PDA

View Full Version : Feeling detached, worried I'm losing it

Rhys1879SAFC
12-02-11, 11:25
Hi all, I'm new here and felt that if I talked about this it might make me feel better.

A few of years ago I had problems with anxiety, it seemed to completely take over my life and it lasted for months on end. But then, gradually, I managed to overcome it, it took months but finally I got back to feeling like my old self again.

That was way back in late 2008, and I've felt fantastic since then, well up until the last month or so anyway. I began to feel anxious again about a week after new year, I think it was brought on because I had a mild ear infection, so there was this constant ringing noise in my left ear. I was finding it difficult to sleep and because of this I was feeling tired and just generally depressed. The doctor proscribed me the suitable anti-biotics and within a couple of weeks my ear infection had cleared up... the trouble is my anxiety didn't disappear with it.

I've took a bad turn in the last week, with constant fears about going insane, and this horrible detached feeling, as though I'm living in a dream world. I've heard about this sort of thing before, and its not nice.

My Dad also suffered from anxiety when he was my age so I think this could be genetic, he's managed to beat it all now but I need abit of help to get over the finishing line.

Baster9
12-02-11, 14:47
Well you are totally fine mate, just live with it and don't fight it, if you are actually aware about this stuff than actually you are not going insane. People that are insane are not aware of that thing... You are fine nothing to worry about...

Cheers

phil06
12-02-11, 14:58
I've took a bad turn in the last week, with constant fears about going insane, and this horrible detached feeling, as though I'm living in a dream world. I've heard about this sort of thing before, and its not nice.

Yes that's derealization/depersonalization check it out n the symptoms page here it's common with anxiety.

I've been feeling this way for months.

European
12-02-11, 16:16
"My Dad also suffered from anxiety when he was my age so I think this could be genetic">Rhys1879SAFC

There is no evidence that anxiety is genetic. Fear is a learned behaviour.

As such, are there any negative and self-defeating attitudes, behaviour patterns or ways of thinking that have rubbed off on you from your Dad?

daisycake
12-02-11, 16:49
"My Dad also suffered from anxiety when he was my age so I think this could be genetic">Rhys1879SAFC

There is no evidence that anxiety is genetic. Fear is a learned behaviour.

As such, are there any negative and self-defeating attitudes, behaviour patterns or ways of thinking that have rubbed off on you from your Dad?

I don't know about that - it was the first thing I was asked in CBT, is there a family history and yes there is with me - my mum, my dad, my sister, both my maternal and paternal grandparents, their parents and their parents even have had problems like this - a lot of it quite severe .. *Could* be learnt behaviour, but I was told any children I choose to have, have a much stronger chance of developing mental health difficulties due to this.

I do agree though, you can pick up a lot from your folks without realising it.. I've had this feeling all day too - due to lack of sleep - you're not alone. Hope you feel better soon x

pkm
12-02-11, 18:16
Fear of going insane/losing control is a common symptom of anxiety (and more commonly panic disorder (are you experiencng panic attacks?)). However as mentioned by another member if you where going insane/losing control you would not be aware of it or have these thoughts.

Again as mentioned by another member the dream like state you talk of sounds like the feels of unreality that can often be a symptom of anxiety and panic.

As for whether its genetic, there are many theories as to why some people have difficulties with anxiety while others don't. However it's important to remember that as your father got over his difficulties so can you.

What is important is what is currently keeping the problem going.
I would highly recommend you read up on panic (specificly a CBT book) or better still if possible think about contacting a Cognitive behavioural therapist.

I wish you well.

Rhys1879SAFC
12-02-11, 21:33
Thankyou very much for all your help people.

I'm continuing to think positive thoughts as much as I can and its helping a lot, the depersonalisation or derealisation seems to have wore off abit.

I'm going to speak to my GP on Monday and see if I can be referred to a therapist or someone to talk to.

Rhys1879SAFC
13-02-11, 11:14
Just been for a driving lesson and in the middle of it derealisation struck again, needless to say alot of mistakes were made.

Its strange because I woke up feeling fine and now this has really cheesed me off, I just wish it would go away.