PDA

View Full Version : This Weight Loss Issue again !

Zee
10-02-11, 21:40
I read that weight loss is common with anxiety/depression.

This is the background..has anyone been through similar?

February 09.. Sinus and muscle tension issues after previous 6 years of losses and upsets. I want eating as well as normal and lost about 5 lb.
Saw GP March 09 who ran FBC and lsitened to my anxiety symptoms. FBC came back great and he wasnt concerned that I was then eating approx 1000 cals a day. He said eating would come back when I felt better about things
Eating didnt come back..I couldnt accept there was nothing wrong so I started fretting more and although hungry, just couldnt up the calories.
Tried relaxation,self help books,hypnotherapy,self talking and a counsellor. She lifted the anxiety a little for me. I lost 40 lb in 12 months...
I then started to feel depression for first time ever but fought it and started to up the calories to 1200-1300, I began to feel a bit better and by Xmas 2010 was up to 1500 cals and maintaining my weight.
I then developed a fissure which really upset me even though I had one before but I didnt have HA then.
So, I cut the daily cals intake again and have lost another pound weight!
Im now in a vicious circle...how can I put weight on ?? I need approx 1800-1900 daily apparently to do this.
I have a good colour,healthy hair and nails and look well but am hiding this awful anxiety/depression and trying to cope.
How do you cope and get back to some normality ?

Greenman50
10-02-11, 22:00
Hi

I,m new to this anxiety and depression , but i have lost 2 stone in three / four months . Some of the weight loss was due to a chronic sore throat , so couldn,t eat , then acid stomach problems , then anxiety and depression , then the citralapram i got put on knocked my apetite back to a bowl of cereal and a can of soup a day .

But in the last three weeks i,ve put on 9-10 lb as i can,t stop eating , i believe its the meds that do this . They have made me feel much better .

Just two thoughts , is worth being on meds for anxiety and depression to get yourself settled ? , or could you try higher calorie food or protein shakes .
I,m male over 6 2" and was slightly over weight so thats why my weight dropped quick over the months .

I,m currently 15 sone 10 lbs , and hope i stay at this . I know this probably isn,t much help but wanted to reply .

Zee
11-02-11, 10:27
Thank you Mel.

I had also put a lot of weight on before all of this started so maybe thats why it was easier to come off.
I dont know too much about nutrition but by checking on various nutrition sites and info from my counsellor it seems that eating 1200-1300 cals a day at my current weight certainly wont put any weight back on.. I need min 1800 daily to put a 1lb per week on. When anx/depresss continues I think im right in saying that cals get burned quicker?
I am annoyed with myself because even at 1500 cals I managed for a while I was able to maintain the weight rather than lose any more.
I have problems with foods as well which doesnt help. Wheat, carbs, fruit all upset my system.
I tried Complan shake but that was too rich for me..
Ive avoided meds to be honest, just a personal thing.

Mic
11-02-11, 20:37
Hi Zee

I too avoided meds as the side effects worry me and coming off them do too, other reasons for not taking them that's another story. i too lost 9lb and then seemed to gain then lost, I can't keep the calories up either but I just stop thinking about it now as it seemed like a chore to eat and worry and now I just ignore the weight loss I feel better and can maintain a weight, apart from having to replace my clothes am happy with my newfound slimness if you look ok I wouldn't worry too much, I look pale and drawn!!:weep: but hey spring is on it's way and that much needed sun.:D Yes also anxiety burns off cals too, I eat lots of bananas and readybrek this too helps and drinking milk and lots of water helps too.good luck