PDA

View Full Version : coughing hard

jothenurse
14-02-11, 02:19
Has anybody coughed so hard it was like your throat went into a spasm and you couldn't breathe right? Like when you inhale something and it's like you have a spasm? It really scared me. It was like for a few minutes I was trying to breathe but like my throat was closed off or swollen.
Kind of scared it will happen again.
I've had a cough and fever the last couple of days.

blueangel
14-02-11, 09:30
Yes, I definitely know what you mean here, as I'm prone to this myself if I get a bad cold. I will cough until I'm almost sick - I've got used to it over the years but it tends to frighten other people more than me now!

macc noodle
14-02-11, 09:35
Hi Jo

Yes - know what you mean and, unfortunately, if you panic it gets worse!!

If you are still congested from your cold, why not try some steam inhalation to soothe the old tubes?

Jan
x

jothenurse
14-02-11, 11:58
Thanks for your replies.

jothenurse
14-02-11, 16:03
Made myself come to work today, because my fever is better (though may still have a low grade temp), but stll have the cough. I'm still scared from last night having that coughing episode where it seemed like I choked on something. (kind of like when you choke on your own saliva). One of the nurses I work with said maybe I had a mucous plug or something I coughed up. She said my lungs didn't have any wheezing in them. But, of course, I am scared I have pneumonia or something or that I'll get a bad coughing spell and choke. I also feel a little bit short of breath when I talk, so I get scared. Do you think this is anxiety?
A lot of staff here that I work with have had this plus strep, and some with pneumonia.