing positive things!
Take Care xxxxx

Patsta
26-02-11, 22:07
Hi Lizzyg,
Its great that you have taken some time off and have your mum to look after you! Sometimes, we need someone to look after us instead of us doing all the looking after all the time, regardless of how well or not we feel! The side effects of increading your dose won't last as long as when you first started taking your meds as its already in your system and just needs to adjust a little. You will find you start to feel better over the next few days....you will still have good and bad days, but the bad days won't be as bad! Well done for getting out and having your haircut...it a step forward!
I am on day 21 now ( I think!) and feeling a little stronger each day...I still get a little anxious at times, but its decreasing each day and some days I even have an anxiety free day! You are not far off from that Lizzyg...keep up the great work...in no time at all you will be saying "I feel great!"
Take care
Patty

Lizzyg
27-02-11, 20:03
Hi Patty
Day 14 today and its the fist time I have felt almost normal! Anxiety still bubbling under the surface but have gone all day so far without having to lie down just to calm myself down.
It is starting to bubble up again now so going upstairs in mo to practice my meditation my psycotherapist taught me.
It really is a start but am too scared to say I feel a bit better in case it all goes down hill again!
How are you doing?? Kids back at scool tomorrow so on my own again but at the moment dont feel too bothered.
Hope that you are still feeling better.
Take Care
Liz xxxx

Patsta
27-02-11, 20:12
Hi Liz,
That is fantastic news...I am so happy for you! Its great when you start to feel better and almost normal....I've been having more and more of these days lately! Like you, anxiety is still there a little, but easy to cope with as its not consuming me like before....yes we will still have bad days, but more good than bad from now on!
Keep up the good work and keep taking care of yourself!
Cheers
Patty:hugs:

bajope
28-02-11, 00:45
Hi Liz and Patty~

I hope you girls don't mind me joining your posts. I was just prescribed Zoloft for anxiety and depression and am SOOOO SCARED to take it. I have read WAY to much about the side effects and completely freaked myself out. Unfortunatley, I'm not functioning very well right now. I wake up daily with that doom and gloom feeling/dread of facing the day. Then I spend alot of my day pacing about worrying about how I feel. It's awful :weep: Now on top of the anxiety I've developed pretty intense depression. I look at myself and don't even know who I am anymore. Also, when my anxiety started, I developed a crazy/scary thought about the universe going on and on forever and it's stuck in my head and scares the daylights out of me. I don't know if either of you experienced the crazy thought symptom but it's terrible!

Patty, I know you said you experienced dizziness as a side effect. Can you tell me, was it like spinning or more like an off balance feeling? I'm scared of being dizzy. Also, can each of you tell me what your worst side effect was and how you dealt with it?

My husband has left to pick up my perscription. I hope I have the courage to take it.

Sorry for such a long post.

Blessings,
Jackie

Patsta
28-02-11, 05:23
Hi Jackie,
I too have crazy thoughts...i think its just part and parcel of anxiety! I know on many occassions I've sat there looking into the sky and wondering...we know only so much of our universe, but what is beyond that...it can't just stop somewhere and then nothing...it just doens't make sense! lol...yep been there done that! ts funny how our minds work!
Anyway as for the Zoloft....I think its marvelous! I've been on and off it for 9 years...and once it kicks in...its fantastic. The side effects are not so great, but everyone is different, you may find its not so bad for you. I had a fuzzy head...more like being a little off balance, not like my head is spinning...a couple of days of headaches, tiredness...increased anxiety and depression...and agitation. I found day 3 being the worst, after that the side effects started to ease up. I increased my dose from 25mg to 50mg on day 10 (I think) and apart from the first day of feeling a little fuzzy, the side effects weren't so bad! I've now been on them 3 weeks and feeling heaps better...still get a little anxiety, but I can cope with it, and its only a matter of time before I won't get it at all.
As for coping with the side effects, you just have to do what your body wants. I found that if i kept active, I didn't think about it as much and felt better. Having said that, there were days when I was really tired and just rested as much as I could, but i tried not to sleep through the day in the first few days, because insomnia can be another side effect! (but only for afew days!) My doctor has also prescribed me xanax to help with the side effects and anxiety until my meds started to work. Its wonderful stuff, takes all the anxiety away in about 15 minutes! (but can be addictive, so you only take it when you need it!)
I don't know what else I can tell you Jackie, except...be strong...persevere....it will be a tough first few days, but it is so worth it in the end...just to get back your quality of life!
Keep us posted and let us know how you are going....we will support and help you through it!
Good Luck and take care

Lizzyg
28-02-11, 12:46
Hi Jackie
I too have experienced intense anxiety and then depression since Christmas. I havn't worked since Christmas and was just 'scared and nervous' all the time.
I could have just stayed in bed all day didn't care about anything.
Tried Prozac and Anafril and had very nasty reactions to both the side effects unbearable which just fed my fear and anxiety. I was determined I was not going to take another pill again.
Doctor prescribed sertraline and it took me a week to take it. What prompted me in the end was my husbands valentines card! I really was a 'lost' soul which was upsetting him and the children.
I am really glad I took it now. I started on 25mg and had nausea (like being pregnant again!) then got internal tremors, extreme tiredness and agitation and hperventalation (but then I had those anyway!). I spent 2 days in bed and had several naps during the day on the other days. I upped the dose on day 10 to 50mg which I did gradually over 2 days.
Day 15 now and feel so much better. All side effects are gone apart from the tiredness which isn't bad cause I sleep all night. I hadn't slept really since christmas.
My mind is clear no racing thoughts in fact I am thinking of things I want to do!
Saw my Doc this morning she is so pleased with me and said I should feel even better in the next couple of weeks.
Give it try I know exactly how you feel as I was so scared to put that pill in my mouth but now so glad I did. Just take each day as it comes and if you need to rest then rest!
I have also kept a Sertraline diary so I can look back and see how I felt at the start and how I feel now because you do forget!
Also Patty is ahead of me and she gave me the inspiration to keep going on the bad days because I knew there could be a light at the end of the tunnel and I didn't have to feel so bad and 'stuck'.
Good luck Jackie and keep us posted everyday with how you are doing we will give you all the support and encouragement you need as we know exactly how you feel!
Take care
Liz xxxx

bajope
01-03-11, 22:11
Hi girls,

Well, through much tears and prayer, I took my first dose about an hour and 15 min ago (25mg).

My husband ended up having to stay home today because I had such a bad morning. I feel like no one has ever been as bad as I am now :weep: I soo hope this helps me.

Thanks for the encouragement,
Jackie

bajope
02-03-11, 00:24
So...I'm feeling what I would call unstable on my feet...not like spin dizzy, just not stable. Hope this doesn't last a long time :(

bajope
02-03-11, 07:10
It's 11:15 PM. I'm wide awake. Feel like I'm on the verge of a panic attack and kind of have that depersonalization feeling...:weep:

Lizzyg
02-03-11, 13:16
Hi Jackie

I really think that is the anxiety rather than the pill. I was like that its because you have put a pill in your body you are not sure about and then you become more anxious than ever! 25mg really is a tiny dose my cousin at the moment is on 150mg. She has taken them for 7 years and really thinks she would not be here today if it wasn't for the pills.

You will be alright you have got to be strong and brave and get through the next couple of weeks.

I kept a diary so now I can look back and see how I have improved. I also have a psycotherapist who has taught me some great relaxation techniques. Are you seeing someone?

It is tough but it is worth it you will be ok!!!

Liz xxxxx

Patsta
03-03-11, 05:17
Hi Jackie....I have to agree with Liz about our anxiety increasing when we take a pill. I too have felt like that when first starting my meds....its only natural to feel like that.
All I can say to you, is PERSERVERE! You will feel much better in a week or so, just remember that what you are feeling now is just the side effects, not pleasant, but its not going to harm you in any way. Try and rest when you can, but also keep active, as this helps to take your mind off it too!
You will get through it...in a just a short time you will feeling so much better.
Good luck and take care.
Keep us posted!

bajope
03-03-11, 23:12
Hi Liz and Pat....

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I'm really having a hard time. Liz, I know that you said you were afraid to take meds but I bet you're no where near as bad as me. Today was day three. I didn't want to take it because I kept thinking "This is going to damage my brain." I did take it, but my anxiety is through the roof. Shaking hands, pumping heart, sweating and I can't even think straight. And then when I read Pat's comment that side effects usually kick up on day 3, of course I'm just waiting for them to hit. I hate all this :weep: My anxiety is so high that it's hard for me to keep busy and concentrate on anything. I just keep pacing :weep: Hope I can hold on. I want to quit. I have a huge need to be in control and with meds inside my body, I feel like I've lost my control. Don't know if that makes sense to you.

Anyway...thanks again for being willing to listen

Blessings,
Jackie

Patsta
04-03-11, 20:40
Hi Jackie,
It absolutely makes sense...I was exactly the same, in feeling that I had no control....but please please please believe me, it will get better. I recall doing the same as you, pacing etc. Try to keep a llittle active....if the weather is nice, try going for a short walk or get out in the garden...I found that helped me a little. Also try and rest, maybe read a good book or do some crossword puzzles to help take your mind off it. Liz and I have both been in your shoes, only afew days ago, so we do know how you are feeling. We can both tell you that you are on the way to feeling better, just a little more perserverence and in a few short days, those nasty side effects will start to wear off and you will start to get some control back. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP....DON'T QUIT....DON'T LET THIS THING DEFEAT YOU!
If you can, go and speak with your doctor. My doctor ahd prescribed me some Xanax to help with the anxiety and side effects in the beginning....I would take one as I needed and it really did help within about 15 minutes I was alot calmer. I know Liz had diazepam, which I believe works in the same way....see if your doctor can prescribe something like that for you as it does help until your beds kick in.
You will be ok Jackie....we are here for you and will guide and support you through it!
Take care and keep posting!

Patsta
04-03-11, 20:42
*sorry....until your meds kick in!

sandra1968
04-03-11, 21:31
Thank you haz and Patsta for your comments!

I am terrified of medication which is all part of my anxiety. Sending my husband up the chemist to pick up the prescription and maybe I should give it a go.

Been signed of work for 6 weeks now and not getting any better so I know deep down I amy not beat this episode without help.

Will let you know how I get on ..

Hi, ive been on Sertraline on and off for two years now. Started having panic attacks and was so scared i would have tried anything to stop them ! Ive had no problems with them, I take 100 mg per day (half the dose I was on at first) Ive just changed my GP and the possibility of CBT was discussed so Im now considering that. As a single mother of two great kids I need to work so I will see whats involved

bajope
04-03-11, 23:45
Hi Patty~

Well, today is day 4. Yuck!!! I guess I just don't like the way the meds make me feel. I feel "medicated." It may all be in my head, but it's still there. I have trouble controlling my thoughts and scare the daylights out of myself. This morning I woke up and thought "O my gosh~ what if these meds make me go out of control and and I hurt Bailey (my daughter). Then I dwell on it and freak myself out. It's like everyday I have a new thought about the meds that scares me :weep: I do have klonopin that I can take for the anxiety. I take it occassionally but it also makes me feel very sedated which I hate as well. I'm just really struggling with the whole medication thing. I feel like I'm always going to feel "medicated" and never feel normal or like me again. How will I not feel medicated when I'm on medication? I also am crying alot and just feel sad. But thats probably normal early on like this, right?

Blessings, :hugs:
Jackie

Lizzyg
05-03-11, 12:31
Hi Jackie

Sounds like you are really struggling! I was exactly the same as you the first week. I thought the pills were going to do something really bad to me and mess with my brain.

I am now on day 20 and I feel so much better. All the side effects are gone and I dont think twice about swallowing the pill!

My mind is so calm and I have this general feeling of not caring it is actually quite nice after so a a long period of feeeling so anxious.

I have even started doing small trips in my car I havnt driven since before christmas.

You must persevere!! I too wanted to give up but Patty's post kept me going and I am so glad I did. I havn't even got the full effects yet.

You must be brave and strong and tick each day off and you will feel better. You will wake up one morning and instead of being anxious, scared and frightened you'll be thinking what 'what shall I do today??'.

You will be fine hang in there and keep us posted :flowers:

bajope
05-03-11, 20:10
Thanks Liz. In my mind I keep thinking the meds are making me worse. Did you ever feel like that? I woke this morning in a horrible panic. Been pacing ever since. Feel like I'm losing my mind :weep: I feel more anxious. The pharmacist said I should not be feeling more anxious. What mg are you taking? I'm currently on 25mg. It's obviously not doing anything. It scares me to think I might have to take more.

Patsta
05-03-11, 21:25
Jackie,
Its all very normal to feel the way you are! I was the same and felt just like you, medicated, which did scare me and the whole thought process went through my mind daily! You won't lose control....and I know you are struggling...as I did also, but you are on the way to recovery. I also cried alot and felt really depressed....I believe thats all part of the side effects, mixed with our anxiety and us feeling sorry for ourselves. Believe me, what you are going through...I did too! But you need to trust me when I say, you will start to feel better soon! You will wake up one morning and say 'I feel good today!' Each day will get a little easier...one step at a time.
You are doing well Jackie....just don't give up....you are nearly there. Just remember that I and many others have been there....and we have survived it....I know it seems a long way away, (I did too!)...but I'm here now, day 28....and feeling really good!
As for feeling medicated....you are right...its is normal early on, its just the side effects...it will wear off and you won't feel like that anymore.
You are doing well Jackie...keep it up and keep posting!
We are all here for you!
Take care

Patsta
05-03-11, 21:33
Thanks Liz. In my mind I keep thinking the meds are making me worse. Did you ever feel like that? I woke this morning in a horrible panic. Been pacing ever since. Feel like I'm losing my mind :weep: I feel more anxious. The pharmacist said I should not be feeling more anxious. What mg are you taking? I'm currently on 25mg. It's obviously not doing anything. It scares me to think I might have to take more.

Jackie, its the side effects of the meds making you feel worse. One of the side effects is increased anxiety and the pharmacist should know that!
What you are feeling is normal...do not be discouraged! It takes a little while for the meds to actually start working...give it time and you will see.
Both Liz and I started on 25mg and increased our dose to 50mg. I increased it on day 10 ( I think) and felt ok, side effects were not so bad and only really lasted a day as the meds were already in my system.
You are ok....and what you are feeling is normal...and you will be ok!
You won't lose your mind or lose control!
Keep posting....
Patty:flowers:

bajope
06-03-11, 00:36
Hi Pat~
Thank you so much for your encouragement. One of the things that is really getting to me is my stuck/scary thought. I think I mentioned that I had the thought about the universe just going on and on. The first time I had that thought, I got a rush of adrenalin and now everytime I think of it, which is often, I get a fear response. It's making it hard for me to go outside. And even inside is a struggle. Feels like this anxiety is just overtaking me. I REALLY hope the Zoloft works to get me back to some kind of normalcy.

Blessings,
Jackie

Patsta
06-03-11, 02:47
Hi Jackie,
It definately will work to get you back to normality....you may still think about things, but you won't have the anxiety that comes with it. I have experienced the same thing with scary thoughts...and that has been about death. My sister-in-laws father got really sick about 6 weeks ago...he was diagnosed with cancer, and passed away a week ago....that triggered me off....not that I was close to him by any means, but just thinking about my own parents, children etc....and then the thought...."what happens after we die?" It really did my head in...but 4 weeks into the Zoloft now...I am feeling good, yes...I still have those thoughts, but they are not consuming me! I know the Zoloft still hasn't kicked in completely...but I would say I am 80% there. The Zoloft will work for you...I have been there many times...on and off for 9 years...and everytime within a couple of weeks I start to feel good again and wonder what all the fuss was about! You will be like that too...just wait and see!
Cheers
Patty

bajope
06-03-11, 03:31
Hi Patty~

It's been an awful day. Full of anxiety and fear. I didn't take my meds till 2:30 PM and it's going on 7:30 PM here and I'm thinking I'm probably going to be up all night. I appreciate you and Liz so much ~ just for being here and being willing to listen. I'm at the point to calling my doctor to tell her I can't handle the Zoloft. I feel so dang anxious!!! It seems like it's much worse than when I started although it feels somewhat different than the anxiety that I normally feel. IDK ~ it's all so confusing. I was pretty much non functional before I started the zoloft and feel like I'm worse now than when I started. I'm sure I'm super sensitive to the medication as I NEVER have taken any kind of medication for anything. So this is really throwing me for a loop. So you started out not feeling normal and feel 80% normal now???

I wish you lived in the US so we could chat by phone :) Right now, I keep checking this forum to see if you or Liz have responded because I need to much reassurance right now. Did you ever feel like you would never be normal again? Thats how I'm feeling right now.

Blessings,
Jackie

Lizzyg
06-03-11, 11:23
Hi Jackie

I really do feel for you, I too went through 2 weeks of when my anxiety went through the roof. My main symptom is hperventilation so I was convinced there was not enough air in the world for me! This symptom as well got worse for the first 2 weeks and I would sit outside in the dark in the evenings sometimes in the rain for long periods of time just so I could 'breathe'. I'm just glad the neighbours couldn't see me. If you look at my earlier posts you will see I sounded just like you! I lost my dad suddenly 4 years ago a complete shock for all of us and I for 4 years would run through each member of my family dying and would plan their funerals, it was exhausting!

I am now on day 21 and do not have any of thoughts and the hyperventilation is under control. I don't sit outside anymore!

I did take diazepam 2 times a day for the 1st 2 weeks, has your doctor prescribed anything else, as this did take the edge off things.

I too started on 25mg and increased to 50mg on day 10. I did this gradually over 3 days cutting up the pills. The nausea came back for 2 days and then I was fine. Day 15 all side effects disappeared.

Keep going you will be ok it is the pills making you more anxious but it will start to reduce. You must be brave and strong and get through the first 2 weeks!

I still feel will I ever be 'normal' again as I havn't worked since christmas and am still not up to that. But I know it takes time. It took time to get to the state I was in and it will take time to get out of it! But each day is a little better.

Keep a diary and then you will be able to look back and see how much better you will feel in a few weeks time.

Sorry my post is so long but I want you to know that understand totally how you feel and I know Patty went through the same.

Keep going and I'm sending you lots of hugs xxxx :hugs:

PS. Wish I lived in the US too!!!!

Patsta
06-03-11, 20:15
Hi Jackie,
We will always be here to listen to you and help you through this, after all, we are all in the same boat!
I understand what you mean about your anxiety feeling somewhat different now that you are on your meds....I felt that way too, and it is a sign that the meds are working and getting into your system. I always found that day 3 was the worst for me, but after that the side effects slowly started easing up....you are doing so well and what you are feeling is normal.
Its actually a little different for me this time round when I started my meds. I was ok, but would have bouts of anxiety, that slowly increased in fequency....having been there before and knowing what lay ahead for me if I didn't get it under control, I started taking my meds again...and then it hit me full force. It was obviously the side effects that made it all worse in the beggining, because I wasn't so bad when I started them. As for feeling normal again...YES, you will feel normal again!
Nine years ago when I first started suffering from anxiety, after my marriage fell apart ( a life of lies and betrayal!) I never believed that I would ever feel normal again! I was in such a state...I refused to take medication, thinking that I could beat this on my own, but it wasn't to be! I moved in with my parents, (my boys were only 4 and 5 at the time) because I needed help to get through it...I started taking Zoloft, quite sceptical that they would do any good, but they did! It wasn't long before I was back to my old self, and having so much fun! Since then, I have been on and off the Zoloft numerous times. Its always the same in the beginning...sometimes I think the side effects are worse, but its just that I can't remember what they work like in the first place!
So your answer....YOU WILL FEEL NORMAL AGAIN....JUST WAIT AND SEE...ITS NOT TO FAR AWAY!
Just perservere with it....just a little longer and you will feel so much better Jackie...Liz and I are both living proof of that!
Take care.....and keep posting

bajope
06-03-11, 21:37
Patty, did you have a hard time with withdrawal when you stopped each time? I've heard and read that the withdrawal is horrible. Just something else to be afraid of. So, it's actually possible to feel normal while your taking meds? I keep thinking that I'm going to feel weird like this all the time. I feel weird in my head. It's hard to describe. Even my vision feels weird. Everything feels weird. My hands are super shakey and I still feel depressed and anxious. My doctor prescribed 25mg. and told me to follow up in a month. Seems like 25mg is doing absolutely nothing except make me feel worse. This is the toughest thing I have ever done.

Patsta
07-03-11, 01:35
Jackie, I had no problems with withdrawal at any time. I would always do it gradually, but without even realising...because I would get to the point where I would forget to take my meds everyday, so it would be every second day, or third day...sometimes I would only take them once a week...and then I'd figure that I didn't need them anymore and would just stop all together with no side effects!
You are definately not going to feel weird all the time....feeling shaky is a side effect, so is the depression and anxiety, but trust me....it will subside and you will start to feel good again! YOU WILL BE OK JACKIE! Keep posting....we are here to support you 100%

bajope
08-03-11, 02:17
I stopped taking the zoloft after my dose on Saturday afternoon and now feel like I made a mistake. I felt awful when taking it but feel just as worse now but in a different way. Everytime I take the Zoloft, I panic so I feel like I'm stopping any benefit that I may get by it. SOOO confused :weep::weep::weep:

Lizzyg
08-03-11, 12:54
~Oh Jackie
So sorry to here you felt you could not take the pills anymore. As you can see from my earlier posts I felt awful too.

I did try prozac and lasted a week on that. It made my anxiety and panic go through the rook. I couldn't sit, sleep, eat, breath or function at all. I was walking round the block with the dogs at all hours of the night it was just awful my whole body was just totally overstimulated but then prozac is a very stimulating drug. I was also haveing panic attack one after the other felt like I had totally lost control of the fear. :wacko:

When I started the sertraline I did have increased anxiety mentally and physically but it was bearable. I have not had an actually panic attack since I started.
Some days I did want to stop I as felt I was putting poison in my body but my husband would stand over me with the tablet and glass of water and make me take it. He could see that the side effects on these were more bearable than the prozac.

Mind you I would still spend my evenings sat in the garden just trying to breath, I got more depressed, cried all the time, felt hopeless, useless, had internal tremors everyday for two weeks and did not want to see anyone or do anything.

Three weeks on I feel like a different person. I would say 70% there I have even started driving which would have been unthinkable 3 weeks ago.

If the side effects are completely unbearable go back and see your doctor and try another SSRI if not persevere as from what you have described it sounds like normal side effects but without actually seeing you it is difficult to tell. :unsure:

Don't just give up Jackie it can take a while to find the right drug for you. Is it your first experience of AD's?

I am thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs :hugs:

Patsta
08-03-11, 19:43
Jackie,
I too, felt really awful, pretty much everything you have described, but, it is normal, and panicking over taking the tablet is something that we all go through as well. I know just the thought of taking it would cause my anxiety to soar sky high, but it was temporary, and once the side effects started to wear off, i could see the benefits of it. Please don't give up...you haven't given your meds enough time to work....they do take time...and looking at the big picture as a whole, its not alot of time, considering how long we have suffered with our anxiety.
Please go back and see your doctor for some advice...like Liz said...maybe you need to try something esle. I too was on prozac in the beginning, but lasted less than Liz did on it (4 days) as I had the same effects as Liz mentioned. When I started the Zoloft, I was the same as you, but it did work in the end and I'm so glad I stuck it out. I have been on it for just over 4 weeks now, and I know it hasn't taken full effect yet, but I am feeling so much better....I am able to function normally and do all the things I used to without hesitation.
Please Jackie, don't give in to this....it will work...you need to give it time!
Good luck and take care.....keep posting and let us know how you are going!
:flowers:

bajope
08-03-11, 21:45
Hi Liz and Patty~

Thanks again for the support. I'm going to see a psychiatrist this afternoon to talk about the medication. That in and of itself is causing me a great deal of stress. Something about talking to a "psychiatrist" makes me feel crazy. And right now I don't even want to leave my house. I have to literally force myself to do anything. Pretty much all I do is pace back and forth in my bedroom and worry about how bad I feel and that I'm going crazy :weep: So, please bear with me if I've already asked these questions or you've already answered them...

I know you feel medicated and weird when you first start the med, but does that feeling wear off or do you always feel that you are "on" something?

I've been really isolated in my bedroom for almost 2 months and feel very disconnected from even my family. Did either of you struggle with this and has the med help you reintegrate with your family/society?

When I take the med, as it begins to build up in my system, I start thinking that the med is going to overtake me, make me feel out of control and I won't be myself. I guess I've read to much about people feeling like zombies and having to emotions. I'm very fearful of not feeling like "me". Any comments on this one??

I'm not really fuctional now, but I least I know it's "me" and not the meds. Does that make sense? It's like I'm afraid to take the med and afraid not to take it.

Thanks again for being willing to encourage me. You two have no idea how much I appreciate you!

bajope
08-03-11, 21:48
PS to the above post ~

It's not even that the side effects were that bad. I'm just really fearful of anything that makes me feel weird or off ~ not like me. Its the sedated/medicated feeling that freakes me out.

FaithInHim
08-03-11, 22:22
I felt just like you back in the fall. I read these boards daily, but never registered until just now. I felt like I needed to comment. I started sertaline around Christmas. It made me feel very strange for a long time, but I kept taking it. In fact, I went back down to 1/2 dose (25) after a few weeks and this seemed to help. I also had to take xanax three times a day for MANY weeks. Right now I'm at 10 weeks on sertaline and I'm off xanax. I am trying to increase back to a 50 mg dose by taking a whole pill one day and 1/2 pill the next day.
I don't feel sedated or medicated, but I still do have some anxiety that I would like to be rid of.
I hope this helps and that your appointment went well. I have to say that I didn't like the idea of seeing the psychiatrist either, but it had to be done.
Blessings!

bajope
08-03-11, 22:35
FaithInHim~

Just wanted to ask ~ looking at your user name and that you wrote blessings ~ Are you a believer?

Where abouts in the US do you live?

Blessings,
Jackie

FaithInHim
08-03-11, 22:41
Yes!!!! I've never prayed so hard in all my life. Also, had so many family and friends praying for me. I have always been a believer, but my faith grew even more through what I experienced. I live in Texas.

bajope
08-03-11, 23:03
Wow! I'm crying. I wanted so much to have another believer to share with. I live in California. What would you think of communicating thru email or by phone? I would love to have someone to share and pray with that understands. If you prefer just to communicate on this board thats totally fine too. Let me know what you think. BTW, are you comfortable sharing your name so I can pray for you by name?

Blessings,
Jackie

FaithInHim
09-03-11, 01:26
Jackie,
I sent you a private message. Let me know if you got it.

bajope
09-03-11, 02:16
Yes, I did. Thanks so much :) I sent you a reply but think it got lost when I hit send. Did you get mine? It was really long :blush:

Patsta
09-03-11, 02:50
Hi Jackie,
Please don't apologise for asking questions....I too, was the same when I first started suffering with anxiety and taking meds. I understand how you feel. The medicated feeling you describe is the side effects of the meds, and yes they will wear off. You won't always feel medicated...in fact after a couple of weeks you won't even remember your taking them, like I have done in the past and have forgotten to take them for days on end.....trust me! As for reintegrating with your family and society, you will get there, its just one step at a a time and do what feels comfortable.
Having suffered with this for 9 years now, on and off, I don't let it stop me from doing things anymore. If I'm having a bad day, I still do what I have to, eg. take kids to school, run errands, shopping, go to work, etc. I've realised over the years, its not going to hurt me, its just a thought and eventually I'll get through it. I too, was fearful of how the meds made me feel, not me...weird...etc, but that does subside and eventually you have no side effects.
You shouldn't feel bad about seeing a psychiatrist...I did in the early stages, and I embraced it...it was something that was going to help me! Don't be scared of it!'
I too, like FaithinHim took Xanax and found it wonderful...it really took the edge of everything, and I remember taking it the first time, very fearful off it, my anxiety soared, but within about 15 minutes, I was calmer than I'd ever been....it was fantastic!
Jackie, don't give up! We are here for you!

bajope
09-03-11, 03:11
Well, I went to the Psychiatrist today. She was really nice and made me feel very comfortable. She did not try to push meds on me but said she really recommended them especially since I'm not functioning well. One thing she tried to tell me though is that the right SSRI should not make me feel weird. I told her that pretty much everyone I knew that was on it didn't feel "right" for a least a few weeks. She suggusted that I try another SSRI but I told her if I was going to take anything it would be the Zoloft. She explained the whole seratonin in the brain thing, which I get. It's my own fear that I have to get over. I've read alot of people say that Zoloft deadens their emotions. I asked her about that and she said that some people report that and if that happened to me, we need to switch SSRI's. I'm not really into med hopping. She said it's like dating...you have to keep going till you find the right one. UGH! She ordered a 12 hour fasting blood test that I need to have done in the morning. Don't think it will show anything but at least I'll know for sure. I pretty much know that I'm gonna have to just bite the bullet and take the meds...

Oh, she also told me that if you need to increase your dose, it should be an easy transition with no new side effects. Based on what I've read, that doesn't sound right.

Thanks for your unending patience with me. You girls are amazing. :hugs:

Blessings,
Jackie

Lizzyg
09-03-11, 11:41
Hi Jackie
So glad you went to see your psychiatrist and that it went well for you.

I have suffered this particular episode of intense anxiety/depression since Christmas. Everyday I became more withdrawn from my family and friends. February is a blur I spent most of it in my bedroom as I felt safe there. I did not look after my children and didn't even care. One weekend I locked the door I woulld not let anyone in which really worried my husband and mother. Life was too hard I just wanted to stay in my bed. I hated the anxiety and all its symptoms I felt when I tried to leave the room let alone the house!

23 days into Sertraline and everything is so different. I feel like me again I dont feel wierd and I have all my emotions, I can laugh but I dont cry all the time anymore. My mind feels it has a sense of calm which is lovely after it racing around all the time. I am now able to listen to my psychotherapist and practice what she is telling me to do.

The anxiety has not completely gone as I do feel anxious doing things I used to do. My sisters birthday on Fri and Mum wants to take us for a meal still not sure if I can go worried so much but I dont want to let them down. Havn't been to a restaurant since December. My friend wants to take me out for a coffee scared at that but my mind wants to do it just got to get over the anxiety. At some point I must go back to work as been signed off since christmas. That is my ultimate goal!

I hope this helps. I said before I felt just like you and without my husband making me take the pills and reading Patty's encouraging posts I probably would have stopped.

Keep going Jackie we are here for you and ask as many questions as you want you will get there.

Lots og big hugs
Liz:bighug1:

Patsta
09-03-11, 19:40
Hi Jackie,
Well done for seeing your psychiatrist! Sometimes we need that extra reassurance from a medical professional that we are ok. I, like Liz, am feeling much better, on day 31 now, and also have all my emotions back, but alot calmer. I certainly don't feel weird anymore either. I know your psychiatrist said that you shouldn't feel weird on your meds, but I don't totally agree with that! There may be afew people (very few) that don't get any side effects, but in most cases and as I'm sure you have read on here, most people do get the side effects and it is completely normal. Having said that, they do go away and you are left feeling normal again! It just takes a little time. Increasing your dose will not give you any new side effects, and because your body has already adjusted to the meds, any side effects will be minimal. When I increased my meds on day 10, all I had was a little bit of a fuzzy head, and not even for the whole day.
As for getting over our own fears....that is our battle and what fuels our anxiety. You will get there Jackie, I have faith in you...just a little perserverence and you will start to feel good again.
Good luck and take care...keep posting and asking questions...we are here for you!

bajope
09-03-11, 22:03
Patty & Liz ~

You are still having anxiety on the Zoloft? It doesn't take the anxiety completely away? I'm feeling very depressed and anxious at the moment. I'm sure the indecision about the meds is not helping.

Patsta
10-03-11, 04:51
Hi Jackie,
Yes, I still get a little anxiety, but it is early days still, it is only a little bit...nothing like in the beginning, and nothing that stops me from doing anything! I know from past experience, once the meds fully kick in, I won't have any anxiety at all. We quite often get depressed because we can't quite understand what is happening to us. We don't know why we are feeling the way we are, and why we can't do the things we used to....that in turn increases our anxiety, as well as the thought of being on meds....I felt exactly the same way Jackie...its not just you....its part and parcel of the anxiety. Are you back on the meds again?

bajope
10-03-11, 20:37
No, not taking the meds yet. So many what if's. And the not wanting to feel worse before I feel better. That is really hard for me to get past. And then there is no guarnatee it will work. Even on this forum, I read about people who have been taking the Zoloft for 9/10 weeks and still don't feel great. It scares me :weep: UGH!!!!!

bajope
10-03-11, 22:53
Hi Liz...Is it correct that you had some trouble going out at first? If so, did you feel like you might be becoming agoraphobic? That's how I feel and it's scaring me to death. I don't want to drive or go into stores or anything. And that is totally not me. Before I stopped working when all this got really bad a few months ago, I was self employed and driving for my business up to 300 miles a week. I feel like I've totally lost myself. I'm not afraid of having a panic attack while out as I don't really have them. It's more my thought about the earth hanging out in the middle of space and the universe going on and on. I try to tell myself that the thought is just a symptom of my anxiety, but I still don't cope with it very well. Also, the way I physically and mentally feel from the anxiety and depression makes me not want to go anywhere or do anything as well. So I'm not really sure which is effecting me more, the thought or the way I feel.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, did the meds help with you wanting to go out and drive, etc? Did you not want to drive because you were afraid of having a panic attack? Like I said, I don't really get panic attacks (thank God). I've only had a few. Mine is more constant high anxiety that is with me all day.

Thanks for being so patient with all my questions :hugs:

Blessings,
Jackie

Patsta
11-03-11, 00:00
Hi Jackie,
Most people who have been on Zoloft for 9/10 weeks and not feeling great, are actually feeling alot better than when they firts started the meds. There are very few that don't get the desired result by that time, and if they don't...it just usally means that their bodies need a little more time to adjust or that it doesn't suit them.
When I first started suffering from anxiety 9 years ago, I could not get in the car and drive...I did not want to go out...all I wanted to do was curl up in bed and do nothing. After starting the meds...I slowly started doing things again...the first few times I went out, my mum or dad came with me...after a couple of weeks, I just bit the bullet and pushed myself to do things on my own, like I had always done in the past. It was an achievement everytime I did something on my own, and I started realising that I could do anything, if I just pushed myself a little. I couldn't give in to it....I had 2 young boys and recently separated, so I had no choice but to get myself better for them. Once the meds kicked in and started working, I felt great and had no problem with coping with anything. Yes...I felt worse in the beginning, but then again, I felt like crap all the time anyway...so I knew the meds were not going to do any harm...and if they made me feel better...then that was a bonus!
Jackie, don't let this thing beat you...you need to fight back....and speaking honestly here....I know its daunting, but I would take the meds....you only need to read back at Liz's and my posts to see that we too, were where you are now, and afew weeks later, we are much better. Its hard...yes...the side effects are horrible...yes...but they are short term....and just think of what you have to gain....your life back!
Good luck Jackie...keep posting:hugs:

bajope
11-03-11, 18:40
Started back on the Zoloft today. Feeling very scared and nervous :weep:

bajope
11-03-11, 20:14
Hi Patty and Liz~

I need a favor. If possible, over the next few days, can you check the forum a little more often than usual in case I need some encouragement? I understand it's the weekend and you may have alot going on. So whatever you can do, I'd really appreciate it.

So sorry for the hand holding. I'll find a way to repay you girls somehow...I promise :hugs:

Patsta
11-03-11, 21:45
Hi Jackie,
I'm glad you are back on the meds....and I will definatley be here for you...if you need to...send me private messages...I will be checking often...and its no problem at all....I undeerstand how important support is at this time...and I will definately try my best to help you through it....and you will get through it...and you will get better...Its not that far away...I Promise! Just try to remember that its just the side effects that are going to make you feel lousy...they can't hurt you...and they will only last a short time... Try and rest as much as you can, but also be a little active as I know it helped me heaps to be on the go. I got out in the garden and mowed the lawn, did some weeding, washed the car...and felt better afterwards.
Perserverence Jackie...just remember it takes a little bit of time...You will be ok!
Take care
Patty:hugs::flowers:

bajope
11-03-11, 22:16
Thank you soo much Patty! I'm praying really hard that God will help me stick it out.

Every time I take the meds, I have a hard time differentiating what is the meds and what is the anxiety/depression. Do you understand that?

When I took the pill today, my anxiety was super high. Then after I took it, I felt drowsy. The contrast in how I felt kinda freaked me out. I keep telling myself it's just the meds, but I hate the feeling. My husband keeps wanting to talk to me and I just want to be left alone.

Anyway, that for being here :hugs:

Patsta
12-03-11, 06:43
Hi Jackie,
You will be ok....I understand exactly what you mean! You will feel more anxious just at the thought of taking the meds, and feeling drowsy is a side effect. I was the same...and I think when you say its hard to differentiate between what is anxiety/depression and what is the meds....its a combination of both!
Just give it time Jackie and within 2 weeks you will start to see the benefits. Don't be scared of the side effects...just take them for what they are...just side effects and have faith that they will subside in no time at all.
I am here for you and I will help you stick it out. Just post or private message me whenever you need to, I am always checking posts and messages.
You will be OK Jackie.....just try to relax a little (I know, easier said than done!) and just have faith that you will get through this!
Take care...thinking of you.
Patty:flowers:

hickman
12-03-11, 12:24
Hi Lizzy, Patty & Jackie
I'm so glad Jackie encouraged me to read your posts. I have been glued to my laptop most of the morning reading your posts. All what I've read sounds just like me, I'm absolutely desperate & like Jackie frightened of the meds, as I was taking Citalopram for 6 weeks & lots of people were telling me they were going to work but in the end I gave up because I felt terrible. Mainly my sister told me to perservere as she takes Citalopram & she told me they would work but to keep taking them, they worked for her after 4 weeks, but she too went through hell but she is so glad she perservered. I could no longer cope with the anxiety. So I am now on my 3rd day of Setraline (50mg - is this too high a starting dose do you think). Had to take diazepam as cant cope with the hyperventilation. Its so lovely that you have all been encouraging as sometimes you feel alone & no one to turn to & that no one understands. I've felt like getting a taxi to ER dept as I havent driven my car for a few weeks now but have stopped myself for fear of embarrassment. I hope you will reply to my post as I feel you all understand as you've all suffered the same. Susie:weep:

Lizzyg
12-03-11, 12:39
Hi Everybody

Before I started on the Sertraline I did not leave the house for 8 weeks, terrified of driving, seeing people, I just wanted to curl up in bed. The anxiety was overwhelming me, all the physical symptoms were horrible, palpitations, hperventilation, shakes and panic attacks.

I am now 4 weeks into sertraline and I feel so much better.

The first 2 weeks are tough, my anxiety got worse, I cried alot, slept alot,hperventilation I felt was out of control and I kept getting tremors. Now I get no side affects at all take the pill without thinking twice. My mind is calmer and I would say I'm 70% there. Started driving again even did the shopping on my own and last night went out for a meal! Havn't done that for months. I was anxious but it was all bearable and so glad I did it. Now my goal is to go back to work as I have been signed off since Christmas.

JAckie - I am so glad you have started the meds again you must be strong and hang in there. I felt everything you are going through, the fear, anxiety all the physical symptoms it is all now like a bad dream. I am so pleased I stuck with it as I could of easily have given up. You will be ok Jackie and you will get through it!

Susie - the hyperventilation will get worse before it gets better but it will get better! I woke up on day 14 and it had gone! My body still wants to hyperventilate sometimes when I am stressed but I feel I can get it back under control. My mind is so much calmer and I am not scared. Practice your abdominal breathing every day especially when you are calm and learn to relax every part of your body. I do this 3 times a day for 15 mins it just makes you become more 'in control of what your body is doing. It may be difficult now but when your mind becomes calmer it will get easier.

Good luck to both you girls, Patty was trmendous help to me at the start as she made me realise that what I was experiencing was normal and it was just the pills. She was so right so listen to everything she tells you!!

Sorry for the long post but I am here for both of you, message on here or privately and I will give you all the support you need, I know how important it is.

Sending everyone lots of big hugs :bighug1:
Take care xxxx

Tyke
12-03-11, 18:22
Hi everyone

Found a lot of comfort from reading all these posts. I am on day 9 of Sertraline and am finding it hard going. I have got many side effects, the only one which has eased off a lot are my stomach/daihrroea problems. My appetite is not good and the insomnia is quite bad. Added to the increased anxiety it is proving tough going when so far I have not had any benefit from taking it.

Your posts help me to have the confidence to persevere as the thought of being so much better seems at least possible.

Did anyone on here have sleep issues with Sertraline? And if so how long before it improved? I know everyone is different, but I worry that the insomnia is going to be a long standing problem, putting me off the drug and would feel better to hear from someone who had this situation improve.

Best of luck to you all.

Tyke

hickman
12-03-11, 20:47
Hi Everybody

Before I started on the Sertraline I did not leave the house for 8 weeks, terrified of driving, seeing people, I just wanted to curl up in bed. The anxiety was overwhelming me, all the physical symptoms were horrible, palpitations, hperventilation, shakes and panic attacks.

I am now 4 weeks into sertraline and I feel so much better.

The first 2 weeks are tough, my anxiety got worse, I cried alot, slept alot,hperventilation I felt was out of control and I kept getting tremors. Now I get no side affects at all take the pill without thinking twice. My mind is calmer and I would say I'm 70% there. Started driving again even did the shopping on my own and last night went out for a meal! Havn't done that for months. I was anxious but it was all bearable and so glad I did it. Now my goal is to go back to work as I have been signed off since Christmas.

JAckie - I am so glad you have started the meds again you must be strong and hang in there. I felt everything you are going through, the fear, anxiety all the physical symptoms it is all now like a bad dream. I am so pleased I stuck with it as I could of easily have given up. You will be ok Jackie and you will get through it!

Susie - the hyperventilation will get worse before it gets better but it will get better! I woke up on day 14 and it had gone! My body still wants to hyperventilate sometimes when I am stressed but I feel I can get it back under control. My mind is so much calmer and I am not scared. Practice your abdominal breathing every day especially when you are calm and learn to relax every part of your body. I do this 3 times a day for 15 mins it just makes you become more 'in control of what your body is doing. It may be difficult now but when your mind becomes calmer it will get easier.

Good luck to both you girls, Patty was trmendous help to me at the start as she made me realise that what I was experiencing was normal and it was just the pills. She was so right so listen to everything she tells you!!

Sorry for the long post but I am here for both of you, message on here or privately and I will give you all the support you need, I know how important it is.

Sending everyone lots of big hugs :bighug1:
Take care xxxx

Thankyou Lizzy, you've given me so much encouragement, bless you! Susie:bighug1:

Patsta
12-03-11, 22:12
Hi everyone...Wow...this is amazing....we are all in the same boat...some of us sitting at the front, as some of us further behind....but nonetheless all on the same boat. Its is a huge comfort to know that we are all in it together, helping each other and supporting each other through a difficult time in our lives.
Susie, when I first started suffering from anxiety 9 years ago, I started on 50mg of sertraline and was fine...I knew no different...didn't know anything about side effects or about how long the meds took to work...It was all very new to me...but I had no problems in taking 50mg to start with. After 3 days, I increased my dose to 100mg on doctors advice and obviously must have coped ok with it because in no time I was feeling much better! I too, back then could not get in the car and drive...the thought of it made my anxiety worse...so for a few weeks, I relied on others to get me from A to B until I felt ok to get in the car and drive.
Taking diazepam when you need to is great as it takes the edge of everything...and it is ok to take it. I was taking Xanax, which worked great... I was very hesitant in the beginning to take it, as I was scared, but my GP assured me it was ok and would help me in the early weeks. I would take it in the morning when my anxiety was at its worse and within about 15 minutes, my anxiety would be gone...I was able to function normally without that fear! The further I got in to taking my meds, the more I decreased the dose of Xanax...sometimes I didn't need it at all, but it was a great help in those early days! Now, I always have a ready supply of it in my hand bag...just in case!
Tyke, I too suffered from insomnia in the early days. As tired as I was, i was not able to get a good nights sleep, which in turn can made me a little more anxious. I found I would get to sleep ok, but would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep! Its is a side effect of the meds, and it will get better soon. I get a good nights sleep now and have no problem with getting back to sleep if I wake up through the night! I also had the stomach problems and loss of appetite...don't worry to much about it...it does settle down.
What we all need to remember is perserverence....it all takes time...but it will work...and we will all feel better in no time...we will get back our quality of life and start to enjoy ourselves again.
I have been there many times...having been on and off meds for 9 years...each time its different...the side effects when i go back on them sometimes seem worse than the last time...I don't know if that is the case, or that I just can't remember what it was like last time...what I do know for sure though, is that by sticking it out and perservering that I am on the road to recovery....
Liz....I am so proud of you! You went shopping on your own, and went out for dinner! That is fantastic! And to think...afew short weeks ago...you couldn't even get out of the house! Well done Liz! The little steps we take each day...are such an achievement....and help us in knowing that we are getting better!
Jackie....How are you going? Like I said in my earlier post....I am glad that you are on your meds again....and this time I know you will stick it out....you have so many of us here to help you through it and encourage each other in knowing that you are not the only one feeling the way you do! If your doctor can prescribe you some diazepam or Xanax...try and take it..as it really does help in the early days...don't be afraid of taking it...it will help you get through the side effects!
I'm so glad everyone is posting on here....it really is wonderful that we are all in different parts of the world, and yet still able to help each other!
Good luck everyone...take care and keep posting!
Patty
:hugs:for all

Lizzyg
12-03-11, 22:16
Hi Tyke
So glad you are finding all these posts helpful! Its good to know we are all the same. I too lost my appetite and actually lost 1st in weight. This week I am hungry all the time which is great as I am eating whatever I feel like inlcuding loads of chocolate.
I also get the insomnia and really weird dreams but again that it is improving. I do wake but am able to get back to sleep quite quickly.
The only persistant side effect is the headaches. I don't get them everyday but they are a bit of a pain, literally. I have one now and had to gone to bed early! But I hope they will subside like everything else.
Take Care and keep us posted with how you are doing xxxx

hickman
12-03-11, 22:26
Hi Patty
Thanks for your encouraging words again. I'm just panicking again here because doc has put me on sleeping tabs (Zopiclone, i think thats what they're called) & I've just read some horror stories about them about becoming addicted after just a few days & I've been taking them for about 2 weeks as I felt I couldn't sleep at all as my partner works away & quite often on my own. Did you ever take sleeping tablets? I am going to bed shortly as its 10.30pm here & I'm scared to take one tonight but I know if I dont I wont sleep! Susie:weep:

Patsta
12-03-11, 23:31
Hi Susie,
Don't stress yourself over what you read. I haven't taken sleeping tablets, but i was on Xanax...which does help you sleep, but also takes anxiety away. Most doctors here won't prescribe it as it is highly addictive....or so they say! My doctor on the other hand, said that I can take it for weeks without becoming addicted to it. I took it as I needed in the early weeks of starting my meds, to help with my anxiety and side effects. It was wonderful....took anxiety away within 15 minutes. I did not become addicted to it.
Maybe you should speak to your doctor about your concerns....but don't stress yourself over it too much.
Have you tried listening to music or reading a book to help you sleep.
I found in the past that I listened to a guided mediatation cd, and would never get to the end of it as I would always fall asleep before it finished!
Have you always had trouble sleeping or is it just since you started your meds?

hickman
13-03-11, 13:18
Hi Patty
I have always suffered anxiety/depression but never as bad as this but I am going through menopause so think maybe something hormone related. I had anxiety when I was young, but just used to take the odd diazepam (was valium then). After having my 3rd daughter, I had post natal depression so I was prescribed amitriptyline which I've taken on & off for years, only a low dose 25mg (which acts like a sleeping pill). I've been taking them now for about 10 years (without a break) but recently had bad bout of anxiety/depression as 25mg is only a maintenance dose so doc upped dose to 50mg which didnt really have an effect so doc decided to put me on the newer SSRI's. First of all Citalopram, which made me worse & now its my 4th day on Setraline (having a very tough day today with hyperventilation) I really cant cope with it! I hope this one works for me as I'm beginning to think maybe I cant cope with SSRI's as amitriptyline is one of the older tricylic drugs. Dont really know but will have to stick with it as I dont want to keep changing meds. When I'm really uptight diazepam dont seem to have much effect on me which scares me because I'm on my own most of time. My daughters (I have 3 are all grown up) they all work & dont live with me now & I dont like to worry them too much, I dont let on how bad I am this time. Glad you are doing well on your tablets. Take care, Susie:bighug1:

Patsta
13-03-11, 21:20
Hi Susie,
The first week or so on sertraline is really tough as our symptons of anxiety are heightened because of the meds. Its is completely normal to feel the way yo are, but it will ease up in a few short days. In the meantime, just try and relax a little....read a book, watch tv or so some puzzles, something that may help to take your mind of the side effects. I also found that doing something a little more active, like washing the car or some gardening helped me when I was feeling really bad. Once the side effects wear off, you will start to feel better....I know it doesn't seem like that now...but there is light at the end of the tunnel....you just need to perservere with it a little longer....as with all SSRI's, they do take a little time to work, but over the next week or so, you should start to see and improvement!
Good luck Susie...keep posting...we are all here for you!

Tyke
17-03-11, 15:38
Hi everyone
Just wondered how you are all getting on. I will have been taking Sertraline for exactly 2 weeks tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't feel any different and can't help wondering how long it will be before I feel any better. The side effects have eased off a bit which is a compensation at least, but I hope I can report an improvement soon. How long was it before anyone on here started to feel the benefit?

Tyke

bajope
17-03-11, 19:29
Hi Tyke~

Day 7 for me and like you feel the same...and probably worse. What mg. are you taking? I'm only on 25 mg and the dr said that isn't enough to see any improvement. She said I should bump to 50 mg.

We're all in this together.

Patsta
17-03-11, 19:39
Hi Tyke and Jackie,

Tyke, over the next week or so you should start to feel a little better. It can take up to 8 weeks to feel the full benefit of the meds, but having said that, you will start to feel better way before then. I found after the second week, I started to feel a little better each day...it does take time...but you will wake up one morning and feel great! Once the side effects start to ease up is usually when you start to improve.
Everyone is different...and reacts differently to the meds...hang in there...like Jackie said...we are all in this together!
Jackie...how are you doing? Have you increased your meds yet? Like I said...you shouldn't get any new side effects with increasing it...and I know you are probably really anxious about doing so....but it will help you.
Take care
Patty:bighug1:

bajope
17-03-11, 19:44
Hi Patty~

Sending you a PM...

Tyke
18-03-11, 17:05
Thanks everyone for your continued support. It is very reassuring to know that I shouldn't have to wait too much longer for the benefits of Sertraline after suffering from the unpleasant side effects for a bit! Patty - the side effects have lessened now and I'm just over 2 weeks since I started, so hopefully I will start to feel better very soon. Jackie - they started me on 50mg and I'm supposed to keep going on that for the time being. Lizzy/Patty - I am even managing a little bit more sleep now, so even that is improving!

Good luck to everyone and once again thank you for your comments. Things are going to get better!:)
Tyke

jaynemarie
21-03-11, 14:26
Patty and Liz on the fourth day, Gp started me on 50mg but at the mo feel bit more anxious and thats about it. Dont it make you feel better just knowing you are not the only one ? Health anxiety is more heightened at the mo,but i am assuming its because of the meds. I cant wait to be a few weeks down the line and can see a glimmer of hope. Until then i will keep watching Eastenders and Home and Away and eating chocolate. Love to you all xxx

hickman
22-03-11, 16:41
Hi Tyke~

Day 7 for me and like you feel the same...and probably worse. What mg. are you taking? I'm only on 25 mg and the dr said that isn't enough to see any improvement. She said I should bump to 50 mg.

We're all in this together.

Hi Jackie how you feeling now? Susie

jaynemarie
24-03-11, 09:14
Hi all just wondered how everyone is doing ? Hope your ok x

Patsta
24-03-11, 19:45
Hi Jayne...
I was wondering the same thing? I am doing great...feeling really well...I can say that I am 99% better! I still get a tiny bit of anxiety every now and then...but its hardly there, and doesn't stop me from doing anything!
How are you going? Hope you are doing well and on the road to recovery!

Jackie...Liz...Tyke...Susie....how are you all going? Haven't seen a post from you for a while...hope you are all well and starting to feel better!
Take care
Patty:bighug1:to all

jaynemarie
24-03-11, 19:53
So pleased to hear that Patty it must feel great. Been on them for a week now and i actually sat out in the garden, which is a big deal for me. Long long way to go, but hearing how well you are doing gives me a much needed boost. Dont be a stranger we love hearing how you are doing x

bajope
24-03-11, 20:03
Hi jaynemarie~

I'm on day 14 now. I've noticed a little decrease in the anxiety but an overall increase in the depression. You will probably progress quicker that me as you started at 50m. I started at 25mg and just today upped it a VERY little bit. I'm too scared of additional s/e to make the jump to 50 all at once. What s/e have you had trouble with?

Good job getting out into your garden. I wish I had a garden. Praying you have great success on the meds and are back to feeling yourself in no time!

jaynemarie
24-03-11, 22:03
Hi Bajope. thanks for lovely message. I really havent noticed side effects except for being maybe a bit more anxious but i think that is common with this med. I have stopped and started so many meds over the last six months, effexor, citlopram and mitzrapine and i have found sertroline the least side effects. I would speak to your doctor about increasing to 50mg i promise you i have had no problems.

I have got a long long way to go but for the first time i actually feel a bit more hopeful.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are going. Were all ln this together mate xxx

Tyke
25-03-11, 16:42
Hello Everyone
Just thought I'd give you an update. Not really any change for me up to now. Been on Sertraline for 3 weeks. The side effects are reducing, but i'm still waiting to feel something positive from the drug. I am due back at the docs next week, so I will have a chat with him about it. Maybe 50mg isn't enough? I am awaiting counselling also, so I will give that a go when the time comes. Everyone is different and I know some people haven't felt any change for a month or so, so I haven't given up yet. If in the end I don't get anywhere with this I will look at other medications and see what the doc thinks. I dream of the day when we can have our DNA and its drug compatabilities recorded so they just tap something into a computer and offer us the best drug straight off, without all the trial and error! I wouldn't really want to start over again with another drug, but I will if I have to.
It does give me hope though when I see how much people can improve. Patty - you are doing so well, Sertraline is definitely right for you and I know it has helped many others who have been able to stick with it.
Best of luck to you all - may we all make good progress towards better health.
Tyke

Patsta
25-03-11, 20:42
Hi Tyke,
I am glad you are not giving up and you seem to have a positive outlook which is so important.
When I first started taking sertraline 9 years ago...I started on 50mg and after 3 days increased to 100mg on doctors orders. You may very well need to increase it, but see what your doctor says about it. Having said that...it is still early days and I don't think that your meds have kicked in yet...as we know...they can take up to 6 weeks and sometimes longer! I don't think you are far off from feeling better, especially that the side effects have started to ease up. Each day should be an improvement...thats not to say that we don't have bad days...everyone does...even those that don't suffer from all this...but in general, you should start to see an improvement soon!
Good luck Tyke:flowers:

Lizzyg
25-03-11, 21:39
Hi Everyone
REally glad you are perservering it really does get better!
I did have a really bad week last week but this week I have felt 'normal' most of the time which is great!
Today I drove and went into work for an hour. I really wanted to do and I did. I was very anxious and shaking but once I was in there chatting to everyone I felt fine. It was so uplifting and I can honestly say I feel really happy today.
Six weeks ago I couldn't leave the house, couldn't drive and was in a very dark place so I hope I can give you all the hope and encouragement you need to know things can get better. Six weeks now on Sertraline and the majority of that time I have felt rough and I think can tick off every side effect on the leaflet. Now just have the insomnia!
Everyone just be strong and stick with it and I hope you will all be able to say a few weeks down the line 'I feel happy!'. xxxxxxxxxx

jaynemarie
25-03-11, 23:04
Thanks Liz, i needed to hear that having a bad day today. Feel very uptight and almost breathless did you ever feel like that ?

So happy for you, when i read your first posts, you sound like a different person, good on you. xxx

Lizzyg
26-03-11, 10:47
Hi Jayne
For 15 days (I know cause I kept a diary!) I really suffered with my breathing. It really is horrible felt like there was not enough air in the world for me! I used to spend every evening sat in the garden even in the rain cause I 'needed' fresh air and felt I could only breath this way. I was so up tight and scared it really was horrible. On day 16 that breathing symptom suddenly got so much easier and every day got easier now I am fine. Sometimes my body wants to hyperventilate but I can now challenge my thoughts (learnt through CBT) and convince myself I can breath I am not going to die and not to be scared and just control the breath.
It all takes time you will get there I'm sure just hang in there and take each day as it comes.
Liz :flowers:

jaynemarie
29-03-11, 12:00
Hi all, just wondered how you were all doing ? I am on my 11th day now 50mg dont feel alot different yet but will persevere. I just wondered what dosage you are all on.
Liz brilliant that you went to work and the pub, you have come such along way. Just reading yours and Patsa posts for a bit of needed inspiration. xxx

Lizzyg
29-03-11, 13:13
Hi Jayne
I too am on 50mg and now over 6 weeks in. I feel so much better! The mind feels quite content which is a strange feeling because I have been highly charged for such a long time. I sometimes think is this the right way to feel because my mind has not been so chilled in a very long time. I am now waiting for the body to catch up! Feel very tired and still get physical anxiety symptoms but the mind is not worried about it so they do not get out of control.
Just need some time now feeling ok, getting jobs done and challenging myself to do things again. I am hoping to go back to work after next week!
Hope you too are doing ok xxxx

jaynemarie
29-03-11, 16:10
Just got my mum to read your posts and i think its done her a power of good as well as me. I think it gave her better insight to how i am feeling. Nearly two weeks now so fingers crossed may see some improvement soon. Thank God for diazapam ! Thanks for your update i love reading them xxx

Tyke
31-03-11, 14:07
Hi everyone

Well, I went back to the doctor today and explained everything. Nearly four weeks on Sertraline 50mg, but no improvement. Still getting some side effects, but not as bad as they were initially. Doc reckoned sticking with it a bit longer on same dose to see if I get any benefit at all, especially if side effects are bearable. If it seems to be working during this next period, dose could be increased for higher therapeutic effect, but if it doesn't seem to work at all then he suggested coming off it and trying another SSRI. This would mean starting again with a small gap in between, waiting for the new med to build up in my system.

It seems best to continue with Sertraline at present, as I could well be nearer an improvement this way than if I start all over again with a new drug. He reckoned that around 4-6 weeks was when the drug amount should be reaching its peak, so I may feel something soon. I hope and pray that it works, as I would be looking several weeks down the line to possibly feel better if I have to try another SSRI! I have to admit though I don't feel very positive, apart from the side effects I just don't feel any different at all, but the next few weeks will be the final proof one way or the other!

Tyke

jaynemarie
31-03-11, 14:23
Tyke i am on 2nd week, my doctor said that 50 mg was just starting dosage for me and will be slowly upping dosage. I feel worse at mo, but i am assuming its just the side effects, i am so jumpy all the time. Hang on in there x

Patsta
01-04-11, 21:16
Hi all,
I haven't been on for a while...been very busy!
I hope you are all starting to feel a little better.
Jayne, being on your second week, and feeling worse...its definately side effects, but they will start to ease up soon and you will start to feel better, hang in there!

Tyke, sometimes meds take a little longer to work on some people than others. I have been on and off sertraline for 9 years, and each time I go back on them, its different to the time before. I do recall, that it has taken up to 8 weeks to really kick in, and also it does depend on the dose you take. When I first started sertraline, I was on 50mg for 3 days and then upped to 100mg. If your side effects are easing up, then it is worth perservering a little longer. It would be a shame to have come this far and then to have to start all over again on a different med.
Just a little longer and I think you will start to feel better! Fingers crossed for you!

Liz, you are doing fantastic! It is so good to read your posts and see how well you are doing! I am so happy for you! We have both come such a long way from those early days when we thought that we would never feel normal again! Look at us now!
Good work Liz...well done!
Good luck all and keep posting!
Patty
:hugs:to all!

jaynemarie
01-04-11, 22:27
Patsa and Liz keep me posted how your doing, your my inspiration girls xxx

jaynemarie
06-04-11, 19:18
Hi all how are you all doing x

Whitehall1
06-04-11, 20:09
I have found your posts really helpful - I have been on 50mg since the start of February and I can do so much more now than I could then (could not leave the house or see friends back then). However, I am still anxious and worry more than I should - will this improve?? I start my counselling next week with a view to been able to look for work (I was made redundant in Dec which is what triggered my problems). Will declaring my illness stop me finding work? my doc says not but I am worried :weep:. I also still have trouble sleeping - any ideas??

jaynemarie
06-04-11, 20:34
I glad our posts are helping you. Lizzy and Patsa are proof that these tablets can help. I am on 100mg and find sleeping alot easier now. I am starting councilling in a couple of weeks dont really not what to expect. Hang on in there you will be fine x

Whitehall1
08-04-11, 08:35
Many thanks for the support - I will let you know if I get an inerview! Adele xxxx

Tyke
13-04-11, 17:42
Hi everyone

I'm pleased to say that I am now finally feeling a little better! :) It has been nearly six weeks on Sertraline. My concentration has improved, my sleeping is better, the stomach problems have eased off a lot and I am finding it easier to get started on a morning. I am also finding it easier talking to people (just wanted to avoid people before as I felt so rotten). I have even felt a decrease at times with the general anxiety and a bit less preoccupation with the physical anxiety symptoms. Hope the improvements continue!

Adele - whether to declare your situation to an employer or not is a difficult one. If being made redundant caused your difficulties, then it stands to reason that getting back into the workplace is just the right thing for you and it would probably not frighten off employers in the same way as leaving a job through anxiety or depression would. Personally I would never tell unless I had to as you just never know - if you were made redundant, can't you just say you were looking for work since then? I have also had trouble sleeping which worsened on Sertraline. This has eased off a lot now, but I found relaxation CDs or tapes at bedtime were a help. I would sometimes go to sleep before they had finished. Establish a relaxing bedtime routine and avoid any stimulants if you are not already doing so (caffeine etc) especially later in the day. Good luck.

Tyke

jaynemarie
13-04-11, 20:41
Brillliant to hear your doing so well Tyke, it was worth persevering then ? Hope i can say the same in a few weeks Jayne x

dillongraham
16-04-11, 21:02
hi i am new on here. I was prescribed citlopram about 15 months ago - started on 20 mg and then increased to 40 mg last October. I was also taking beta blockers to help control my anxiety after my dad died 27 months ago. I had some really bad days - the best days were staying in bed where it was safe and warm. I had to really push myself and i felt that nobody understood how it felt - including my partner. It was like people thought you were lazy - and yes we all experience death so how long is this going to take. Slowly the number of good days have increased. I was probably around 2/10 but now more like 6/10. The night sweats for me are the worst - really difficult to cope with and wake me up. During the day if i get stressed or flustered i feel like my body has been turned up a few degrees and i get hot. This a lovely website - you all seem so supportive of each other.

Helen x

jaynemarie
16-04-11, 22:15
Hi Helen. glad to hear that you are on the up. People are lovely on here and i have found tremendous support from them. Take care and let us know how you are doing Jayne x

Lizzyg
16-05-11, 20:10
Hi everyone

I really want to share with you all that I feel so well now and to give you all encouragement that you can get better!!

You will see from my earlier posts this year that anxiety just took over my life. I couldn't work, drive, leave the house, leave the bedroom at one point, eat see people, I was terrified of everything!

I am still on the the sertraline and have had CBT and read Dr Claire Weekes books which are fantastic, highly recommend!

I am now living my life normally. Back at work, socialising, driving and got a great appetite.

I actually feel happy!!! Still have some bad days, but I know that is what it is just a bad day. I get on with living regardless of how I feel.

To all of you out there please see your doctor accept all the help that is offered to you. Live through all the side effects of AD's and there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Three months ago I thought my life was over and was very depressed but with hard work (and its such hard work!!) my life has turned around.

I hope I have given just a little bit of hope to everyone, take care to all of you and hope you all find some peace.:flowers:

rubytuesday
11-06-11, 16:14
hi there,

liz it's so lovely to hear that you're doing so well and i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted on here. i've been taking sertraline for 4 days, so am still in very early stages but have high hopes for it. reading all your posts about how you are feeling better is so encouraging, long may it continue x

Whitehall1
06-08-11, 12:56
I have got my 1st job interview on Tuesday, let's hope it goes well. I have finished my CBT and have cut my Sertraline down to 1/2 a tablet a day. I think returning to work will help as I am so bored at home! Wish me luck :D

Whitehall1
17-08-11, 17:38
2nd interview on the 24th!!! wish me luck!!! :D

Jenny63
17-08-11, 18:18
Have just read through the whole of this and must say it gave me a big boost:hugs:

Was on Sertraline (50mg) for 5 weeks but didn't see much improvement so came off and felt even worse!!!

Now on day 6 of new course and going through all the side effects again but so scared to come off of them.

Tiredness is my main thing and headache. Feel as if I on on the point of having a full blown panic attack all the time:scared15: