PDA

View Full Version : my vomiting phobia hell,,

Ashtonsmam
31-03-06, 17:45
Since being blessed with an anxiety disorder i have developed quite a few phobias,,i have a really bad fear of being sick (mostly in public) i dont seem too bothered about other people being sick just myself,,its really getting out of hand recently,,i wont eat if i have to go out anywhere just incase i need to be sick while im out,,so i wait until i get back home before eating this can sometimes be around 6pm before i eat,,if i do have anything to eat then something comes up where i need to go out i panic like hell,,recently i seem to be getting frightened about being sick while at home too,,so basically being sick in general is worrying me,,i havent been sick for about 2-3 year so i cant rememer what its like so i think my anxiety is just blowing the act of being sick out of preportion,,i really think if this phobia gets any worse ill end up agoraphobic or something or anorexic just to avoid my fears,,has anyone got any ideas what i can do?? thankyou:D

Ammeg
31-03-06, 18:15
hey ash!!
well first im sorry to hear bout your phobia, I wouldnt be able to cope with it as I am sick everytime I go out!! I thought I would reply as the thing ur scared of happens to me!!! Now im not known for being tackful with anything i say so please dont think im being nasty!!!! So you havent been sick in 2-3yrs? And even though you think your gonno be sick- u never r?!! Thats all you can remind yourself, just remember that you have felt this way before and its the anxiety tryin to put you down, try and fight it, try and set yourself a goal like to eat something small and see how you feel!! thats all the advice i can give really!! But there are lots of people who have a phobia like you and they will have some even better advice!!
Hope i helped a bit!!
Ammegxx

tammyg
31-03-06, 22:01
Hi, it's a horrible fear isn't it! Well the first thing you could do is look for past posts on this topic by searching and see if you can relate to any of them.

I have this fear as well (more of being sick anywhere than just in public) and as hard as it is the only way to start overcoming it is to start dealing with it.

I completely understand where you are coming from over the food. Until just before Christmas I wouldn't eat anything I hadn't prepared myself. Nothing. No meals out, no ready made meals, not a thing.

Then I got to the point where I thought why??! I know my main fear but what is to say that eating food will lead to it? And it was hard but after joining here and reading and learning I started dealing with it.

I'm not saying I enjoy eating out (yet.. I'm sure I will get there) but I can do it with just niggly worries which I manage to ignore. It has improved my social life no end, you don't realise how much eating out goes on until you join in!

Anyway, obviously that is just my experience and just once way to start. I haven't fully dealt with my main fear yet but sometimes it's the smaller ones you develop through avoidance that can be so restricting.

I hope you get some other good ideas.

Tammy x