PDA

View Full Version : The expectancy/distraction techniques

GunMetal
14-02-11, 06:41
Hey guys, apologies if any of this has been posted before. I just wondered if anyone had any distraction techniques to make driving easier? I work in the community as a hca so am pretty much driving all day. Once i get to my first call on a morning i tend to be fine and be able to cope but its the driving from my house, through town to the other side of York to get to where i work that i always struggle with. And the same with driving back home. But i find now that the only reason any of it happens is because as soon as i wake on a morning my first thought is "oh i have to drive to get to the start of work" or something along those lines. I don't feel unwell at the moment but i'm nervous and i can see that as soon as i start driving the hyperventilation will start, i can't focus properly and i feel like crying/screaming!
I just wondered if anyone knew of any breathing exercises or techniques to curb these thoughts or put a stop to the anxiety when it begins.

Thanks in advance :-)
Jen x

zilzie
14-02-11, 08:49
Hi Jen,

Well first ask yourself is it the driving or the thought of work that triggers the fear?

Cos one of the only times I feel really calm is if I'm driving! I think it's cos I feel safe and in control,and the world can't get at me. (Maybe you should try this thought.)

Otherwise, friends tell me the breathing technique is great whilst driving and it doesn't interfere with concentration, but does distract from the worry.

Good luck, let us if it helps.

Zilzie

sarahblonde32
14-02-11, 10:36
I too love driving, especially if i am alone, i feel safe, in control and i go where i like, sing to whatever music i like and take my time, unless i am late then i get stressed out!
sarah

GunMetal
14-02-11, 10:38
Hiya Zilzie thanks for your reply.
Its definately the driving and not work. I love my job and i have issues with anxiety driving anywhere thats a longer distance than a few miles from home! I've been doing breathing techniques this morning and also took on board a comment on a sticky post on the forum about my tongue tensing on the roof of my mouth making my throat tense and sore and making me hyperventilate. Taking all this on board i actually haven't had any anxiety yet this morning touch wood it will continue! :-)

Jen

Patsta
14-02-11, 23:38
Hi GunMetal,
When I first started suffering from anxiety 9 years ago, I couldn't even get in the car and drive, reason being, 2 panic attacks in one week, whilst I was driving! I don't know what triggered them, I know I was run down, and going through a tough time, but nonetheless I used to love driving! Nine years on, I still suffer from anxiety, have been on and off meds, and to this day, if I am feeling tired or run down, and not on meds, I will get a little anxiety when I drive.
Try not to overbreathe when you feel anxious, as this will cause hyperventilation. Instead, concentrate on relaxing your jaw and tongue (I find myself doing that all the time too!) and breathe in through your nose and out your mouth. Don't take too many deep breaths, just try to regulate your breathing instead.

GunMetal
15-02-11, 06:41
hiya thanks for your reply :-)
I actually did a lot better yesterday and touch wood today goes ok. I was a lot more aware yesterday that when i started feeling anxious, my tongue was fused to the top of my mouth and instead of regular breathing i noticed i was breathing in deep and hardly breathing out.
Although, to remedy the tongue thing i got a bit silly and instead just decided to stick my tongue out and wiggle it about so it didn't have a chance to go to the top of my mouth. Successful, but i'm sure anyone i drove past yesterday thought i'd lost the plot.

Thanks
Jen x

GunMetal
15-02-11, 19:02
Am off out tonight with my partner which i normally hate doing on an evening! Its always worse for me going out on a night, i think its because i associate evening/nighttime as being a relax and chill out time so going out and putting stress on myself really throws me off making my anxiety worse. Plus knowing i'm going out means i'm thinking about it all day and working myself up about it. I have been trying to relax on the sofa, listening to music, doing my shopping list etc but i'm still aware my hearts beating through my chest and feel anxious. Any suggestions?

Jen x