PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotherapy to get me back to work

3faces
31-03-06, 12:55
Hey there all!

Been quite some time since I was last here.....wish I was doing well but seem to be plagued by the same old demons:(

Seriously thinking of having hypnotherapy sessions to help me deal with an irrational fear of going back to work after a long time out of the 'world' bringing up children. Has anyone tried hypnotherapy to control their anxiety/panic so that you can face situations you fear? I certainly don't want to be hypnotised so that I can dwell on my childhood etc , I just want to move forward. Have tried CBT, it helps but need something else.

Would appreciate any info/advice anyone has got on the subject. Thanks:)

Jem xxx

'Recovery lies in the places and experiences you fear'

Piglet
31-03-06, 14:24
Hi ya Jem,

I am in the same 'going back to work' place too!!!

I have always enjoyed the Glenn Harrold self-hypnosis cd's but have never tried the real version so will be very interested to hear how you get on.

I agree I don't want to delve into my childhood either I just probably need more in the way of coping techniques. If you feel like that too then I wonder if the CBT would be more in line with what you need.

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Chardonay
31-03-06, 22:14
Hi There,

I am having Hypnotherapy for my Anxiet/ocd.
But not sure if it is for me or not.
As it makes me feel tired, and more stressed and confused.
But the thing to remember is everyone is different.

Good luck.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror

strawberrie
01-04-06, 10:36
hi jem,

i would totally recommend hypnotherapy to help with your fears of going back to work. i had hypnotherapy a few years ago when i was having a particularly bad time and had lost a lot of confidence. it had got to the stage where i spent all day dreading going to pick my son up from school cos i was so self conscious in the playground i was convinced all the other mums were staring at me and criticising me!

i went for a trial session with 2 different hypnotherapists, the first one talked about himself and how great he was for about half an hour and then told me there must have been an incident in my earlier life that had caused me to lose confidence, and we needed to go back to find out what it was and 'reprogramme' my thoughts about it. Well i thought this was a load of crap cos to be honest, i (like most people) can vividly remember all the most embarassing incidents of my past and didnt really want reminding of them! needless to say, i didnt take up his offer of numerous sessions (at £70 a go)!

So i tried another hypnotherapist who actually wanted to listen to what my problems were, and explained that the other guy must have been an analytical hypnotherapist, and although this approach can be helpful in some cases she didnt believe that it was necessary to help me with my lack of confidence. I ended up having about 6 sessions with her, where she worked on self esteem, confidence, and a little on specific problems like blushing. The sessions were unbelievably relaxing, i felt like i was walking on air the whole rest of the day, and nothing about it was unpleasant (i was totally aware of what was going on all the time). She also showed me how to do self hypnosis, although i have to admit i am very lazy and did not do this at home!

anyway, i am not going to say that overnight i was a changed person, but i really felt that the sessions took the edge off my anxiety. i went on a training course at the time when i was having the sessions and it was only afterwards that i realised that i had been talking in front of other people without the huge level of anxiety i would have felt before. i also found i was able to talk to other mums in the playground without being so self conscious.

although i think hypnosis cd's can be helpful for relaxing, i found that my hypnotherapist tailored my sessions very specifically to my own particular problems and worries, which was what i really needed. the only drawback is the cost, i paid £50 per hour, but it was money well spent. if you decide to go ahead with it, make sure you find a therapist that you feel comfortable with.

sorry, that was a bit of an essay! i hope that helps a little, if you want to ask anything more about it, feel free to pm me!

by the way, i do not suffer from panic attacks, so i dont know how well hypnotherapy would work with that.

if you decide to go for it, let us know how you get on,
take care,
mag xxx

panicdiva
05-04-06, 18:25
I have had hypnotherapy to help me in the past & it did help a little. However, I am now getting hypnotherapy to visit my childhood. I have repressessed memories about things that I was unable to face when I was 7 yrs old. I have always avoided doing this too because I believed that it was pointless. However, under hypnosis I remembered some things & the really, really weird thing is that the feelings of how I felt during this time, are the feelings which I experience when in a panic attack. So, although I am not "cured", I now know where the weird thoughts & feelings come from, which does make me feel a little better because now I understand it more. Now we are going to work on changing those feelings. Hopefully this will work. It probably is not for everyone, & maybe this is not the best course to take for me either, but I just thought I would tell you about it anyway. Don't know if it helps in any way.

Karen
05-04-06, 20:09
Hi Jem

I've had hypnotherapy and found it very helpful and it can indeed help with anxiety and panic.

Make sure the therapist you choose is registered with a profession association and also that they are a 'solution focused' therapist, rather than one focusing on the pyschoanalytical approach.

Let us know how you get on.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

panicdiva
05-04-06, 21:08
The pschyoanalitcal approach can be helpful for some people. Everyone just has to experiment & find what suits them best. I don't believe that there is only one way for everyone - if there was, we would all be panic free - which would be great!

3faces
06-04-06, 16:56
Thanks to everyone for their replies.....I've got lots to think about and it's good to hear about others experiences.

Take care!

Jem xxx

'Recovery lies in the places and experiences you fear'

theogeorgio
11-05-11, 10:41
Jem

i was wondering if you did see a hypnotherapist at the end and how it was for you.

You had some really good replies... like with everything some therapist are better suited for us than others.

If there is anything you dont like about the session discuss it with your therapist to change it