PDA

View Full Version : Bug or antibiotics???

Angelai
13-02-11, 21:37
I finished a course of metronidazole (evil antibiotic) on Friday evening, taken for a gum infection. I was completely wiped out by it - exhausted, lightheaded/dizzy, no strength or energy at all, spent whole days in bed. Yesterday I ventured out, just felt fragile/a bit drunk. Today, I had stomach cramps when I got up, felt lousy, so went back to bed until around 3pm. I feel useless still! Hardly got the energy to move off the sofa, gurgling, gripey stomach. I'm wondering if it's still the antibiotics making me ill, or a bug, or maybe just system complaining after I wiped out all my good bacteria?

Thanks for any thoughts (am severe emetophobic, so you can imagine what this is doing to my panic!)

ladybird64
13-02-11, 22:46
Hi :)

A couple of thoughts, hope nothing offends.

I agree that Metronidazone is horrible (I have had it too) but it shouldn't cause such strong side effects that you are unable to get out of bed!

Were you managing to eat properly while you were taking it? If not, I'm wondering if this is the cause for your extreme reactions..I remember it made me light-headed and a bit headachy but nothing more than that.
I am on quite a combination of other medications as well.

If you haven't been eating properly, that might be contributing towards your gripy tummy..perhaps just stick to very light foods for the time being.

If you can, try and avoid lying down too much as it won't do your tum any favours. It will also make you concentrate more on how you are physically feeling and as an emetophobe I'm guessing you can do without that at the moment!

Hope you start to feel a bit brighter soon :flowers:

nomorepanic
13-02-11, 22:54
I hate that antibitoic with a passion.

As you know you cannot drink any alcohol with it at all.

This means that you need to not drink 3 for about 3 days after finishing it as well!

This could be why you are feeling rough

Angelai
13-02-11, 23:42
Thanks, I appreciate your replies.

Nicola - I don't drink any alcohol at all, I just felt like I had yesterday! You're absolutely right though, alcohol is a definite no on this med.

Ladybird - you make some good points there. I actually have an appalling diet, loads of chocolate and not much else :blush: so I shouldn't be surprised at how I feel. I hadn't really thought of the lying down all day being a bad idea, I think you're right though.

I have IBS too, it's probably just a combination of factors do you think? I'm hoping that putting other night between me and the last pill will make a difference.

Thanks again

:hugs:

nomorepanic
13-02-11, 23:47
ahh sorry I thought you had been drinking alcohol lol

your diet needs looking at as well and remember that chocolate has caffeine in it which is bad for anxiety

JaneC
13-02-11, 23:52
Hi Angelai, I've had loads of stomach probs after antibiotics recently (not that one thankfully). In addition to eating better, get hold of some probiotic yoghurt if you can face it and/or a probiotic supplement - I find them really helpful xx

Angelai
14-02-11, 00:03
Nicola, I may not have minded so much if I had been on the vodka :D it's been years since I did that though! I know the chocolate is very bad, why can't I stop??!

I've been reading about probiotics today, I'm a bit scared though because I tried a probiotic yoghurt AGES ago and it gave me a really upset stomach/diarrhea :weep:.

I know I should start with trying to eat better, and I need to be reminded every now and then - thank you. I find it easier to listen when it comes from people who understand how I feel, so NMP is a great help :hugs:

Right, now I need to stop prodding that one little spot in my belly that hurts when I prod it... :wacko: