PDA

View Full Version : From Sertraline to Mertazapine

simonfa
09-02-11, 21:32
Hey guys,

Im new here to the site and glad to have found somewhere such as this with so many people with the wealth of knowledge and understanding that comes from going to through similar experiences.

Im not going to start another thread or topic about my medication then ask if its normal but what i would like to know is that im not the only one and that im not this person ive seemingly turned into for any other reason other than the medication i am taking. So here is hoping im not the only one!

I was given Sertraline after sometime dealing with depression and anxiety problems from my doctor and didnt seem to be benefiting from it after around 2 months but i had developed very odd sleep patterns and could have it classed as insomnia i guess. This is something ive never ever suffered from before as i was always the type of person who was asleep 2 minutes after my head hitting the pillow! I also started to go off my food and devoloped a very poor appetite, again this was very abnormal for me as i love my food, im not over weight and if anything im underweight and have always been this way since birth, a blessing some would say!

Needless to say after a few weeks of being dog tired and not eating correctly my doctor took me off the Sertraline and replaced it with 15mg of Mertazapine and have been taking it each night for 2 weeks now.

Since being prescribed Mert i cant say my sleeping is any better although i do often have the feeling of being zonked out if you like, almost like a zombie feeling but always put it down to tiredness rather than the tabs themself. The big improvment for me since being on Mert is my appetite is back with a vengance and i feel like the kid from Charlie and his chocolate factory lol as i often eat till i cant eat anymore due to a swollen and bloated belly.

On the major downside of these tabs, i have noticed a significant change in my behaviour and my attitude towards just about anything especially my partner. Symptoms such as not giving a hoot about things including my relationship have really taken it out on me and my partner as it is driving a wedge between us and is litterally tearing us apart. Often during rows over nothing in particular i will just end it with wanting to be alone rather than having to talk to her and sort things out, i know i do it and am very aware that i am but for some reason cant seem to rationalise and end it with a few kind words or by explaining how i feel. Ending the relationship is far from what i actually want but i find myself shouting to her that we are over. After some alone time to relax and calm down i can see what i have done and said and looking back realise how stupid i was in what i did, said and how i approached it. Just cant seem to do it in the moment. I just get so worked up in an instant. Ive never felt soooo frustrated over the silliest and pointless and trivial things. Ive even noticed myself feeling pretty violent and angry towards people, i do actually feel like i want to harm someone and have even laid a finger so to speak on my partner (Pushing mainly) and its just not on, its not acceptable in my opinion.

Other symptoms are sadness and general feeling of being low and very little 'get up and go' or enthusiasm for most things.

Another possible side effect i seem to get is sickness and diarrhoea, ive had this on 3 seperate occasions over the past 2 weeks now and am not sure if this is medication related or just a bug thats going around. I seem to have it for a day then it goes and im fine but then comes back days later. Does anyone else have these problems or is this not really a symptom of Mert?

Also another side effect i have got is the vivid dreams, not really been a dreamer before as i very rarely remember my dreams, since being on Mert i have some quite vivid dreams but not nightmares, in fact they are quite fun and i am enjoying some of them!

Although ive read some symptoms of others on the same doseage i would love to know if im not the only one experiencing these symptoms and if you have come through the other side feeling better for it all or any advice on what to do next.

Thanks in advance all,

Simon.

Vixxy
10-02-11, 11:05
Hi there. Ive noticed an increase in mood swings since Ive been on mirt. I often get really pissed off about stuff that didnt bother me before.
Youve only just started on the pills, so it might just be the side effects from that causing you to be so angry. Sit down and talk to your partner and tell her how you feel and that its the mood swings causing you to act out of character. If you still feel like this after a few more weeks then go back to your GP and ask to try another AD.
I too get the vivid dreams. It can be a side effect from starting the meds, and most people notice it stops after a few weeks. Or you could be like me and be stuck with them XD

JT69
11-02-11, 12:34
Hi Simon,

I too, get the mood swings though not as bad as when I first started taking mirtazipine...I was awful, would fly off the handle at the slightest thing and found things annoying me that never used to!!! The vivid dreams too and the increased appetite I too suffered with. I am currently on 15mg after a 12 month spell, I did increase to 30mg for some months and found this helped with my mood as 15mg is not really said to be a theraputic dose.

I would just make sure your partner knows that this is one of the side effects of the meds and will settle, and that its not really you doing it (if you know what I mean). I am lucky my husband is so understanding and has put up with so much with me as he knows I just cannot help it...he is so patient!!!

I hope you feel the benefit of the meds soon and the anger subsides.

Take care.
Jo.xx