PDA

View Full Version : my anxiety is so severe now

colleen224
12-02-11, 03:19
I am 38 years old, suffer from severe health anxiety and am in a horrible place right now. I have had digestive problems for about six weeks and gone through EXTENSIVE testing, including blood tests, urinalysis, abdominal ultrasound, abdominal CT scan with contrast and an endoscopy. I was diagnosed with gastritis and a small hiatal hernia. Before that, I was convinced that I have stomach cancer. However, instead of being relieved that I do not have stomach cancer, I am now convinced that I have ovarian cancer because certain digestive symptoms are symptoms of ovarian cancer. I am going to start therapy again (had it about two years ago) because I am scared that I will not get out of this vicious cycle.

My question is, when you obsess about a particular condition, can anxiety actually cause physical symptoms that mimic that condition?

kah
12-02-11, 08:41
Oh yes!!!!
Last year I was convinced I had ovarian cancer, had an ultrasound, got the all-clear and the pain suddenly disappeared. Then my HA anxiety transferred to me thinking I had a brain tumour, ended up in hospital for the night, tests all clear and within a few days the pain had gone. Thought I had breast cancer, lots of pain under my armpits, had ultra-sound got the all-clear and the pain went.

Moral of the story.....yes in my case my mind is so strong that it causes the pain. I think maybe to begin with I have a small 'normal' pain, which my mind focuses on and blows it out of all proportion. People without HA wouldn't give the pain a second thought.

K xx