PDA

View Full Version : Heart Pounding?

Mark801
09-02-11, 23:41
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if anyone here gets a pounding heart when changing positions or when stretching.

For example, I'm laying down and all I did was sit up and turn and I felt my heart pounding for about 10 seconds. Also, I was stretching my arm over my head to release some tension and the same thing happened for about 10 seconds as well. Tested my bp earlier and it was 125/77 Hr was 78. I really hate this, I hate being so tuned into my heart.

Does anyone get this? I've been freaking myself out like crazy with a lot of anxiety that I've been going through and I don't know what to do or think. Please reassure me.

paula lynne
10-02-11, 01:05
Hi, I get it a lot when standing up from sitting position. Its blood pressure doing its job. Try to stop taking your Bp, (which is fine by the way), as you know you are only feeding your anxiety. If your heartbeat bothers you, tune out by listening to an ipod or similar, I use that a lot and its really helpful. Especially at night when all I can hear is my heart beating...but its just doing its job after all!

Mark801
10-02-11, 01:33
Thanks Paula. I get that as well. Except I don't get it often. My heart tends to pound/race when standing up only when I'm very anxious(which makes me scared to move).

But just now, I was just laying in bed playing my ds when I sat up a bit and my heart was pounding away. Also earlier, I was stretching my arms over my head which also caused a pounding heart for about 5-10 seconds.

Do you get that or does anyone else get this?

I'm so scared my I have a heart problem.:weep:

paula lynne
10-02-11, 01:38
Yes I get it. Its simply positional Bp adjustment. Im an ex-nurse, and in my opinion, its harmless. Nearly every has it, but us with our anxiety and panic notice it more thats all.

Try this...next time it starts to pound say out loud "GREAT...THATS MY HEART BEATING AS IT SHOULD, DOING ITS JOB...IVE JUST STOOD UP/ROLLED OVER/STRETCHED...AND ITS ADJUSTING TO ME...CLEVER HEART.....ITS A POWERFUL MUSCLE JUST DOING ITS JOB..............................

Make this your mantra!

jmoid
10-02-11, 10:16
I get a heavy heartbeat when I stand and when I stretch too. Paula's mantra sounds like the perfect thing to stave off any anxiety about it!

Mark801
11-02-11, 01:01
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Paula you've managed to reassure me well. Thank so much for that. There;s no way that this canharm us though right?

fourth_letter
11-02-11, 01:13
Heartbeat issues have plagued me for years now. Paula is SO right. I get palps and heavy heartbeats when I am sitting up and have something propped up against my back. I have learned that my heart is not "stuck" in one position inside of my body- it is actually floating about a little bit. What do I do? Change positions. The heart is a very reliable mechanism and there is very little to worry about. Think of it like this: have you ever had a numb foot or leg and when you change positions, it gets numb and then throbs a bit? same principle with the pounding heart. just your bp distributing blood flow to other parts of your body. You will be ok. :hugs:

Mark801
11-02-11, 01:45
@Fourth

Thanks so much for replying. Nice to know others feel the same way. It just makes me panic when it happens and I feel slightly breathless with it too.

Anxiety is horrible. :weep:

jothenurse
11-02-11, 02:53
Your heart beating faster when changing positions is normal. I am a nurse. I too have this, especially in the morning, and if I have been sitting for awhile. I have had trouble with tachycardia with the panic disorder I have. The thing that works for me the best is distraction and just ignoring it. I know that is hard, but it does help. If I focus in on it, I can get panicky, which just makes the heart pound harder. So the best thing to do is not to focus in on it, and to try to just ignore it.

fisher
30-12-13, 14:10
Does anybody still come on this site

CeeCeeCee
09-01-14, 14:17
Does anybody still come on this site

Well obviously they do if you look at the recent postings? Why do you ask?