PDA

View Full Version : Hello

michaelp
13-02-11, 21:30
Updated 9th .June 2011

I have been unwell since September 2008 when there was a sudden onset of depression and anxiety. I seem to be over sensitive to AD's, having tried and failed (after maybe a few weeks of each) with Amytriptylene, Citalopram, Mirtazapine and Duloxetine.
I was taking Escitalopram from May to December 2010, but stuggled - very slowly - to get to the "theraputic" dose, at which point the side effects became intolerable, and there seemed no way back even as I reduced the dosage. Escitalopram was a big improvement over Citalopram though. I then tried Sertraline briefly. I am even sensitive to alcohol, and have never really been able to drink much beyond an occasional glass of wine, as it also just has unpleasant side effects.
I started taking Diazepam 5mg on and off in September 2009, and since May 2010, I was taking 5mg/day, three weeks out of four.
I then tried Mirtazapine again. A few weeks at 7.5mg, then up to 15mg. I have to take it very slowly, or it will fail. After 3 months it seemed like Mirtazapine was making me worse especially the anxiety; it was rather sedating, but otherwise side effects weren't too bad.

(The first time I tried Mirtazapine the side effects weren't too bad - apart from irritability. This time it was dreadful when I first started - my first experience of those brain zaps, which I am quite certain was due to the SSRI, despite having tapered off very slowly. I had to leave it another month, then the Mirtazapine was as before. I believe Mitazapine has a contrary machanism to SSRI's and thus exacerbated the effects of stopping SSRI. Actually, whist the brain zaps were disconcerting, they were not really that unpleasant.)

I have had a couple of courses of CBT in Primary Care which were helpful, and a course with a counsellor who did not think she could help me. I not got on with doing the "Beating the Blues" internet course very well, although I think it is a good thing; it's hard to be bothered when you can do it whenever.

I am now referred to Adult Mental Health services, and have completed an 18 weeks course of Inter-Personal Therapy with a clinical Psychologist. A Psychiatrist then had me try Quetiapine, which gave me sinus imflammation headache and was very sedative, but did calm me somewhat.
I have now started Agomelatine 25mg, which has not had the usual horrible side effects immediately, and feels promising; but it's early days. I am also taking 5mg Diazepam every day, and can take 2 or 4mg more 'as required'.

I have been reading NMP for a while, and thought it was about time I joined. Thank you to everybody for this resource that has already been helpful to me.

diane07
13-02-11, 21:33
Hi michaelp

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Vanilla Sky
13-02-11, 21:46
Hi and welcome to NMP:welcome:
Paige x

Veronica H
14-02-11, 16:17
:welcome:to NMP Michael. Glad that you have found us.

Veronicax