PDA

View Full Version : New to site... and new to all this!

KelHumphreys
10-02-11, 11:34
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and just wondered if any of the symptoms and feelings I'm having at the moment resonante with any of you. I've visited the site before and always found everyone to be really helpful so any support or reassurance you can give would be gratefully recieved!

I've always been a bit of a worrier, but never to this extent before, and certainly not about my health. I got married in 2009, and in February last year (2010) I came off the pill as we decided we would start trying for a family. It's since I came off the pill that my anxiety about my health has really started.

I was fine until about June time when I had a water infection, which seemed to take a long time to clear. After that it just seemed my anxiety grew, and I got another water infection in early October that wouldn't seem to shift. I then had constant stomach ache and back ache which, along with the anxiety just got worse and worse, having an upset stomach all the time. The doctor (after 4 visits as I didn't believe them each time I went) diagnosed IBS brought on by stress, as back in October I was under quite a bit of stress, with my job (as a production/ops manager for an events and communications agency), organising my Mum's 50th birthday party, organising a charity ball for St Annes Hospice and selling our house. We had just agreed an offer and were starting the ball rolling on moving finally after a year of being on the market.

After a couple of doctors visits as I became obessed with finding blood in my stools and urine (sorry if TMI!) she agreed to do a full set of blood tests, all which came back clear. I went armed with a list of questions, as my main concerns were bowel, kidney, liver or ovarian cancer. After this visit I did feel a bit better, and the back ache I had which I had believed to be IBS I think was acutally just anxiety - basically like carrying something heavy round with me.

Since October my IBS has been on and off, but for the past few weeks I've gone downhill again and my anxiety is back to an all time high. This time, it's not only my usual stomach anxiety, but I've developed since last Monday a feeling of something stuck in my throat all the time. I can swallow and eat, it's just a feeling of something stuck there. I went to the doctors and she said it was just anxiety and not to worry about it. I have an appoitment with her on Tuesday next week anyway so I can discuss it further, but having read the forums on here it seems like something many people have.

Since Tuesday this week I have also developed a funny metallic taste in my mouth which I'm wondering is also connected to the lump on the throat sensation. My other symptoms include my normal IBS stomach ache (which is mostly on the left hand side, fuelling my fear of ovarian cancer), aches in my hips, strange sensation, not pain as such, more an awareness if that makes sense, of my right breast and a tightness in the throat and chest area.

I've had a full set of blood tests and am not feeling ill other than the above symptoms. As I never had any of these symtoms or any of the anxiety feelings prior to coming off the pill I can't help but think that its possibly all hormone related and will eventually settle down. I only had my periods for 3 years prior to going on the pill, which I then took for 8 years before coming off, so it stands to reason it would take a while to fully get out of my system.

When I can think rationally, I know that most of my symptoms are probablly just anxiety and that by spending your life worrying about everything you aren't living it. I also know that I am so lucky and fortunate in everything I have - I have a wonderful family, especially my parents and grandparents who I am very close to, a fantastic husband - we have just yesterday celebrated 11 years together, with our 2nd wedding anniversary coming up in June, we are in the process of hopefully moving house to our 'long term family house', we both have good jobs and a fantastic group of friends who we spend a lot of time with. I try to tell myself this but sometimes it makes it worse as then when I am being negative it reminds me how much I have to loose!

I have become a constant checker, constantly checking my body, asking my husband and Mum if this is normal, do I need to worry about this etc. I am acutely aware of every change in my body, and cannot just have a stomach ache, I then have to obsess over what might be causing it. When I have numerous symptoms, for example at the moment the lump in throat, then the taste in the mouth, then stomach ache, I worry that something is spreading which is causing numerous problems. I worry about doctors mis-diagnosing things, and I know so many people who have experienced cancer I just think every little thing could be it. I worry that not being this obsessive about my health might lead me to miss something.

What is very odd is that still the thought of my family or friends experiencing a health problem is still worse than if it happened to me, but this near obsession is starting to take over my life. I used to be a really happy, healthy person and now I don't feel completley well a lot of the time. The episode back in June was the first time I've ever been to open surgery at my doctors and only the second appointment I've ever had with the doctor. Prior to that I'd only been to have my blood pressure checked when on the pill and for my bad skin, which had totally cleared but is now bad again due to all the anxiety!

We are now agreeing the sale of our house again (as the last sale in October fell through) and it seems odd everything has resurfaced again at this time if it wasn't just anxiety. The feelings though seem so real to me, especially this lump in my throat. I wish I could handle it better and stop thinking about it all the time as I know its a self fullfilling propecy. I've bought a book on CBT and have tried some of the exercises but I just think what if I'm missing a real health problem because I think its just anxiety... I know how ridiculous it sounds!

So finally, I'm at the docs on Tuesday for a followup appointment as I've just changed tablets for my IBS to Mebeverine, which my Mum takes as she also has IBS. I'm not a fan of medication on the whole so only take it when my stomach is bad and it seems to be working fine. As I have private healthcare, I'm wondering if I ask to be refered for a stomach scan and throat scan, get myself totally checked out and then hopefully I can relax in the knowledge that there is nothing there. I wouldn't want the NHS to pay for this just to make me feel better but as I pay for healthcare I might as well use it. Has anyone else done this and did it finally aleviate their fears, or will I just find something else to worry about? The reason I think it might work is I had to go for a heart scan last year as my Mum found out she has a bicuspid valve and enlarged aorta so all the family also had to be checked. I now never worry about my heart as the scan came back totally clear.

Phew. I actually feel a bit better getting all out.
Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks so much for listening!

Love Kelly
xx

diane07
10-02-11, 11:35
Hi KelHumphreys

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

midgey
10-02-11, 19:21
Hi Kelly, and welcome :)

I can relate to so much of your post.
My anxiety started 6 years ago, when I had pneumonia and was admitted to hospital. I am a nurse, but I was really scared when I couldn't breathe. I slept downstairs one night when this was going on, as I was coughing all night and din't want to wake my husband and 3 children. This particular night when it all started, I knew I needed an ambulance as I was struggling to breathe. I managed to wake my husband by ringing the home phone with my mobile.......I was carted off in an ambulance basically. I am haunted by the fact I had to go on my own (my husband had to stay with the children). From that night my anxiety started. Mine got worse initially, then with lots of different therapies (CBT, NLP, self help books etc), it did get better. I am constantly worrying about my health. When I had pneumonia I kept saying to the DRs that my heart wasn't right....they ignored me and said it was anxiety. To cut a long story short, I was right...I have got a mitral valve prolapse, which in itself, can lead to anxiety.
I don't mean to go on about me, I'm just hoping that my experiences will resonate with you, and this may give you some comfort. It's a lonely place to be when anxiety takes over. I have been really bad the last year, it has meant I avoid most social events and places where I don't feel safe (agoraphobia). I started medication 2 months ago, and I am beginning to notice I am less anxious than before. I'm not pro medication at all, but I do believe it can allow you a "leg up".
Have you asked your GP for a referral for CBT? It mat also help to get some good self help books. I'm currently reading the anxiety and phobia workbook. If you have private healthcare it may be an option to look at CBT in the private sector?
I'm not sure that having numerous tests is the answer though. Although you may think that once you've got the all clear your anxiety will go away, but it doesn't work like that. Once you've got the all clear for your throat for example, you will convince yourself that they have missed something. The key is dealing with the anxiety, not feeding it with "what if's".
You sound like you have lot's of support, I wish you lots of luck and this forum is a place to vent al your anxieties....we all understand as we've been there,

KelHumphreys
10-02-11, 19:55
Hi Michelle
Thanks so much for your post its so nice to hear from someone who knows what its like! Today has been a bad day as I got myself convinced there was something wrong with my tonge which now has a split from me messing with it and have now just been in tears as i feel so stupid about obsessing over every little thing. I now have bad stomach ache and back ache which i now is ibs brought on by another day of stressing. I'm at the docs on tuesday so will take your advice and ask about cbt. How are you doing now as I can certainly see why your anxiety started. How lovely having three children though how old are they? Thanks agin for your post it really helped. Hope your day was ok! Xx

Vanilla Sky
10-02-11, 22:07
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

midgey
10-02-11, 23:07
Hi Kelly,
What is it about your tongue that is worrying you? I wonder whether you could see what I was saying about not getting numerous tests done? You will never be happy with the results...u'll always be thinking "what if".
I would suggest before your GP appt that u get a couple of books from Amazon....Claire Weeks is good and the anxiety and panic workbook i mentioned earlier.
For me, my health anxiety quickly spilled into an agoraphobia. It has never been diagnosed but after reading so much about it I realised that was what it was. It may help your husband (lovely wedding pic by the way) to read the books as well, its hard for loved ones to know what to say....often what they say is the wrong thing. We all know our anxieties are irrational, but it's getting rid of it thats hard !!
My children are 16, 14 and 9. I'm 41 and live in Kent...I work part time as a health visitor.
Have a read on some of the threads on health anxiety, i'm sure that'll help,
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you, :hugs:

KelHumphreys
11-02-11, 08:35
I can totally see what you mean about getting tests done. My tongue thing was that earlier in the week I woke up with a furry, slightly yellow tongue. Now most people probally wouldn't even notice it and it would go away itself after a few days but being me I noticed it and got concerned it was connected to the lump in my throat. Then yesterday I noticed there were little red spots on the end of my tongue. They have probablly always been there, but due to my obsession of checking and rubbing it against the roof of my mouth its now got a split in it (you know how you get from eating too many boiled sweets?) and is sore. As usual, I've brought this on myself by obsessing!
I will get the books you mentioned, I have Amazon Prime so they will be here tomorrow! I'll ask my husband to read them too (thanks re wedding photo!) as although he is brilliant I think he doens't want to fuel the anxiety by checking things constantly (I must have asked him to check my tongue about a million times in the past day) he knows that its the reasurrance I crave every time doubt creeps in.
I'm determined today will be a better day. I have absolutley no reason to be concerned about my health, no family history, no illness, I don't feel unwell, it's just isolated problems I'm concerned about, like my IBS isn't IBS at all and its something more sinister, like the lump in my throat which is clearly caused by anxiety is actually some sort of horrible thing spreading to my tongue.
You know what is the wierdest thing though? Even though I'm an average weight for my height, I don't worry about loosing a few pounds to be more healthy, or about diabetes or any of the other prevelent health problems. Strange that its only these particular things, things that although unlikely, there is very few preventative measures you can take other than being aware (but not obesessive) and living a generally healthy lifestyle, that bother me!
Talking to someone who knows what I'm talking about it though really helps as you do start to think you are going slightly mad.
Off to nurse my sore tongue - am actually thinking of employing aversion therapy so everytime I want to check something, look something up or start to worry about something, I ping an elastic band on my wrist or something!
Hope you have a good day today!
xxx:hugs:

midgey
13-02-11, 15:18
HI Kelly,
Just wondered how ur feeling? Did u get any of those books from Amazon?
I've had an ok weekend, but I'm in the middle of bowel prep today for a colonoscopy tomorrow so no feeling great. Dreading tomorrow...I'll have sedation which I'm not keen on as I don't like the feeling of not being in control.
Anyway, let me know how ur feeling, I have been wondering how you are getting on.

KelHumphreys
13-02-11, 17:27
Hiya,
Lovely to hear from you!
I havent had chance to order books yet had a better weekend though especially today. Why are you having a colonoscopy? Hope you get on okay Xx

midgey
14-02-11, 18:54
Hi Kelly,
Glad you've had a better weekend. Did you do anything special ? Not that you should over analyse things, but do you know why you had a good weekend (I presume that emans no anxiety).
I had my colonoscopy.....I had it because I had some bleeding from back passage. While he was there he put bands on my haemorrhoids......bowel was all clear so all good. Having said that, it's really painful now !!
Anyway, take care, spk soon,

KelHumphreys
14-02-11, 20:30
So glad all okay with you that's great news! Have no idea why I'm feeling s bit better which is why j think the basis of much of my anxiety is hormonal which is why I can't seem to control it. At docs tomo so going to see what she thjnks as she mentioned doing a hormone test to see if there was any imbalance there which would be good to know!

How are you feeling now? My doc mentioned I could have a colonoscopy as part of my ibs diagnosis but it didnt seem necessary although at times i think it may help to know it's just ibs. I'll see what she days tomo tho.

How were you over the weekend? I went out with hubby for dinner on Fri and then met friends after, had friends over for dinner on sat eve (I love to cook) and then on sun had a fun trip to a wholesale fancy dress shop in Manchester for stuff for my friends hen nights. She's getting married in October and I'm planning her wedding as I work in events so we had fun getting props and table centres. Maybe its distraction that is the key!what did you get up to?
Xx

midgey
17-02-11, 09:55
Hi Kelly,
Wow, You seem to be doing really well. When I was first struggling with anxiety there was no way I could have gone out for a meal or met friends......so well done you for carrying on with your life.
Although I have some health anxiety, but my main issues are social aspects, like going out and situations where I feel trapped, so going to a restaurant is something I've only recently started doing again.
I have been told I have IBS by my GP ever since I've had anxiety......so when I had the colonoscopy I think he said there was no inflammation in the bowel.....not sure whether that means that it's the anxiety causing it rather than the bowel. As I had sedation I'm not 100% sure what he said to be honest !!
it'll be interesting to hear whether you have hormonal imbalances. How did u get on with your GP?
Take Care,

KelHumphreys
17-02-11, 20:07
Hi michelle
I'm trying to make sure I keep up the social aspect even if I don't feel like it - trying not to be beaten! Git on well at docs and took your advice. Not going for a scan and instead have enrolled on a cbt course. The gp also gave me some tablets to take if I am feeling anxious - proprananol. Im hoping I won't actually need to take them though - am trying just to work through it.
I'm also now taking the mebeverine three times a day and its really helping. I think the anxiety has a huge effect on ibs - I've has a really stressful day today and my back is really aching now!
Sorry to hear your anxiety has such an impact on your life, you give such great advice on here and are so friendly and outgoing its a shame you aren't ready yet to not be anxious in social situations. Our chats are really helping me though. What are you up to this weekend? Xx

midgey
17-02-11, 22:45
Hi Kelly,
I'm glad you got on so well with your GP. Propanolol helps with the symptoms of anxiety ie, fast heart rate, palpitations, but beta blockers don't actually get to the reason for the anxiety (no meds do really), so it's good that u've got a referral for CBT.
My anxiety has had such a huge inpact on my life to date.....it's ruined holidays, days out, weddings...u name it, I've been anxious in any situation you could think of. I didn't want to travel on public transport, or sit in a restaurant, so my friends are getting a bit fed up with asking me out now !!
My husband is great, but even he finds it hard sometimes.
On a positive note, I am feeling much better, not quite "normal" but better !!
I hope you have a great weekend away for your friends hen night...sounds great.
Good to speak to you again, and keep up the good positive work :D

KelHumphreys
20-02-11, 20:56
Hi Michelle
How have you got on this weekend? I've not been great today, anxiety high and have becone obsessed over past week of finding blood in stools or water, not sure why as its never happened and excessive wing means soreness all created by anxiety. Have enrolled nhs cbt course which you do at home and books are helping. It's a nightmare have spent most of today in tears and its hard to think positive when your in the anxiety isnt it? Am sorry to hear its affected your life so much but its inspiring to hear you are feeling a bit better, hope you had a lovely wkend Xx

midgey
23-02-11, 21:09
Hi Kelly,
Sorry to hear you're not feeling as positive as you were. I hope that me talking about my colonoscopy hasn't made you worry about your bowels.
I haven't done online CBT, I done mine with a counsellor, but either way, I found it really helpful.
I'm no expert, but I would encourage you to look back over our conversations that we've had on here......yours were all so positive. I find it really helps to look back and be pushed on by knowing how good things were only a week ago.
I've been writing on another thread started by someone which encourages you to write something positive everyday. Its a really good thread, but it's something counsellors encourage you to do in CBT as well......I keep a little book with positive thoughts in it......maybe something small, but it all helps.
I hope this week gets a bit better for you, Take Care,:hugs:

KelHumphreys
25-02-11, 19:54
Thanks Michelle this week has been a much better week and I've been in London for work which I thought would really set me off but it didnt so feeling good and positive thanks so much for your message it really helped. Hopefully it will be a good weekend, hope you have a lovely weekend too thanks for your support Xx

oldtime
25-02-11, 21:09
Don't panic if you do find any blood as I did, it was just a weak blood vessel that I had burst through straining.

I don't think tests do help in the long run, once you have health anxiety a clear test result only relieves the symptoms until you notice the next odd feeling in your body.

CBT and rationalising unhelpful thought's patterns seems to be the only thing that really works in the long term. I am one year down the road and my health anxiety has reduced considerably but it is still there so you have to keep practising the CBT to keep it at bay.

My doctor says that medical tests just reinforce the belief in you that you have something wrong and will only provide temporary relief, you will keep coming back for more reassurance.

What amazes me is that reading through all the health anxiety posts here I see how I was a year ago and realise how detached and irrational my thoughts had become.

KelHumphreys
03-03-11, 23:09
Thanks so much that really helps. I'm starting ny cbt course tomo so am hoping it will make a difference! I have had a better week this week despite our house purchase falling thigh again so onwards and upwards! Thanks again xx:blush:

midgey
05-03-11, 20:35
Hi Kelly,
Just wondered how you found the course? Hope you found it beneficial x

KelHumphreys
08-03-11, 21:35
Hi Michelle

It's going well thanks I'm two weeks in and I think its helping! How are you getting on? Xx