PDA

View Full Version : Hormone related anxiety

bee10
09-02-11, 23:19
After monitoring my anxiety for a long while I have realised a pattern that it starts around ovulation time and then until I have my period. Then I feel better once I have my period and finish the cycle.

I have looked into this and it seems that hormone levels can have an impact on anxiety (as many of you know already I expect). I have also read though, that it is very difficult to diagnose as our hormones fluctuate so much and that it is hard to treat.

Has anyone had any experience with this or know how to be tested?

Thanks

paula lynne
09-02-11, 23:41
Oh yes, story of my life Bee! Only realised about 2 years ago, after keeping a chart heres my story.
Diagnosed with anx and panic 10 years ago. Became agoraphobic. About 2 years ago, my hubby casually mentioned that everything about my illness was worse when I ovulated. I started keeping a chart. I saw the pattern emerge withing 3 months....it goes like this-(scores out of 10)
Anxiety at ovulation-(approx day 14-about 8/9)
Panic attacks at ovulation - severe and frequent, about 9
Hot flashes - bad, about 8
Migraines - severe and frequent, 8
Vertigo - awful- 10
general dizzyness - 8
eyes blurry - 8
emotional - 8
severe carb craving - 9
Drinking - out of control 9
smoking - too many , 8
Palpatations/ectopics - dreadful -9

Then about 2 days before my period, I feel like I want to die/am going mad......
Then, as happened yesterday, my period came. Im sitting here with tum and back pain but...heres the scores out of 10 now................

Anxiety - 5
Panic attacks - none
Hot flashes - 3
Migraine - none
Vertigo - 3
General dizzyness - 2
Eyes blurry - 1
Emotional - 3
Carb craving - 2
Drinking - 1
Smoking - 2
Palpatations/ectopics - 3

I am convinced its hormonal. Its linked to oestrogen dominance, and this can be done with a blood test at your gps. However, my results were within normal ranges. Both my oestrogen and progesterone levels were normal, nut upon researching this, its how the levels interact with each other, not their individual level which is the key. Unfortunately, my gp didnt discuss this, and Ive given up on her now anyway to be honest. I found Vit B complex to be fantastic, and its also eliminated all my breast tenderness. I still dread my period, but at 40, hopefully things will settle down soon, as Ive started getting peri-menopausal signs now......cant wait.

I enjoy the times when I have my "good" 2 weeks, and do my best to get out and live life to the full, and during my bad times, I accept it and realise it wont last forever. I read a research article on Progesterone cream, written in the Lancet, which has had dramatic effects on several hormonal issues and anx on women in America...unfortunatley its not available here. I did try the progesterone-only pill (mini-pill) for 4 monthes, and it did help a little, but with my family history of DVT and High BP, I decided it wasnt worth the risk. Maybe you could ask your gp about it? Hope this helps anyway. Youre not alone! PM me anytime, this subject I could moan and moan about til the cows come home!! Love, P x:wacko:

bee10
10-02-11, 00:49
Ah thank you. That is so interesting and I have all the symptoms like you - and can relate to your scores too.

What a nightmare it can be. I do want my GP to check my hormone levels... but feel a bit like you when it comes to giving up on the doctor. Unless they have dealt with anxiety themselves they have no idea! But will give it a try...

I have anxiety for the past say 2 years. I am 30, so guess it has started just about age when you were diagnosed too.

Anyway I will keep you posted... and let me know too if you ever find out anymore discoveries!

The joys of being a woman hey!

Take care x

paula lynne
10-02-11, 00:53
Glad to help x
Get that blood test done, its a good starting point anyway. I wish you luck, and if you find out any info, gimme a bell?! Nice to meet a fellow sufferer actually, its the worst of my problems. Worse than agoraphobia even...never mind, roll on menopause, I will be a dried up ole harridan, but with no PMT! Yippee!! :yesyes:

bee10
10-02-11, 01:03
Thanks, will message you if any updates.
All the best x

countrygirl
10-02-11, 08:45
On the subject of hormone blood tests - they are very inaccurate which alot of people do not realise and are only based on the few hours before the blood is taken ( I worked at a Drs). Especially during perimenopause the 15 yrs in the lead up to menopause you could have a blood test every day for a week and get wildy different results!

As yet the NHS do not offer saliva hormone testing but this is suposed to be the most accurate way of testing for most hormones. I had awful perimeno problems but my blood tests were almost normal until I did the saliva one and found I was severely oestr dominent and had almost no progesterone because I had stopped ovualting 2 years ago.

bee10
10-02-11, 23:33
Did you go privately for the saliva test then? thanks for info, really useful.