PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety with a virus

jothenurse
12-02-11, 21:32
Does anyone have a lot of trouble when they have a virus and the anxiety/panic problem? I have a fever, cough, and chills. Everyone around me at work has either had pneumonia, bronchitis, or strep throat. I am trying to get myself relaxed, and tell myself this is just a cold/virus, but it makes me feel spacey and achy and I get the spaciness with my anxiety. Any help/suggestions?

jillyb
12-02-11, 21:38
It's difficult isn't it?! You try and tell yourself it's nothing, but then the anxiety mind starts its nonsense and before you know where you are you've gone into catastrophizing mode!!!! On the plus side, if you were really ill I don't think you'd be posting on here! Hope you feel better soon x

jothenurse
12-02-11, 22:20
Thanks. I'm a nurse, too. I keep trying to tell myself it's just a cold and chills with a fever. But when I get the chills, my stomach feels icky and of course I get panicky when my stomach gets upset. Sipping on some chicken noodle soup. Trying to tell myself I need to eat something. I also keep telling myself that this is stupid how I feel. It's just a virus. I also get nervous because part of my anxiety/panic is a rapid pulse. My pulse is elevated now, in the 90's, which isn't high per se, and I keep telling myself that this is normal when you have a fever.
Sometimes I feel like such a child (I'm 57, actually my birthday is today).

macc noodle
12-02-11, 23:58
Happy Birthday Jo !

You know the answer don't you to the rapid pulse - STOP TAKING IT! I can't tell you how many hours I wasted counting my pulse - through the night included!! I used to make deals with myself that if it fell to 60 I would stop - well of course it would not when it was in racing mode and then when it went really slowly I would make deals that I would stop when it hit 75-80 - mad really but I would spend hour after hour being tormented by my anxiety.

So hun, how miserable having a virus on your birthday - hope you can enjoy it anyway and stop fretting over the pulse - it is just one of those things with anxiety.

:)

Jan

jothenurse
13-02-11, 00:26
Thanks, Jan. Yeah, I know. I shouldn't check it. I can feel it elevated, so I check it. I used to do it all the time, but then actually stopped doing it all the time. With this virus, I have been doing it more again.

macc noodle
13-02-11, 00:29
Anxiety is a real bummer !

Hope the virus clears up soon and you feel better.

Happy birthday

:D