PDA

View Full Version : afraid of going to docs for pas

a-little-room-to-breathe
31-03-06, 17:07
hi!
im really scared about going to the doctors for these panic attacks, i dont usually get scared of doctors, but my anxiety has come way way up since my last visit, and i dont really enjoy leaving the house. my dads scheduled an appointment, but i cant tell him i dont want to go because he wont understand.
i know i should go to the doctors because i really need help with my life and this stuff, but im scared!! im scared they wont believe me i think, because lots of people act like i should just 'get over myself' and im worried the doctor will think so!!
arrggghhhh!! does anyone ever feel like they're going completely crazy without actually having a panic attack? thats me right now.

luv, katie xxx

crazychick
31-03-06, 17:13
Hi Kate,
don't worry about going to your doctor - they do understand and can be very helpful. Since i started taking attacks five years ago my Gp's have been really helpful.
Imoved last September and i was so worried about getting my new doctor and that he or she would not understand me and would tell me to get over myself and to get a grip so i kept my GP over 2 hours away till my attacks were so bad my work forced me to get a GP closer to me and i was petrified the first time i visited her in January and i walked in and burst into tears and told her i couldn't cope anymore and she was brilliant.
if your worried about leaving the house could you phone and ask for a home visit? My old GP used to visit me at home when my attacks were very bad.
hope that helps a bit.
lauren

sillymoo
31-03-06, 17:15
hi there katie.firstly calm down your defenatly not going crazy.i to have panic attacks arent they bloody awful.i think its good that ur dad has made you an appoitment to the doctors and dont worry the doctor wont think your silly or tell you to pull yourself toghether.you will be suprissed how many people suffer from these your not alone.no matter how scared you feel go to that appoitment and tell the doctor everything and im sure the doctor will give you lots of reassurance.plz let us know how ur getting on love .feel free to pm me anythime big hugs to u .you take care luv mooxXx

jill
31-03-06, 18:33
Hi Katie :D

My heart goes out to you hun, I know how scared you are. The GP WILL believe you. I have a daughter age 12 who is having problems with school because of panic and anxiety. I sat at my GP's and listened to my daughter explain everything. The GP was very helpfull. My daughter is still getting help for her problem, BUT she is moving on a little.

Doctors are there to help, not to judge.
You are a strong young lady, your looking for help yourself, on this site and thats great [^]:D

It helps to write things down, things you want to say to the GP, tell the GP how you feel, what these attacks are stopping you from doing.
The GP will ask you questions, but don't worry about that because believe me, YOU WILL know the answers.

I know you feel like you are compelety crazy. BUT your not, this is all part of anixety. YOU are NOT going crazy.

I know you are scared, but with the right help support and time, you CAN learn how to feel better.
Look on going to the doctors as a step forward, I know its easyer said than done. The doctor WILL help you.When is your appointment for[?]

Take care Katie and let us know how you get on.

LOVE JILLXXX

Piglet
31-03-06, 18:47
Katie,

Don't be scared mate the doctor is there to help and believe me he will have heard this story many times before. So so so many people suffer with the same as you and it helps to have the support of a good doctor.

Let us know how you get on :):)

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

a-little-room-to-breathe
31-03-06, 20:52
Thanks for the support everybody, it means a lot to me! :D im not sure exactly when the appointment is but its not for a while so i have time to plan everything i need to say. doctors have to keep things confidential, dont they?

luv katie xxx

Karen
31-03-06, 22:34
Hi Katie

Yes what you say to the doctor is confidential.

It is a good idea to write a list of what you want to say so you don't forget anything which is easy to do when feeling anxious.

The fear of being crazy is common but this will not happen.

I'm new! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3739)
http://www.nomorepanic.org.uk/lounge/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1299
Madness (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5154)
mentally ill?! worries (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5335)
Its happening again ! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6094)
hearing voices (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7332)

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

crazychick
31-03-06, 23:08
i've also found it easier in the past to write down exactly how i'm feling with attacks and let the doctor read it - this is especially good when like me you are prone to burst intotears and not be able to speak.
let us know how the appointment goes but really don't worry about it - the dr's really are there to help.
lauren

weepinky
01-04-06, 18:31
hi hun

I was like you and was terrified at the thought of going to the docs but believe me you will feel a whole lot of relief after you do - you will find them understanding. Let us know how it goes.

Love Pinky

a-little-room-to-breathe
02-04-06, 10:47
right, my appointment is on the 25th of April- and im so terrified, i really am!!! iv spent my whole life being a very quiet, very hidden person when it comes to my emotions, or iv tried to be. im not very good at telling people how i feel, i just have major trust issues, and i dont know what to do!!!! any advice because i feel like im losing my mind, im so scared!!!!

katie xxx

"If I can wipe from any human cheek, a tear,
Convince one man that hope and heaven are near,
Create more joy, more hope, less pain,
And though not one shall know my name nor drop a flower on my grave,
I shall not have lived in vain while here."