PDA

View Full Version : Panic about things caused by panic

Deekon
09-02-11, 21:20
So this all started for me 6 months ago, before than I never had any physical issues in my life. I am 31, male and always had a bit on anxiety but no physical issues. One morning I woke up feeling off-balanced. I thought it would go away, it didn't, I went to the ER and they found nothing. For the past 6 months I have been getting going doctor to doctor and not one thing has been found. But I keep getting dizzy and anxious. It's not all the time and I never had a typical panic attack, but anxiety is the only thing that makes sense. For example, I tend to get dizzy in wide open spaces. So I decided to go to a museum to see if I can handle it. I walked to the Metropolitan Museum of art feeling good. As soon as I got in there, i was dizzy and nervous. I felt like I was going to faint. But I toughed it out and spent about an hour there. As soon as I walked out, I felt great. So i started thinking that there isn't a medical condition that just comes and goes like that. But the only thing that makes me anxious is thinking that I may get dizzy. I am anxious about my anixety. I am trying to figure out how to break this cycle and if for certain I don't have any health issues. I have started therapy and I don't want meds because I know the side effects will depress me. How the heck can I get out of this labyrinth? Any suggestions? Right now I am just pressing forward and luckily the only thing that makes me feel worse than being dizzy is thinking that I cannot do things because I will get dizzy. I will pass out in every museum in this city if I have to to get better!

Thanks for listening

Deek

chatterbox
10-02-11, 16:07
hi Deek
PLease try not to think the worse, i too gt dizzy alot and in shops mainly.and i understand exactly what you are saying.its like we expect it to happen,and so it does,you and me both know its anxiety and that we bring this on ourselves. i have never passed out and i have suffered with this dizziness for more than 10yr. We need to change the thoughts,easier said than done i know. but we do! Holly:):winks:

misskitty
10-02-11, 17:00
Hi, I used to have the same fear of going dizzy. It started when I woke one morning with vertigo - major dizzy spell.. that made me scared of it foro a longtime. I dont know if this will help you but here's what I did.. I went to the chemist - boots I think - and I bought travel bands. Truth is they work on accupressure and they stop nausea and dizzy sensations, and they arent just for travel! I started wearing them wherever I went when I felt anxious, and boy do they work.. eventually I realised that I had gone for months without wearing them.

Nowadays I still use them for long car journeys as I still get the fear back then , but other than that - nothing :) It sounds like a long shot to you perhaps but they worked for me.

Also one my mum taught me about FEAR... False Evidence Appearing Real

In other words your fear is making you believe that you are dizzy, but your not - it's panic, and it will pass I promise!

Deekon
10-02-11, 21:01
Thank you both, I go through phases where I feel really strong and then crash for a few days. It's just so hard to understand all of this. I can't believe that this is what's making me dizzy. I will try the bands, even if it is purely psychosomatic it is still worth a shot.

Deekon