PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello...

River
20-03-04, 03:05
Hi everyone im River, 20 year old male from the west midlands area, just a brief note to intrduce myself.

I suffer from depression, anxiety and agoraphobia, im currently taking Venlafaxine M/R at 150mg.

I can be a little quiet at times, please no one take this personally, just shout at me until i answer you :)

Looking forward to meeting you all soon.

kate
20-03-04, 10:47
Hiya River,

Welcome to the site!

I'm from the West midlands, Birmingham.

Have a good look round the site there is loads of good information there.

Anyway, once again welcome.

Kate x

Meg
20-03-04, 11:24
Hi River ,

Welcome on board.

I hope you can get to post some more and share with us.
How agoraphobic are you and are you doing anything else apart from meds to help you ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Jellybean
20-03-04, 11:55
Hi River..Just wanted to say hello and let you know that there are many people here that can help you understand and cope with your problems. Jellybean

River
20-03-04, 12:37
Hi again and thanks for the welcome, as i said i can be quiet, especially when it comes to talking about myself, so if anyone wants to know anything just ask away.

Im not yet able to leave the house on my own, but i find it much less of a problem if im either with a friend or in a car (I dont drive myself), my fear would definately be going out alone on foot, something i have only managed twice in almost 2 years.

I see my CPN every week or sometimes every other week, and im on the waiting list to see a psychiatrist, have been told it could be a long wait.

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming,

River

Jellybean
20-03-04, 13:22
River, there was a time when I was in my late 20's when I had a hard time even walking out to the mailbox. I had two little children at home and I can't explain how hard it was. Driving was impossible for a while or if I did drive, I white-knuckled it all the way. I am now 52 and working full time and driving most places. Driving still is not my favorite thing to do if I have to go on busy highways or over long bridges. But, my life is so much better than is was back then. I have seen many therapists and been on many medications that have helped me through this. I am currently taking Paxil in a low dose and Xanax as needed. Don't give up. Jellybean

Meg
20-03-04, 17:36
Hi River ,
what does your CPN do each week with you to address these issues ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

me
20-03-04, 19:00
hello river its nice to hear from you .dont be shy goodness, i have shared so much with these lovely people, they are so good, they never judge. keep in touch take care from mary x

nomorepanic
20-03-04, 20:08
Hi River

We met in the chat room last night.

Welcome to the message forum!

I am sure you won't be that quiet in here - we won't let you - lol.

Nicola

River
21-03-04, 05:10
Thanks again to everyone for being so welcoming.

My CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse if anyone was wondering) talks about and explains the physical affects of my panic attacks, and what causes the symptoms of an attack, the whole flight or fight response. She gives advice and ways of controlling and coping with the panic, like breathing and muscle relaxation exercises, and she has given me a lot of information on this to read at home. She also suggested i went on a confidence building type course as i have problems with going anywhere where there will be large groups of people, anything above 3 or 4 people in a room at once and i cant handle it, even with family and people i know. I wasnt entirely comfortable with the idea, so i might try something like that in the future. This was not a problem and dont feel pressured by them to do anything i dont want to.

Most recently we have been working on gradual exposure to my fears, she will kind of set me a little task of sorts, going for a walk just to the end of my driveway, then perhaps the next week going a little further etc. Again there is no pressure put on me to force myself into doing anything i feel i cant handle.

Although i've made little progress since i started seeing the CPN, i find it very helpfull and im glad i pushed myself into going in the first place. It's helped me to realise im not alone in these feelings and fears and that one day perhaps i will be able to lead a more "normal" (hate that word lol) life.

River.

Rennie1989
21-03-04, 19:49
welcome to the forum river

nice chattin today? lol

jade

River
21-03-04, 21:32
Hi Scooter Girl, thanks for the welcome, was nice chatting with you today :)

River.

Rennie1989
21-03-04, 21:42
it was, wasnt it

jade

sorry, scooter girl

red
21-03-04, 23:40
Hi River

Just to say hello and welcome to the message forum, glad to see you are settling in - which doesn't surprise me! We said hello in the chat room the other night - I think it was your first night in there? We can all empathise with what you are going through to one degree or another and, I'm sure everybody will echo the fact that your progress could well be spurred on now that you have found us! Good luck and keep smiling!

Red
x